Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pound for pound what’s the best colour ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
black - free
Grey - £950
Blue - £950
White - £1450
Red- £1950

I feel like I don’t like black so I quite like blue (£950 and I currently have a blue car) , £1450 is a lot for white (which might soon be free) and I love red which means surely worth the £500 over white... but then £2k for a colour choice seems a lot!

I feel like pound for pound blue is best but that if we got free white that would be best .....

Thoughts ?

One of the oddities of Tesla. An innovative and interesting car yet the colour options are the dullest there is. They chose to offer the USA's 5 most popular car colours, as I understand it. I'd have thought they'd have it in them to offer something to tempt those wanting a bit more interest on this front. It must cost a lot of money to offer more choice?

I went for blue, but it's a very sort of generic car blue.

One of the oddities of Tesla. An innovative and interesting car yet the colour options are the dullest there is. They chose to offer the USA's 5 most popular car colours, as I understand it. I'd have thought they'd have it in them to offer something to tempt those wanting a bit more interest on this front. It must cost a lot of money to offer more choice?

Blue looks well with the white interior. This was the combination on display in the showroom in Cambridge when I visited last week.
I’ve ordered boring Grey but not going to change now

It must cost a lot of money to offer more choice?

I don't think it is that, but rather their logistics and ability to ramp up volume production. They had huge problems initially learning how to be a "volume producer" and I think this was part of their choice of solution ... so maybe more choice in future, or all the Chinese ones will be another different colours perhaps :)

Reactions: EVMeister
Blue looks well with the white interior. This was the combination on display in the showroom in Cambridge when I visited last week.
I’ve ordered boring Grey but not going to change now

I went for blue with white seats. I've always had a hankering for a car with a light interior. In my opinion the options are all conservative, so all a bit "boring", but equally none is bad as such and the cars are very nicely designed so that shows through. I think the red in particular is a lovely red but it's expensive, so "pound for pound" I can't split them. The grey is nice too, I had a grey demo car for a few days, but I insisted on some weird point of principle that for the first and probably only time in my life I buy a new car it couldn't be a grey one!

Anyone know how sales have been split between the colours to date? Seems pretty even from the relatively few S & Xs I've seen on UK roads.

Last edited:

These colours are the same colours as are offered in the US. There are no other colours in the US, though there was a light silver that was dropped maybe a year ago.

I don't think it is that, but rather their logistics and ability to ramp up volume production. They had huge problems initially learning how to be a "volume producer" and I think this was part of their choice of solution ... so maybe more choice in future, or all the Chinese ones will be another different colours perhaps :)
I heard a podcast recently that mentioned paint. Apparantly Elon musk said there wouldn't be new colours anytime soon as the problem becomes the cost of keeping all the colours available for repairs etc.

It mentioned some of the more rare colours that the Model S had like Signature Red, Brown (really?) and Green which while discontinued need to be kept on stock. Personally I couldn't see their being a huge cost associated with this as there wouldn't have been much volume of vehicles for those colours, so you wouldn't need as much paint... but hey what do I know!

I guess every penny counts (e.g removing usb cables from model 3's) when streamlining costs.

Well it's lucky they didn't choose the 5 most "popular" colours in the uk, otherwise the choice would have been:-

white, light grey, medium grey, dark grey or black.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
black - free
Grey - £950
Blue - £950
White - £1450
Red- £1950

I feel like I don’t like black so I quite like blue (£950 and I currently have a blue car) , £1450 is a lot for white (which might soon be free) and I love red which means surely worth the £500 over white... but then £2k for a colour choice seems a lot!

I feel like pound for pound blue is best but that if we got free white that would be best .....

Thoughts ?

Black is the best value pound for pound simply because it's free and very unlikely to affect residual value. But I personally prefer all of the other colours and went for pearl white. I would jump instantly on a free solid white option.