TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Powder Coat base wheels the Metallic Gray?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Chevrltz71, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Chevrltz71

Chevrltz71 Member

I'm thinking of getting my base wheels powdercoated metallic gray for my winter tires to match my TSportline 19" turbines. Thoughts? I haven't seen any pics of anyone who has done this.

Thanks

2. John Stuckey

John Stuckey Member

I like that idea! We have the stock 19" turbines and I thought when we ordered them that I wish there was a gray option.

3. Chevrltz71

Chevrltz71 Member

The biggest reason I would is the fact my exterior color is the light silver. The darker wheels really set off the car. But I hate to "waste" the base wheels merely for appearance sake since they function just fine.

I would just love to see some and hear a report. I don't love being a Guinea pig! Ha

4. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

19 inch powder coated.jpg Is this what you were looking for as far as a picture of the Base 19" in grey?
    This photo is representative of mine. I plan on using these wheels for my snow tires in the winter months.
    the center caps were once silver, I masked off the T logo and then primed and spray painted them with Dupli-Color then clear coated over the paint.
    The powder coating is not inexpensive.
    Shop around.

5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Any photos on the car?

6. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

#6 ArtInCT, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    Well, if you look at my SIG I have just ordered... however, I do have an extensive Model S photo library and am pretty sure I have some pictures of the base wheels in grey metallic.... give me a few mins....

Here is one sans the center caps.... Also Tsportline makes LUG COVERS in black with an on/off tool that makes the silver lugs disappear.

19 inch spoke grey.jpg

Here is another picture with the lug covers on but a pretty shoddy painting of the center caps IMHO....

19 inch dark grey stock Model S wheels.jpg

Here is one of a P85+ with a nice set IMHO...

P85+ PVD 19 inch Wheels.jpg

7. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

#7 FlatSix911, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    The gray wheels look good on the Midnight Silver car ... not sure about the black lug nut covers.

Did you also see the custom Black/Silver powder coat finish OEM wheel from the Tsportline photos?

T-Sportline-BlackGold-Factory-Wheel-23-624x416-new.jpg

t-sportline-blackgold-factory-wheel-12-new.jpg

t-sportline-blackgold-factory-wheel-16-new.jpg

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

9. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

any examples on a MCRed car?

10. Chevrltz71

Chevrltz71 Member

Art - thank you! That's exactly what I was talking about, although I do I think I will stick with powdercoating for durability. They should stand out even more on my light silver MS.