Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coat or Paint Rim in the Bay Area. Any Recommended Auto Shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nev&Co

X60D MC Red. Delivered 12/30/2016
Oct 20, 2016
California
I am planning to change my oem rim into matte black and I got a few questions:

1. Paint or powder coat?
2. What is the cost range?
3. Any recommended paint shop in the Bay Area?

Thanks for the input.

plastidip. $6/wheel. Peel off at trade-in.

have had it on the Tahoe wheels and badges for years. If it dulls, just clean it off, and spray a top coat if you want. It does get duller, but only after 2-3 years.

Rear tires on my S only last 8,000 miles... so... ya know... lol.

watch LOTS of youtube videos. It's like paint, so it's all prep and technique. However you can peel it off.

The MORE coats the better, at least 3, better to have 4-5. Seriously. Cheap remover is WD-40. it will dissolve it. Or a pressure washer.

I'll dig up some other photos. The stuff is fun to use, and comes in many colors. Flat Black is the cheapest/most common and easiest to work with.
If you want to shine them up, I've sprayed mine with tire shine, and it makes it shiny until it wears off.

Attachments

• 13055565_10207805267742510_6411320494750550719_n.jpg
    13055565_10207805267742510_6411320494750550719_n.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:
If you can't tell... I like black.tahoe.jpg rear tire.jpg

I'm sure powered coat is "better", but $1k vs $50. and this peels off and protects from road salt (PA).
Had to peel the Tahoe wheels at 100,000 for it's 3rd set of tires. Looked brand new underneath vs. yellowing that occurs w/them normally.

Yes, Yes, I went from a Tahoe to an EV :p.

Reactions: dhrivnak
lol, that's funny. Dip. Nuts. Squirrel.

No, I actually like the chrome lugnut look on the black wheels. Looks military to me. I don't see anyway plasti-dip would hold up to that.
Plasti-dip will hold up to water, rain, sun, even carwashes, but rubbing it will remove it.

I have the old 2 piece lug nuts. Nut + nonremovable chrome cap that rusts. Tesla switch to a lugnut + plastic cap on newer ones.
I've considered the black caps, but like I said, I like the chrome in black look.

Sorry for the long delay. The top picture is of the powder coated factory 20's in semigloss black. The second picture is of my winter tires on 19's that are dipped. I can say without question that the powder coating is far superior. The dipped wheel is very dependent on your technique and I have to say that my technique could use some work. I have a couple areas with texture that I don't like, a couple areas that are chipped and one area that is peeling. Dip is matte black. I would powder coat both sets if money was not an issue. As it was, I spend the extra money on a winter set as we drive to Tahoe almost every other weekend for the kids' ski team. Real winter tires are substantially safer.

IMG_5288.JPG

IMG_6696.JPG

Reactions: someTimesJoe
You can buy the black lug nut covers from tesla for $1 each. Can also buy the center cap in black for $5. I had the center cap done as part of the wheel powder coating. Just bought the lug nut covers. Was told that even if you powder coat the lug nuts, they scratch with the lug wrench every time.