Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coating Aero Wheels - Any Cap Issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I'm thinking of powder coating the stock aero wheels that come with the car. The issue I am having before going for it is I don't mind the aero caps - the fact they add range means I wouldn't mind using them on road trips or even in the winter to further protect the car from debris.

Will powder coating the rims prevent me from using the aero caps?

Will I damage the powder coating if I am constantly taking off the aero cap covers or does it hold up well?

I assume the same question would apply to the stock painted rims.

Reactions: beachmiles
82b567dd-e976-48fc-b6fc-c68d7d9788ac-jpeg.418885

The shop that did my powder coating said that the job he did is "thicker/harder " than the OEM, plus the OEM coat is covering only the face of the wheel. I asked him about putting on and off the aero cover - said shouldn't be an issue. So far I noticed very little if any drop off both local and long distance driving (over 1700 miles since putting the new wheels) and not planning on using the aeros.

The shop that did my powder coating said that the job he did is "thicker/harder " than the OEM, plus the OEM coat is covering only the face of the wheel. I asked him about putting on and off the aero cover - said shouldn't be an issue. So far I noticed very little if any drop off both local and long distance driving (over 1700 miles since putting the new wheels) and not planning on using the aeros.

Wow looks great! How much did it cost?

Looks awesome. Did you get the cap powder coated or did you buy those elsewhere?