Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Flow data update frequency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this forum and considering getting a Powerwall 2 and solar for my summer house and wanted to understand some of the ancillary benefits to understanding my home's energy usage.

I had a few questions about how Power Flow works. Apologies if this is answered elsewhere... I have been scouring Google to figure out #1.

1. How often does the Power Flow data update in the app? (every few seconds? every few minutes?) Are there any nuances to update frequency if I have only solar? Does the update frequency vary at all?
2. Can I use the Power Flow diagram to optimize my energy usage, or is the feedback loop too long?

Many thanks,

SG

New to this forum and considering getting a Powerwall 2 and solar for my summer house and wanted to understand some of the ancillary benefits to understanding my home's energy usage.

I had a few questions about how Power Flow works. Apologies if this is answered elsewhere... I have been scouring Google to figure out #1.

1. How often does the Power Flow data update in the app? (every few seconds? every few minutes?) Are there any nuances to update frequency if I have only solar? Does the update frequency vary at all?
2. Can I use the Power Flow diagram to optimize my energy usage, or is the feedback loop too long?

Many thanks,

SG

I dont know exactly how long the update frequency is, but its fast enough that if I have the app open on the powerwall, and turn on the microwave, or toaster, or coffee maker, I can see the change in electricity usage in the app within a couple of seconds or so. Close enough to real time for me to see how much those devices use.

Reactions: charlesj
App updates over the Web. Its near real-time. Its continuous, not a batch type sync

With PG&E you can use cost saving mode to shift your rates. I make it completely through Peak Time (2pm to 9pm) on my PWs (with reserve set at 30%) unless it gets above 95 degrees. (Live near Sacramento).

Awesome, thank you. This is in PG&E territory.

Just to be sure, the iOS app updates within seconds?

Or do I need to directly connect to the web server on the gateway to get the near-real-time updates?

Yeah as @getakey said, the tesla app updates in near real time. maybe 2 seconds if its being slow. I will qualify that with the fact that I have fast home internet, and my gateway is connected via an Ethernet cable. I am not sure what the sync time is if you have only cellular from the gateway, for example... but I suspect at worst it might add a few seconds.

Reactions: jboy210
Yeah as @getakey said, the tesla app updates in near real time. maybe 2 seconds if its being slow. I will qualify that with the fact that I have fast home internet, and my gateway is connected via an Ethernet cable. I am not sure what the sync time is if you have only cellular from the gateway, for example... but I suspect at worst it might add a few seconds.
I don't have ethernet connection to Gateway and still get 2sec-5sec response time of an appliance being turned on. But, this is an estimate
not timed. ;):) Sure looks very quick.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The Tesla Energy Gateway (TEG) comes with both wired and wireless (WiFi) connections installed. I believe you have to pay extra for the cell phone interface. My TEG has both the wired and WiFi connection running simultaneously through my home network. The response time for the Power Flow view is a few seconds. You can also connect directly to the TEGs internal WiFi address. My installer did this and it reacted a couple of seconds faster then the network connection.
The Energy Usage view does not appear to update in real time. I will normally update when you open it. Then you can pull down from near the top to force an update.

The Tesla Energy Gateway (TEG) comes with both wired and wireless (WiFi) connections installed. I believe you have to pay extra for the cell phone interface. My TEG has both the wired and WiFi connection running simultaneously through my home network. The response time for the Power Flow view is a few seconds. You can also connect directly to the TEGs internal WiFi address. My installer did this and it reacted a couple of seconds faster then the network connection.
The Energy Usage view does not appear to update in real time. I will normally update when you open it. Then you can pull down from near the top to force an update.

I didnt have to pay anything extra for them to activate the cellular connection when I had mine installed Jan 6th of this year. I was under the impression that they always activate it, as a backup for if your network is down.

I didnt have to pay anything extra for them to activate the cellular connection when I had mine installed Jan 6th of this year. I was under the impression that they always activate it, as a backup for if your network is down.

I assumed the same thing. Without the Cellular Tesla cannot access the units when the network is down. Also, there are (few) people that do not have home internet connections.

Last edited:
That is my understanding as well - no extra charge and always activated. There was no mention of a fee when our install was done in March and the installer just configured all 3 options (ethernet, WiFi, cell.)

I don't know if they might object to somebody who obviously has WiFi and/or ethernet options refusing to use those options, but other than that, I think it is intended as a free fail-safe when home internet is down or in specific cases where home internet might not be available.

10GB internet data a month on your home internet (not cellular)?
Yep, satellite internet. DishNet which is actually HughesNet.
I live 50 miles from the capital of the world's 5 largest economy and can't get decent broadband.
I have a Verizon tower 1000' from me, I'm hoping for 5G but I'm not holding my breath.
Maybe Elon will put me in his beta testing for his internet service....

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

I didn't pay either and is connected, has its own cell antenna about 3" long and flexes.

I think you are referring to opening up the app it takes time to update. That is correct.
But, if the app is on and open, then apply a load that change will show up rather quickly.
Not sure if the app is updating if it is on in the background as I don't let it be on in background, eats up too much phone power.

I didn't pay either and is connected, has its own cell antenna about 3" long and flexes.

I think you are referring to opening up the app it takes time to update. That is correct.
But, if the app is on and open, then apply a load that change will show up rather quickly.
Not sure if the app is updating if it is on in the background as I don't let it be on in background, eats up too much phone power.
No I was referring the to function Energy Usage which is accessed from the Power Flow screen. The Power Flow updates quickly. The Energy Usage only when you open it or force and update.

Many thanks,

SG
If you access the gateway directly from your home network by typing the IP address into your browser you see the Power Flow update within a second.

No I was referring the to function Energy Usage which is accessed from the Power Flow screen. The Power Flow updates quickly. The Energy Usage only when you open it or force and update.

I noticed there seems to be a bug in the "Energy Usage" display. It says "today", but if you had not looked at this screen since yesterday it shows yesterday's information with the title today. Only if you hit the "<" symbol, go back to yesterday, and then click the ">" to go forward to today does it show the correct information.