Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Folding Mirror Retrofit Qustion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I have an imported 2013 MS P85 and my car don't have power folding mirror. I've collected the window switch and folding mirrors and the harness but cannot find the control units. The ones on the car is 1003101-00-C. Do I need to change them as well or they will work? And how do I enable it in the software after all the installation is done? Mine is imported to far east Asia, no Tesla Service in the region.

Regards,
Htoo

Tesla retrofitted the folding mirrors to my car. I don't recall whether any controller had to be changed, but I do recall they had to change the keypad on the driver's door, a wiring harness and also update the car's firmware to recognize the folding mirrors. Not sure how you can update the firmware without being at a service center.

What do you mean by control units. If you have the power folding mirrors, the harness and the window switch, you have everything you need. Except you will need someone to program the car to recognize the mirrors. If your mirrors are different colors, the covers pop off and can be changed.

By control units I mean this box attached insides the door panel. I have harness and folding mirrors but cannot find those. Maybe not needed to change them?

Attachments

• IMG_20180727_153959.jpg
    IMG_20180727_153959.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 231
I don’t think that has anything to do with the mirror. We did the install at my house. Yes, we had to remove the door panels, but it was only to incorporate the new harness. I don’t remember having anything to do with that control unit. The whole effort one a big exercise in “plug and play.” With the exception of taking the dash and CID apart to get to the input plug to program the functionality.

• Love
Reactions: iamhtoo
After the mirrors, harness and switch are installed, you will need to have the programming updated to have the mirrors work and the control options added to the Center Information Display. This will require something with a laptop and a high level of technical skills. The will be pulling apart the dash and the CID to get to the plug to reprogram the car. I was fortunate that I was able to locate someone who had the skill to install the parts and do the programming.

Unsure if threads bump here - but this seemed to be the most recent thread on this topic.

I asked Tesla about this for my own '13 P85 and while I'd never be up for the $3,200 I read some owners were quoted - I have a -very- tight garage and realized how convenient the folding mirrors are when I had a loaner recently.

Tesla told me all of the retrofit kits had been discontinued and having this installed was no longer possible. Were you successful in your journey?

Just a thought but you should be able to wire these up so that you can manually fold them? Maybe not the factory way but you would just need power? Doesn't the software update just allow them to automatically fold?

@Lukez Button to fold the mirrors and the controller that actually fold the mirrors are only connected via can bus. You need to update the configuration of the car. But however, if you are capable, you can supply 12v to the correct pins to folding motors and do your own buttons and some circuit. I've tried that, it works too.

I was successful. I just bought salvage folding mirrors off eBay and do the wiring myself. I didn't even buy wiring harness. After the hardware and wiring installation, you gotta need to find someone who can enable it in the software.

Congrats! For whatever reason there seems to be less DIY spirit on these cars among owners than I've experienced in the past - so props to your ingenuity. Only wish there were photos / DIY on how to do it myself!

Or even Evannex or some 3rd party offering this...

Congrats! For whatever reason there seems to be less DIY spirit on these cars among owners than I've experienced in the past - so props to your ingenuity. Only wish there were photos / DIY on how to do it myself!

Or even Evannex or some 3rd party offering this...

The challenge is most the DIY retrofit is really just partially DIY. Many features need service activation after installation therefor not really DIY. Most the activation can be overcome if you have access to a Tesla guru who can help you activate.

Other than that retrofits have been easy on this car compared to my past cars.

OP, nice job! Think I'll do this on our car missing power folding!

Last edited:
I have the parts to do this and was talking to someone local to me (metro Phoenix area) about getting this done, but he stopped responding to my messages and texts.

If anyone local in Phoenix can help me out with this it’d be greatly appreciated. I have all the parts. Just need the labor and programming.

Alternatively, if I can’t find someone to help me locally, I’d probably sell the parts so someone else can take a shot at it.

I have the parts to do this and was talking to someone local to me (metro Phoenix area) about getting this done, but he stopped responding to my messages and texts. Kelp me posted...I live in cali and may take a crack at it

If anyone local in Phoenix can help me out with this it’d be greatly appreciated. I have all the parts. Just need the labor and programming.

Alternatively, if I can’t find someone to help me locally, I’d probably sell the parts so someone else can take a shot at it.

I have the parts to do this and was talking to someone local to me (metro Phoenix area) about getting this done, but he stopped responding to my messages and texts.

I would be interested in the parts. I have the folding mirrors, but would need the harnesses and other bits.