Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Installing CCS Retrofit in My US 2017 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to confirm, you have a Model X 90D with a rebuilt title which cannot supercharge, but with the retrofit adapter you were able to DC fast charge on CCS1? Elsewhere some have said that DC fast charging and supercharging were tied together on the model X, but this would confirm that they are not unless I'm missing something.
In Model S and Model X it’s the same. CCS + chademo is not tied to SC, they are independent. But you need to enable it.

In Toolbox 3, go to action tab and type in PLC. PLC Relay Configuration will show up. Run it and it will allow CCS retrofit.

This example is from 2016 Model X.

IMG_4584.jpeg

Thinking about buying a US 2016 MX and would like to DIY the CCS update. I did my TM3 update w/o issue, but reading this thread appears to be just a lot of confusion and people from the EU chiming in. Did anyone ever figure out a step by step update?

Thinking about buying a US 2016 MX and would like to DIY the CCS update. I did my TM3 update w/o issue, but reading this thread appears to be just a lot of confusion and people from the EU chiming in. Did anyone ever figure out a step by step update?
Did u read the whole thread?? all the steps are here..
Specifically posts #1, 23, 62

Did u read the whole thread?? all the steps are here..
Specifically posts #1, 23, 62
1:

My Car​

2017 Model X, upgraded to MCU2 with Intel processor

Background​

Superchargers could get busy over the weekends/holidays and so I was wondering if I could have another option.

Setec has a CCS1 adapter but it is selling for $610 with charging limit to around 70kw and it is known to have issue when charging. So getting the "offical parts" might be a better route.

Initial Research​

Initially, I read this post by @FalconFour. Model 3 has an ECU in place and so he had to swap out ChargePort Gen 3 to Gen 4 and ran into multiple issues. I searched in parts catalog, however, I found nothing related to chargeport ECU installed in legacy Model X.

Legacy Model S and Model X in EU provide CCS retrofit, so I was thinking whether this could be used in the US models as well. EU cars are using CCS2 plugs while US cars use CCS1 cars, but Tesla came up with a CCS1 adapter in Korea. In order to get it work, I will need the retrofit from EU and the adapter from Korea.

I found that the retrofit board 1495114-00-C is indeed in the US parts catalog. So I tried to order it from my local service center. However, the local service center refused to order it for me because the service center said the retrofit kit was suppoed for EU cars only. Therefore I asked my friend in EU to order the retrofit kit for me. I aslo asked my order friend in Korea to order the CCS1 adapter for me.

IMG_8465.jpg

Also found this video regarding installation:

Looks like what he did was basically plug the retrofit ECU in, perform a software update, then done.

Steps to install​

0. Wait for a software update notice
1. Remove 12V battery connection and high voltage connection
2. Remove the panels on the left side of the trunk and expose the onboard charger
IMG_8485.jpg

3. Connect the wiring harness. Remove the plug on the charge port and the communication ports, connect the removed plug to the harness and connect the harness to the socket. See the circles below

IMG_8515.jpg

IMG_8516.jpg

4. Remove three screws on the onbord charger and attach the retrofit ECU like this
IMG_8487.jpg

5. Perform the software update

After the software update, however, I get "CCS Fast Charging is unavailable, Schedule Service - Configuration Change required" (Error code CHG_w084)

IMG_8522.jpg

The CCS support in additional car info still shows uninstalled. from the error message, looks like a simple config change will resolve this issue. So I contacted the local service center to see if they could do the config change. Here is the conversation between me and the Tesla service advisor.

Advisor: DId you installed the EU CCS retrofit?
Me: Yeah, but this part is in the US part catalog. I ordered it from EU and installed it myself. It is just a plug and play thing and what it needs is a config change, which might be able to be done OTA.
Advisor: I am instructed not to perform the change because CCS charging is not supported in the US (lie). Also, this part is not installed by us, we cannot provide the support.
Me: OK. Thanks and have a good day

Initially, I did not tell him I installed the EU CCS retrofit but he asked me instead. So I assume he checked out the error code and found the solution but refused to perform the config change for various reasons. So I guess I will be the person to resolve this issue.

Troubleshoot​

I drove to the local service center, started the service mode and performed a complete software reinstall. No luck

IMG_8518.jpg

IMG_8517.jpg

I went back home and plugged in my mobile charger, which is connected to my NEMA-1450 outlet, the voltage jumped to 240V but no amerage. After 2 seconds the voltage dropped to 0 and then backt o 240V. After retrying a few times, the charging port light showed red and got "poor grid power quality possible"

I checked the "Service Alert" in service mode and found the following:

IMG_8520.jpg

There are two unrelated error due to easy entry failure a long time ago which I didn't bother to fix. The other two are the two I mentioned before.

The next day I tried supercharging and I got 109kW in 49% battery, which is a normal speed.

I also tried a third party AC charging but I still get red charging port lights. This time, the CHG_u012 did not appear.

Assumption​

Looks like the retrofit ECU was not configured and so AC charging and CCS charging was disabled. However, supercharging functionality is not impacted

Next Step​

Luckily the MCU has been upgraded to MCU2 and I got a Toolbox 3 subscription. I ordered a dianostic cable from Ebay and will troubleshoot further.

Questions​

1. I have not used Toolbox 3 before. For those who has expenrience, can I know whether Toolbox will show steps to fix the error codes? Specifically, CHG_w084 and CHG_u012? Thanks
1. If possible, can I know how to perform a chargeport ECU config change using Toolbox?

Thanks a ton
23:
Update: Someome is nice enough to help me change the gateway config plcadaptertype using Toolbox 2. It's an easy process and additional car info shows "CCS Support" as enabled. I will re-install the retofit and do a software update to see if this time it works
62:
In Toolbox 3, go to action tab and type in PLC. PLC Relay Configuration will show up. Run it and it will allow CCS retrofit.

This example is from 2016 Model X.

IMG_4584.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: TunaBug
Will they let us order the parts so we can install ourself? If so does anyone have the correct part numbers
I’m starting to see North American Model X Retrofit Kits for sale now. We used to have to order the European kits. Send me a direct message and I can help you get your hands on a kit if you can’t order directly from Tesla.

Also here is a link to a YouTube video specific to the Model X CCS Retrofit hardware upgrade. It’s a little light on the configuration changes but some of that data has changed since I made the video back in April.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
If the car does not say CCS Charging Enabled on the features panel on the main screen in the car, it will require a new Charge Port Controller, which is a pay for add-on. I don't think pricing has been announced. I don't think it is possible for DIY
that's probably what i needed. i followed as best as i could all the directions explained here (ECU installation, and via-TOOLBOX 3 PLC RLY change), but my computer info (APU 2.0) does not mention anything about CCS. I can see via TOOLBOX 3 that the config has plcadaptertype to be 1 and otherfastchargeallowed to be 1 as well. One big thing that changed after the installation is that my formerly working Chademo stopped working as well.