Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model S radar detector mirror tap - switched power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, we sourced those parts and installed the first Blackvue's in 2014. I had them on me 2013 and on my 2017.

Took a while to id everything as there was no help from Tesla. Lots of people were using a 4 pin doggle that connected for power to a computer fan, but it didn't secure/fit properly.

A little history for you. This connector has nothing to do with TeslaCam mode.. The connector is for an an intrusion detection device that was required available in EU, then made available in the U.S. Sentry is watching the outside of the car. Intrusion Detection was when movement inside the car was triggered. Even so far as breaking glass and motion created when someone got in, stuck their hand in and started grabbing stuff.

Last edited:
I followed the instructions here: R7 Visor Clip

I also cut off the duckbill portion that went into the headliner so it was just a straight piece of metal. The fitment is too tight and I couldn't get the duckbill portion in there. The straight cut piece does fit.

Additionally, I cut off a portion of the bracket that covers the release button on the R7.
What is the process for removing the plastic cover for the rearview mirror to access the wiring? I don't want to break it....

So I have a 2016.5 P90DL and my wire colors were a bit different but this thread was helpful. For me, the 12v switchable power was the red wire w/yellow stripe and the ground was the solid black wire (see photos). For now I am stuck using the suction cup until Blendmount or someone comes up with a better solution. Open to alternative mounting suggestions if anyone has any? (Please post photos of your radar detector mount set up in your Model S)

Here are some photos from my install/tap:

IMG_0777.jpeg

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg
IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0784.jpeg

IMG_0783.jpeg

Reactions: evfeh
I followed the instructions here: R7 Visor Clip

I also cut off the duckbill portion that went into the headliner so it was just a straight piece of metal. The fitment is too tight and I couldn't get the duckbill portion in there. The straight cut piece does fit.

Additionally, I cut off a portion of the bracket that covers the release button on the R7.
So, I tried doing the same... cut off duck bill skimmed a bit off the center part that inserts into the R7. I just couldn't get it in a position clipped to the headliner where it wasn't flimsy or flopping around where along the headliner did you secure yours? Can you post a photo?

All state police cruisers have different versions of the Spectre RDD (radar detector detector) as they are primarily meant to find CDL drivers breaking the law. All the Spectre needs is for your radar detector to be connected to power and emit RF signals, even the best shielded units will emit enough to allow the cop to know you have one once he/she pulls behind your bumper, maximizing your chances to get a ticket being perceived as a "subversive". Just sayin'

• Disagree
Reactions: DerbyDave
All state police cruisers have different versions of the Spectre RDD (radar detector detector) as they are primarily meant to find CDL drivers breaking the law. All the Spectre needs is for your radar detector to be connected to power and emit RF signals, even the best shielded units will emit enough to allow the cop to know you have one once he/she pulls behind your bumper, maximizing your chances to get a ticket being perceived as a "subversive". Just sayin'
Not sure where you are from or what your point is but they are completely legal here.

So, I tried doing the same... cut off duck bill skimmed a bit off the center part that inserts into the R7. I just couldn't get it in a position clipped to the headliner where it wasn't flimsy or flopping around where along the headliner did you secure yours? Can you post a photo?
I will try. It definitely isn't perfect. It does move around more than I want but, without a blendmount option and without wanting it to be on the windshield, this is the best way to go. I have a blendmount in my NSX and it is amazing. As for the Tesla, I get the best result by wedging it behind the driver's visor in the closed position. I can't really use the driver's visor which is annoying but having the R7 along for the ride makes it worthwhile.

I was just given a Valentine 1 as a gift for my 2018 model S. I was really concerned about unsightly wires.
Because of this thread I purchased this Dashcam Power Cable – TeslaTap and it worked like a charm. I hate to say it was easy because I went slowly since I was being cautious but if I had to do it again, probably no more than 10 minutes of work.
Certainly easier than I thought it would be. Since it is always "hot" I will turn it off/on as needed.

Reactions: evfeh and Akikiki
Can't edit the post, but here's the mirror tap locations that worked for me. Red/blue striped is 12V switched accessory, and black/white striped at the bottom is ground.

mJd5cxc.jpg
I have 2017 MS and am checking my rearview mirror wire connector.
It just has same colored wires.
But when I test each wire,
#5 Black/White is ground
However
#1 Red/Blue does not have 12V what so ever
#2 Red/White has constant 12V
is my fuse for Acc 12v blown?

#5 Black/White is ground
However
Hi, based solely on your number of posts, I am guess you recently go your S. I'd like to introduce you to one of the best sources of Tesla info around. Can cost you ZERO. My bud, Teslatap maintains a portal with bushels and pecks full of Tesla info. Look around when you have time. In the meantime, this might help.

#5 Black/White is ground
However

You need a voltmeter tapped into the top red/blue wire, close/open the door and see if you rear 12V. It's switched, or it should be only active when the car is on.