Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Liftgate install in the GTA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I bought a power lift gate in the group buy and will be installing it once I take delivery. I will post a video and will be installing these in the GTA.

I own a body shop and we have repaired the model 3 that I own, so very fimiliar with it.

I will let you know what the cost is after I install mine to make sure it is a fair price.

If you are interested in install. The shop is located in Mississauga by the airport. I may even consider starting a mobile install where I come to you to install, but that will cost a little more depending on where.

PM any questions.

By the way, I spoke to Jeff from Lockdown security. Very nice guy. Took his time explaining everything to me. One thing he did say that I am sure would be important to everyone is that the liftgate he installed actually does a little damage to the bumper every time it closes. It's a little more force than needed. I know the new version on tesla offers site mentions "soft close". I guess that was to rectify that issue.

By the way, I spoke to Jeff from Lockdown security. Very nice guy. Took his time explaining everything to me. One thing he did say that I am sure would be important to everyone is that the liftgate he installed actually does a little damage to the bumper every time it closes. It's a little more force than needed. I know the new version on tesla offers site mentions "soft close". I guess that was to rectify that issue.

This may be due to the trunk being misaligned. My understand it that it is also a known issue with the Tesla Model 3 trunk that there is a little overhang on some, so closing it with your hand can cause damage from the two surfaces hitting eachother. I'd hope that with a slower and more controlled electric close it would be more protected.

the "soft-close" is the name given to the trunk closing and latching at the end. Looking at videos online, it seems some of these kids may have soft close and some may not, or maybe they took the feature out of the Hansshow kit, not sure. Good catch!

The following video shows it with a soft close. I can confirm once installed :)

This may be due to the trunk being misaligned. My understand it that it is also a known issue with the Tesla Model 3 trunk that there is a little overhang on some, so closing it with your hand can cause damage from the two surfaces hitting eachother. I'd hope that with a slower and more controlled electric close it would be more protected.

the "soft-close" is the name given to the trunk closing and latching at the end. Looking at videos online, it seems some of these kids may have soft close and some may not, or maybe they took the feature out of the Hansshow kit, not sure. Good catch!

The following video shows it with a soft close. I can confirm once installed :)

I will be waiting patiently :)

Hey everyone,

I bought a power lift gate in the group buy and will be installing it once I take delivery. I will post a video and will be installing these in the GTA.

I own a body shop and we have repaired the model 3 that I own, so very fimiliar with it.

I will let you know what the cost is after I install mine to make sure it is a fair price.

If you are interested in install. The shop is located in Mississauga by the airport. I may even consider starting a mobile install where I come to you to install, but that will cost a little more depending on where.

PM any questions.

I take it you purchased the one that does not tap into canbus. I look forward to your report after installation. Also, how much if any taxes, duties, etc you had to incur.

I take it you purchased the one that does not tap into canbus. I look forward to your report after installation. Also, how much if any taxes, duties, etc you had to incur.

Yes, I personally think the non-CANBUS (HANSSHOW verison) is a no brainer. Being able to use the on screen trunk open and close, plus not having to rely on a company to update software with every tesla software update. The only negative being I can't see on the app when my trunk is actually opened or closed doesn't really make a big difference to me. It may to some though.

I will let you know about taxes and duties when it comes in.

I recently bought the Tesla Offer frunk kit and installed and very happy with the results. I'm just a software engineer but I didn't have any issues with the frunk install, so if anyone here isn't confident with their installs themselves I'll be happy to install for you for $200. I'm in markham around markville mall but i can come to you during evenings or weekends.
I haven't installed trunk yet as that one is more involved but I'm looking to getting a kit soon and installing on my Model 3 as well. Will report back if I'm confident to do that for somebody else.

Reactions: Suspect and kaws
I recently bought the Tesla Offer frunk kit and installed and very happy with the results. I'm just a software engineer but I didn't have any issues with the frunk install, so if anyone here isn't confident with their installs themselves I'll be happy to install for you for $200. I'm in markham around markville mall but i can come to you during evenings or weekends.
I haven't installed trunk yet as that one is more involved but I'm looking to getting a kit soon and installing on my Model 3 as well. Will report back if I'm confident to do that for somebody else.

Glad you're happy with the Frunk kit. Nice of you to offer your services. Always good to have install choices for those of us who would not attempt install ourselves.

Will this void the warranty?

If something happens specifically to the trunk then they are likely not to support it. But not really much that could go wrong with the trunk that you would need Tesla to help fix.

That being said, this is one reason why the Hansshow trunk is better in my opinion. It is easy to go back to stock. No wires running up the car and no needing to tap wires to CANBUS.

I will be installing mine this weekend. I will post a video and will be offering install for an affordable fixed price. Price will be based on if you come to me or want mobile service (price will be dependent on travel time)

Reactions: dj_gon and jjtsl