Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Liftgate install in the GTA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you are talking Model 3. They have quite a good installation video but you still have to have some skills. They charge $ 300.00 for installation in the LA area just for reference. Don't know about voiding warranty installing this since it taps into the CAN bus and 12V battery power.
I myself just bought their Model S soft closing door kit. Arriving Monday and will attempt to install this week.

I look at the installation video, it seems easy, BUT there are so many moving parts.

Like put up a garage door opener, yes, I can do it, it will take me longer than the professional, but doable.

One thing I learn over the years, unless I'm sure I can finish it, I won't start the project. I either do it or let a professional to do a decent job.

In this case, I just won't do it. tearing the Tesla apart just so I can have this small convenience. Spending close to $1K to have it installed is too expensive IMHO.

No way I would attempt this on my own. Whom I kidding, I wouldn't even try installing a garage door opener. These things are not my forte. If I could find someone who knows what they are doing and can be trusted I'd seriously consider this.

Interesting. I've heard good things about Lockdown with regards to camera and things. I may have to call them. They did have some issues in the video. I'm figuring they got those resolved. I wonder which kit the guy bought. I was thinking about the one that doesn't tap into canbus and that allows you to use the button on the screen to not only open but also close.

Interesting. I've heard good things about Lockdown with regards to camera and things. I may have to call them. They did have some issues in the video. I'm figuring they got those resolved. I wonder which kit the guy bought. I was thinking about the one that doesn't tap into canbus and that allows you to use the button on the screen to not only open but also close.
The guy in the video bought the Tesla Offer kit, which is the most popular one right now which requires you to tap the CAN wires. The other one you mentioned is relatively new still. There have been several firmware updates to the Tesla Offer kit since that video was made to smooth things out.

I spoke with Lockdown. Jeff wasn't available. They've only ever done this once, on the Red M3 in the video. It took like 4 hours and they quoted me $400. They are doing the Frunk on that Red M3 when the owner comes back from vacation. The will likely post a video. They guy guessed 3 hours for the Frunk, so like $300. So basically they are charging $100/hour. For the red M3 they did have to tap into CANBUS so the owner likely purchased the Tesla Offer version.

I spoke with Lockdown. Jeff wasn't available. They've only ever done this once, on the Red M3 in the video. It took like 4 hours and they quoted me $400. They are doing the Frunk on that Red M3 when the owner comes back from vacation. The will likely post a video. They guy guessed 3 hours for the Frunk, so like $300. So basically they are charging $100/hour. For the red M3 they did have to tap into CANBUS so the owner likely purchased the Tesla Offer version.

He definitely purchased the Tesla Offer version, it shows that in the video. Plus it was the only one available at the time that video was made.