Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power steering issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One day I drive off and the steering has notches or hard spots right and left. So instead of power assist lock to lock I have intermittent power assist with moments when I’m pulling hard to get around a turn. Any one else have this problem?

One day I drive off and the steering has notches or hard spots right and left. So instead of power assist lock to lock I have intermittent power assist with moments when I’m pulling hard to get around a turn. Any one else have this problem?
Glad I’m not alone. Mine started with recent 40.2.1 software update. Not sure if this is related or not. I was also thinking to schedule a service. Keep me posted.
I also have a 2017 Model X, X75 so.

Mine has the exact same symptom... did it once a week ago and now does it all the time. 2017 X100D, 63,000 miles VIN 54xxx.

Is it safe to drive like this? I'm guessing no.... how much was it to replace?

Thanks much.

-m

Last edited:
Mine has the exact same symptom... did it once a week ago and now does it all the time. 2017 X100D, 63,000 miles VIN 54xxx.

Is it safe to drive like this? I'm guessing no.... how much was it to replace?

Thanks much.

-m
Tough spots every 90 degrees is usually the u-joints in the steering shaft. Should be addressed, but likely not an immediate safety issue.