Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power trunk and frunk [pre 2021 Model 3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have installed both Frunk and Trunk on my Model 3, including a foot sensor for the Trunk, I have to say this brings the user expierence to another level, finally for the Model Y the power trunk is a standard configuration.

For the installation, the Trunk took me 4 hours (2.5 hours for the trunk and 1.5 hours for the foot sensor), the Frunk only took me 40 minutes as the cabling is much easier (power taken from 12V battery under Frunk).
We have both product in our webshop, and we take care of the import tax and VAT for you, plus fast shipping from NL. Only for people who sees this post, get 10% off for the entire order with discount code "TSLA_10%BK";)

This video is made with my own Model 3:

Tesla model 3 automatic frunk and trunk

use code 'teslaguy' for 10% discount

Same kit I’ve been hanging my nose over ;) Reckon we’ve probably watched same reviews, i1 and Frugal seem to cover it quite well, but can’t see a review a few months in.... not sure how long the Hansshow kit has been on the market. Thanks for the discount code, I’ll be using it if I go ahead :cool:

Same kit I’ve been hanging my nose over ;) Reckon we’ve probably watched same reviews, i1 and Frugal seem to cover it quite well, but can’t see a review a few months in.... not sure how long the Hansshow kit has been on the market. Thanks for the discount code, I’ll be using it if I go ahead :cool:
Yes i've seen those videos - i've been mulling for a while but finally succumbed. Resistance is futile :D

What is the killer USP for this above and beyond simply getting stronger struts that will lift the frunk and trunk lid, at like 5% of the price?

If it’s the kick sensor aspect, can’t this be reasonably replicated with RFID and/or voice control with Siri or Google, again for a fraction of the price?

I’m genuinely confused as to the strong need for this sort of executive saloon feature, if I’m honest.

What is the killer USP for this above and beyond simply getting stronger struts that will lift the frunk and trunk lid, at like 5% of the price?

If it’s the kick sensor aspect, can’t this be reasonably replicated with RFID and/or voice control with Siri or Google, again for a fraction of the price?

I’m genuinely confused as to the strong need for this sort of executive saloon feature, if I’m honest.
Presumably this will close them too? Having come from cars with automatic tailgate closure, slamming the tinny Tesla boot feels very cheap.

Yes it opens and closes them as well, either with the kick sensor, the app or siri. This is especially useful for the frunk as according to the manual you need 2 hands to close it properly which is nigh on impossible if you've just taken your bag out, without putting it down.

Yes it opens and closes them as well, either with the kick sensor, the app or siri. This is especially useful for the frunk as according to the manual you need 2 hands to close it properly which is nigh on impossible if you've just taken your bag out, without putting it down.
Did you get the version that repurposes either a driver profile or the homelink option (can't remember) to close the frunk?

Did you get the version that repurposes either a driver profile or the homelink option (can't remember) to close the frunk?
No, you need homelink for that which i don't have and it's more expensive too

Closing either from the screen is not possible so i'll just set up a siri shortcut and use that if needed, however there is no option to close either from the Tesla app so a shortcut will have to link to the open function for both opening and closing as this sets the system in motion with the command in the siri shortcut changed to 'close boot' which will actually link to the open action of the app. Sounds complicated but it really isn't.

• Informative
Reactions: Medved_77
I've been thinking about fitting a power trunk and possibly frunk install (or is that boot and froot for us in the UK?)
It seems there are a few different versions of these kits available:

1. The Hanshow kit
This appears to be the one that has been discussed so far in this thead.

2. Tesla Offer kit
Model 3 Electric Tailgate (v2) – Tesla Offer
There are two versions of this kit v1 and v2 - the v2 apparently has quieter actuators and the ability to open, close and show the status (open/closed) from the touch screen and in the app. Also this doesn't require the additional close button inside the car that the Hanshow kit seems to have.

3. Taptes kit
Hands-Free Power Lift Gate for Tesla Model 3
Im not sure if this is the same as 1 or 2 above or something different?

Does anyone have any experience of installing any of these or what the differences are?

I've been thinking about fitting a power trunk and possibly frunk install (or is that boot and froot for us in the UK?)
It seems there are a few different versions of these kits available:

1. The Hanshow kit
This appears to be the one that has been discussed so far in this thead.

2. Tesla Offer kit
Model 3 Electric Tailgate (v2) – Tesla Offer
There are two versions of this kit v1 and v2 - the v2 apparently has quieter actuators and the ability to open, close and show the status (open/closed) from the touch screen and in the app. Also this doesn't require the additional close button inside the car that the Hanshow kit seems to have.

3. Taptes kit
Hands-Free Power Lift Gate for Tesla Model 3
Im not sure if this is the same as 1 or 2 above or something different?

Does anyone have any experience of installing any of these or what the differences are?

#1 and #3 are from the same manufactuer, for Tesla Offer I think it's probabaly also from the same factory. There are also other make in the market, but they are not as popular as Hansshow and Taptes.

#1 and #3 are from the same manufactuer, for Tesla Offer I think it's probabaly also from the same factory. There are also other make in the market, but they are not as popular as Hansshow and Taptes.

I do think the TeslaOffer kit is different - it connects to the CANBUS in the car which allows it to communicate the open/closed status back to the car (it's shows open/closed in the app etc). I also like the fact that the motors seems to be quieter from what i've seen. It is a more expensive kit it though - might be much more so if i get charged import duty from the USA. Would be good to find a European distributor for this...

This is especially useful for the frunk as according to the manual you need 2 hands to close it properly which is nigh on impossible if you've just taken your bag out, without putting it down.

My wife found that she could manage this feat by pressing her knee against her bag thereby jamming it against the front of the car whilst pushing the frunk lid down... of course this does result in a few scratches but fortunately her husband is a dab hand with the T-Cut ... ye Gods!! :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel and Mr H
I do think the TeslaOffer kit is different - it connects to the CANBUS in the car which allows it to communicate the open/closed status back to the car (it's shows open/closed in the app etc). I also like the fact that the motors seems to be quieter from what i've seen. It is a more expensive kit it though - might be much more so if i get charged import duty from the USA. Would be good to find a European distributor for this...
Please be very careful with this CANbus modification, months ago one customer in Hongkong had his motor burned down and had to replace it, as he had the power trunk connected to the CAN, he lost the manufacturer warranty. As a result he had to pay 6000 dollars for the motor replacement. This is a story I heard from our supplier and that’s why we only sell the product taking power from 12V battery.