Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Current 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla offer can't really protect from water. Eventually it starts to not work sometime. Something clearly shorting it. For both trunk and frunk. Especially after the rain. Very annoying. I got sealed version, but, no, still the same. So sometime have to overpower motors and do it manually.

And, yeah, it locks the car automatically with trunk or frunk open, because the car doesn't know they are open.

OEM would be better.

Tesla offer can't really protect from water. Eventually it starts to not work sometime. Something clearly shorting it. For both trunk and frunk. Especially after the rain. Very annoying. I got sealed version, but, no, still the same. So sometime have to overpower motors and do it manually.

And, yeah, it locks the car automatically with trunk or frunk open, because the car doesn't know they are open.

OEM would be better.
I’ve had a TO power trunk for 2 years and nothing you’ve said is true for me. I have no issue with water ingress and my car knows when the trunk is open.

Have you been updating the control unit firmware?

This. Not worth it *at all* unless it was free. I hate power lift gates. So slow...
Can someone explain the benefit of the power lift? Looks cool, I get, but do people's arms get tired lifting the trunk lid themselves? Arms too full to lift but not too full to push the button?

I just tested and found I can open and close the trunk with one finger, so it wouldn't help in terms of keeping your hands clean.

I also see it as one more thing that could break. For example, I had to drive six hours roundtrip to get the charge port door replaced under warranty. A manual door would have been better.

Can someone explain the benefit of the power lift? Looks cool, I get, but do people's arms get tired lifting the trunk lid themselves? Arms too full to lift but not too full to push the button?

I just tested and found I can open and close the trunk with one finger, so it wouldn't help in terms of keeping your hands clean.

I also see it as one more thing that could break. For example, I had to drive six hours roundtrip to get the charge port door replaced under warranty. A manual door would have been better.
It’s more convenient, and some might say is EXPECTED on a near-luxury car at this point.

This is similar to asking "can someone explain the benefit of power windows?" / "Can someone explain to me why adjusting the seat is a powered option?" or something like that. Necessary? No, but many (many) vehicles in this price point have this either as an option or as standard equipment.

I installed the enhanced Frunk and trunk struts shortly after purchase 4 years ago. Hitting the button on the watch while coming out of the grocery/hardware store and having it wide open when I get there isn’t necessary, but it’s a nice convenience. Once the trunk or frunk is loaded (and my hands now empty), of course I have to close it by hand. Did both for less than $50.

This is similar to asking "can someone explain the benefit of power windows?" / "Can someone explain to me why adjusting the seat is a powered option?" or something like that. Necessary? No, but many (many) vehicles in this price point have this either as an option or as standard equipment.
I agree. This is a big reason I never really used the drunk because I especially hated having to close it by hand and leaving two big hand prints on the hood.

My R1T has power frunk and I’m so happy with that. I don’t understand why Tesla still hasn’t made this standard on all their cars.

Reactions: Vaillant

If you car is dirty - it's the only way to stay clean. Plus it's faster - especially with remote control. And if it fails - you still can manually open and close it.

If you car is dirty - it's the only way to stay clean. Plus it's faster - especially with remote control. And if it fails - you still can manually open and close it.

To each their own, but “not getting dirty” when touching a car is a real first world problem.

I’ve never seen power lift / door be faster than manual for a common passenger vehicle. Safer? Yes, pretty impossible to pinch fingers.

The only time it’s a real saver is power windows.

To each their own, but “not getting dirty” when touching a car is a real first world problem.

I’ve never seen power lift / door be faster than manual for a common passenger vehicle. Safer? Yes, pretty impossible to pinch fingers.

The only time it’s a real saver is power windows.
It is faster to press button and leave than closing manually. It is much faster to open it remotely while you walk to the car. It is much faster and easier when you go with full hands to use foot sensor. With frunk the difference is 3x more dramatic Vs trunk. Comparison to powered windows is very correct.

And Tesla by itself is a solution of first world problems, so it makes no sense to talk about lifts like that.

Reactions: Smytty
It is faster to press button and leave than closing manually. It is much faster to open it remotely while you walk to the car. It is much faster and easier when you go with full hands to use foot sensor. With frunk the difference is 3x more dramatic Vs trunk. Comparison to powered windows is very correct.

And Tesla by itself is a solution of first world problems, so it makes no sense to talk about lifts like that.

The power trunk does not close faster than you can slam it.

The power trunk does not close faster than you can slam it.
He's not talking about the time to close fully, talking about the time to press the button vs slamming it. The time to fully close doesn't matter because after you press the button, you can start walking away.

But I don't think that absolute time even matters. I never had a power trunk before and didn't think it would be much of a difference, but having one now (factory one), it's definitely very convenient. When I have people taking things from the trunk that they will have their hands full, I can just press on the screen to close the trunk. Without it, I would have to get out of the car and close it myself. Same thing putting things in (they don't have to lift the trunk).

I also save a bit of effort/time when by myself and getting out of the car to take things from the trunk, as I can just pop the trunk on the screen, and by the time I am back there, trunk is open already.

I don't have experience with the manual trunk in the Model 3, but it looks the part where you pull is quite high when it is open (much higher than most trunks) and some of my shorter family members will have issue pulling the trunk down. Pushing a button however is quite easy though, even if they have to reach up.

Last edited:
But I don't think that absolute time even matters. I never had a power trunk before and didn't think it would be much of a difference, but having one now (factory one), it's definitely very convenient. When I have people taking things from the trunk that they will have their hands full, I can just press on the screen to close the trunk. Without it, I would have to get out of the car and close it myself. Same thing putting things in (they don't have to lift the trunk).

I don't have experience with the manual trunk in the Model 3, but it looks the part where you pull is quite high when it is open (much higher than most trunks) and some of my shorter family members will have issue pulling the trunk down. Pushing a button however is quite easy though, even if they have to reach up.

Ah. I see. Well, I’m glad I have a 2020 then, because this is a feature I would hate to have to pay for, it’s really not worth it to me but I can see how others value it.

Hmmm…on the height issue, my family members are 5 ft and under, and even the shortest one has no trouble at all with the trunk. 🤷🏻‍♂️