Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power wall setting vs sending solar back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Okay experts. it is that time of the year where solar production has kicked up. I currently have my PW's at 50% for winter use. But now, even though I still use plenty for my heat
pumps, and the batteries recharge pretty quickly, am I better off stay like this, sending lots back to PGE, or should I lower back to 10% and potentially go complete off grid?

In your case, going completely off grid probably has no financial reward in NEM. You will likely become a big net generator. If you just want the satisfaction of being off grid, that's different.
I keep mine at 70% for backup purposes,. And, as we get into PSPS season, I may raise the reserve a touch more

Should add that at 70%, I can achieve zero true-up

In your case, going completely off grid probably has no financial reward in NEM. You will likely become a big net generator. If you just want the satisfaction of being off grid, that's different.
I keep mine at 70% for backup purposes,. And, as we get into PSPS season, I may raise the reserve a touch more

Should add that at 70%, I can achieve zero true-up
my bad, I got that completely backwards. going off grid will keep you from being a big net generator

That's like a religion. Everyone has their opinions. How important is backup power in case of an outage to you?
to me, I have it set to 70%, but if you ask 10 people here, you'll probably get 8 to 10 different answers.
This time of the year, not worried about power outage. I get so much solar, the batteries charge fast. And worse case, I just turn my generator on.

Reactions: no2gates
my bad, I got that completely backwards. going off grid will keep you from being a big net generator
I am just trying to have fun as to how do I, in theory, give PGE as little of my money as possible. Now, with the rates go up, if I send back, I get more money in my piggy bank credit account, which I do not need, but again, just a game.

It was fun last year showing folks I was off grid 99% of the time.