Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerShare for All Teslas & Integration - speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, there has to be others out there with Tesla Solar/PowerWalls of course, that are highly interested in PowerShare coming out soon. It was mentioned that it will be coming in 2025 for all Teslas, and it's rolling out now/soon with the Cybertruck it seems. Look forward to seeing that working. It also seems that there are two setups:
1) new owners/customers without existing Tesla systems need to get the Gateway v3 that integrates with it very easily.
2) existing solar/powerwall owners also seem to easily do PowerShare as well, with software controlling it and your existing bidirectional (Tesla Universal charger as of now) charger that is hooked up at to your whole home/system panel, at 50 amps (60 amp breaker).

I'm on the fence as have a CT on order but for example would probably prefer to get an MX with PowerShare instead as an SUV.

Creating this forum to really share with others that are waiting for the same to become available, share news around PowerShare becoming available on all models and CT reviews of it if first, and best practices around how it works/integrates overall. In the future hopefully/likely to non-Teslas as well.

Hi all, there has to be others out there with Tesla Solar/PowerWalls of course, that are highly interested in PowerShare coming out soon. It was mentioned that it will be coming in 2025 for all Teslas, and it's rolling out now/soon with the Cybertruck it seems. Look forward to seeing that working. It also seems that there are two setups:
1) new owners/customers without existing Tesla systems need to get the Gateway v3 that integrates with it very easily.
2) existing solar/powerwall owners also seem to easily do PowerShare as well, with software controlling it and your existing bidirectional (Tesla Universal charger as of now) charger that is hooked up at to your whole home/system panel, at 50 amps (60 amp breaker).

I'm on the fence as have a CT on order but for example would probably prefer to get an MX with PowerShare instead as an SUV.

Creating this forum to really share with others that are waiting for the same to become available, share news around PowerShare becoming available on all models and CT reviews of it if first, and best practices around how it works/integrates overall. In the future hopefully/likely to non-Teslas as well.

I havent seen anything that states powershare would be available for all Teslas. In fact its not possible with current Teslas as none of them have bi directional ports except the cybertruck.

There is already a thread for powershare on cybertruck.

I havent seen anything that states powershare would be available for all Teslas. In fact its not possible with current Teslas as none of them have bi directional ports except the cybertruck.

I wonder if this is true for both DC and AC connections. I understand that AC doesn't have bi-directionality except the Cybertruck.

I understand that CCS charging standard does have bi-directional charging as part of the standard so maybe there is access through the charge port, just not from AC connections.

It is a relatively straightforward change to the PCS to enable bi-directional AC charging. I don’t expect Tesla to support DC V2X at all. I also don’t expect Tesla to certify their solution with utilities to allow true V2G going into the grid. The current CyberTruck implementation is purely off-grid V2H.

I am planning my next EV purchase and if the Juniper refresh Model Y includes PowerShare, I will buy one straight away.

Reactions: travwill

Ah yeah it's just mentioned that Teslas will have V2H by 2025, similar to CT now. Def will get me to buy again when comes out I'd say. I have a GMC Denali order that will decline because it's still CC2 and the GM Power solution is complicated and they won't I tegrste it yet, and it's $7k plus quoted 7k install additional costs.

Reactions: h2ofun
As "any Powerwall system" is capable of power share, I am hoping to see other Tesla cars compatible in the future. Although it may be a typo, the image below implies a "regular" wall connector may be used. The other scenarios require a universal wall connector.

1713918118769.png

• Love
Reactions: travwill
I understand that CCS charging standard does have bi-directional charging as part of the standard so maybe there is access through the charge port, just not from AC connections.
They have been working on adding it to the CCS standard for years, but it isn't in the standard yet. Ford gave up on waiting and went with a proprietary solution for the F-150 Lightning.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Ah yeah it's just mentioned that Teslas will have V2H by 2025,

Mentioned by who, where?

@travwill I am still looking for the answer to this question. At this time, I dont see why this is a separate thread, instead of inside the stickied powershare thread here:

If there is some valid information somewhere that mentions "Teslas will have V2H by 2025" then this probably should be a separate thread. Otherwise I think it will be moved into the one above.

Reactions: h2ofun
If there is some valid information somewhere that mentions "Teslas will have V2H by 2025" then this probably should be a separate thread. Otherwise I think it will be moved into the one above.

Possibly this article? Tesla Plans To Adopt Bi-Directional Charging By 2025 - CleanTechnica

"that bi-directional charging will be available in all Tesla vehicles by 2025"

I am not the most informed with Tesla vehicle capabilities (past, present and future). So don't flame me if that's a bad source. 😳

RC

• Helpful
Mentioned by who, where?

I recall Musk said a few years ago he didn't see any value in V2H, but I certainly did, But I also heard it would be coming in ~2025 timeframe. It was mentioned by Drew Baglino

"... In response to a question from the audience, Tesla Senior Vice President for Powertrain and Energy Engineering Drew Baglino said, “Bidirectional … it wasn’t like a conscious decision to not do it. It just wasn’t a priority at the time. We’ve found ways to bring bi-directionality while actually reducing the cost of power electronics in the vehicle.

“And at all things Tesla, the goal is usually to get more for less. And so, we are in the middle of a kind of power electronics retool, I would say, that would bring that functionality to all of our vehicles over the next two years. Most of the value comes in charging the car at the right time. It’s not really about sending the energy the other way.” ...."

If/when the refresh model y has powershare, I am definitely going to to get one. I suppose I would consider another model x if/when a refresh occurs with powershare and if the price stays in the current ranges.

I have Tesla solar at the house and a model 3. If they added Powershare to the Model Y I'd also buy it. That would be a major factor for me. Not that I plan to use it often, like augmenting my powerwalls on a daily basis, but in an emergency like a hurricane with long power outages (like a week) it would be great to be able to use that huge battery to charge up my PWs. I could drive the car to a Supercharger, even if I had to drive many miles to get to one, charge up the car then charge up the PWs at home. Far better than a gas generator. I could also drop the settings on my PWs to be able to use them below 20% knowing I have the car as my emergency backup if needed. Like for Storm Watch.

@travwill I am still looking for the answer to this question. At this time, I dont see why this is a separate thread, instead of inside the stickied powershare thread here:

It seems was first mentioned for "vehicleS" last year on investor day in March, but it dropped off a bit after that until we've seen it on the first one now which yes is CT. Picked up in a few stories well back then like:

I know there is a CT PowerShare thread which addresses sharing period from CT, V2V, V2L, V2H soon with update. This is beyond that as many of us want it to expend to other models.

Just like others or some, I have solar (2 systems actually since split to two gateways for our 400 amp service), with 2 power walls on each side. I'd REALLY love to have something like a Model X, with 100kw battery, but 80%/80kw available to use. The 2 power walls in a major outage for say 24+ hours, don't last half that long if we truly need say a little heat, and have to run the pool to keep from freezing...or even just need a buffer where the next day isn't that sunny/produces well.

I recall Musk said a few years ago he didn't see any value in V2H, but I certainly did, But I also heard it would be coming in ~2025 timeframe. It was mentioned by Drew Baglino

This is from an older article when he made those comments, but I agree that if V2H worked, folks would buy LESS permanent home storage, and use the EV for overflow/big emergencies. I still feel that's the best scenario for people. Get some minimal/basic battery home storage, use the EV (or multiple EVs) if needed. I'm still hoping Enphase launches their product soon and if it works, may consider that, but with no power outages, see little real benefit at this time.

I know there is a CT PowerShare thread which addresses sharing period from CT, V2V, V2L, V2H soon with update. This is beyond that as many of us want it to expend to other models.

Sure, people WANT it, people have been bringing up some form of "V2X" for years, trying to speak it into existence. As far as those articles, I dont pay any attention at all to anything from electrek as I have no respect for that site at all. The other two are decent, at least to me, but are we talking about the same Drew Baglino that just left Tesla (I am pretty sure we are)?

In any case, there isnt much to talk about regarding this but if you all want a separate thread to speculate about it more, thats ok.

I will say, though, that the stickied thread is about "Powershare" (as the thread title says) so it covers setup, operation etc, and is not vehicle specific.

Last edited:
I have Tesla solar at the house and a model 3. If they added Powershare to the Model Y I'd also buy it. That would be a major factor for me. Not that I plan to use it often, like augmenting my powerwalls on a daily basis, but in an emergency like a hurricane with long power outages (like a week) it would be great to be able to use that huge battery to charge up my PWs. I could drive the car to a Supercharger, even if I had to drive many miles to get to one, charge up the car then charge up the PWs at home. Far better than a gas generator. I could also drop the settings on my PWs to be able to use them below 20% knowing I have the car as my emergency backup if needed. Like for Storm Watch.

You and I are in the same part of the country and I have exact same thought process as well. If I can have another battery pack to utilize after a storm, that would make me very happy. The Supercharger closest to me is on the same grid as the hospital right next door to it. After Harvey, that SC never lost power (I lost power for 9 days or so)... and even if they did, it'd get recovered faster. I would love this. I certainly think Tesla doing this to most if not all of their vehicle helps them sell the other parts of their eco system. Anyways, hoping it'll happen in the next 24 months or so.