Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Available Energy After 2 Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If what I've been told by Powerwall support is correct and they only look at discharged energy, you can get that metric from the Gateway API (/system_status, energy_discharged) or the Netzero app.

And I just checked that, and it reports total lifetime discharge of 13.45 MWh. So no way I could exceed the 37.8 MWh before 10 years is up.

@gsdubs - FYI.

I discovered the NetZero app a couple weeks ago. Installed it, and it reported that my Powerwall manufactured Nov 2018 has 32% degradation! I contacted support through the chat in the Tesla app, and in 5 minutes they confirmed an issue and said that "Level 2" support would reach out to me soon. Today, they scheduled an appointment to service the Powerwall next week.

They came out today and replaced my Powerwall. It took about an hour from start to finish. I now have a new Powerwall 2 manufactured Nov 2023. It's charging now, but NetZero reports a full pack energy of 14,584 Wh.

They came out today and replaced my Powerwall. It took about an hour from start to finish. I now have a new Powerwall 2 manufactured Nov 2023. It's charging now, but NetZero reports a full pack energy of 14,584 Wh.
Congrats, that's about as quick and seamless a warranty replacement process as I've heard. You may want to check your full pack energy after the battery is at 100% for a few hours, it may go up to ~15kWh

Reactions: Jeremy3292
The Tesla Owner API endpoints site_status and live_status no longer report total_pack_energy or energy_left as of yesterday. The only operational data still reported is percentage_charged , battery_power and load_power (i.e. how much is currently being charged or discharged from the battery and current household load in Watts).

It’s possible there is a new endpoint on the Owner API to return those parameters, but I doubt it since I understand Tesla wants to phase out the Owner API and put everything on Fleet.

I assume the corresponding Fleet API calls still return these parameters, but I don’t have a Fleet API account to check (or an App that uses the Fleet API).

How do I do that? The older cumbersome way of logging to gateway and typing some code?

Reactions: charlesj
Many thanks. That is what I was thinking but forgot what to write after IP address.
What a pain to go through to get that data. Pain for me. ;) :D

@aesculus - it seems now to login to the Gateway once your previous login credentials have expired, you have to toggle the PW switch. Every. Single. Time.

This switch toggling replaced the former (insecure) user id / password login submission.

The login credentials don’t last for a long time - it’s at least a couple of hours, but less than a day. Does anyone know if there is any way to refresh the login credentials without having to physically toggle the PW on/off switch each time?

@aesculus - it seems now to login to the Gateway once your previous login credentials have expired, you have to toggle the PW switch. Every. Single. Time.

That shouldn't be the case, how are you logging in and which firmware version are you on? Make sure you're logging in as customer, not installer.

If you want to avoid the website hassle, you can script login too (replace PASSWD with the last 5 letters of your gateway password and 192.168.1.10 with the ip address; also install the jq tool):

Bash:
curl -k -H 'Content-Type: application/json' --data-raw '{"username":"customer","password":"PASSWD","email":"[email protected]"}' https://192.168.1.10/api/login/Basic > token.json

curl -k -H "Authorization: Bearer $(cat token.json | jq -r .token)" https://192.168.1.10/api/system_status | jq

And for anyone that finds this painful, I'll shamelessly plug Netzero.

That shouldn't be the case, how are you logging in and which firmware version are you on? Make sure you're logging in as customer, not installer.

I’m logging in using Safari on my iPad. It warns me the site is not secure, then after clicking two further warnings to say, yes, I really know what I’m doing, take me to the site, I get the notice below. My PW2 is on 23.28.2.

Perhaps what is happening is that Safari is not caching the credentials because it considers the site insecure? 🤔. So every time it will ask me to re-authenticate via the switch toggle? Connecting via another browser on a different platform might yield a different result.

Anyway, I am coding literate, so it looks like I’ll need to start logging this data from the Gateway instead of Owner API.

IMG_0739.jpeg

I’m logging in using Safari on my iPad. It warns me the site is not secure, then after clicking two further warnings to say, yes, I really know what I’m doing, take me to the site, I get the notice below. My PW2 is on 23.28.2.

I wonder if you have a cookie stored from an Installer login. Try clearing your cookies, using a different browser, or going directly to the login page:
https://<gateway-ip>/summary?mode=kiosk

Customer login should not require flipping the Powerwall switch.