Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Available Energy After 2 Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the late response. As some may have noticed (or not /shrug) I havent been here for a couple of months. In any case, to answer your question, Tesla did eventually replace them, after quite a bit of back and forth and patience on my part (months worth, always polite on my end, and patient).

My replacement powerwalls have a total pack energy around 14.6kWh each and have been installed for a little over a year now.
Welcome back! 🙏

Did I read right that 30% is the catalyst that triggers replacement? Hope this won’t be the standard back and forth battle with T.E.

There are a few different versions of the warranty. Your Tesla account dashboard will list your energy products, including a document store. One of the documents is the purchase agreement, and it contains a link to your Powerwall warranty. Mine points to this:

warranty.png

Checked our system using the awesome ‘Netzero app’, 2 installed in 2020 have 26% degradation.

Did I read right that 30% is the catalyst that triggers replacement? Hope this won’t be the standard back and forth battle with T.E.

@jjrandorin - good to see ya back! Hope all is well.

Appreciate the sentiment, and yeah I am fine. Not trying at all to make this "about me", but a couple people have reached out to check on me, which is kinda gratifying actually.

Without a bunch of detail, I had just decided that I wanted to use some of the energy I was using here on other things. I let the other mods know but didnt post anything generally.

In any case, thanks, and Im doing fine.

Very interesting thread, my first reading of it. I've been curious about the subject. I had not checked the diagnostics via the NetZero app until now. Only had that app for a couple of weeks.

However, my own data point on the subject....
3 PW 2 installed Feb 28 2023, in operation since June 10 2023 (manufacture date likely in later 2022 but not known)
PW location in the basement, ambient temp from approx 50 F to 70 F seasonally
Operated in self power mode, reserve point fluctuates 20% - 70% seasonally with considerable variation inside of that
NetZero reported full pack energy 44758 wh, resulting in an average capacity of 14.92 kwh or perhaps 15 kwh nominal
Haven't logged into the site controller, no individual PW data known

• Informative
Reactions: nativewolf
3 PW 2 installed Feb 28 2023, in operation since June 10 2023 (manufacture date likely in later 2022 but not known)

The netzero app will tell you the manufactured date of your powerwalls (at least what they are reporting as the manufactured date) under the powerwall diagnostic section.

For example, I have (2) powerwalls, both were replaced from the original install, and the replaced ones show the partnumber of each (which interestingly enough is a slightly different part number for each of them) and the manufactured date.

One of my powerwalls is 3012170-05-C, and is manufactured October 2022, and the other one is 3012170-05-E and is Manufactured in November of 2022.

Yeah in general 30% is the warranty threshhold, and I had not quite hit it yet but my powerwalls also would not discharge at 5kw each, which is the angle of conversation I took with Tesla (as well as the fact that they were making an inordinate amount of noise under full discharge load).

By the time mine were replaced, they were down slightly lower than what @bmah mentions his capacity is per PW, and my 2 powerwalls would only discharge at up to 9.7kW power, not 10kW like they are specced.

As most regulars will likely know, I tend to not talk about my own personal business in too much detail, but in the spirit of sharing, this is some additional detail around what was going on with my powerwalls.

I kept prodding (politely, always politely) about the noise and the fact that they could also see they would not discharge at the specced 5kW each, and left the overall capacity as a "one more thing" type thing since it had not hit the thresshold yet. It took several months, but they eventually replaced them.

The netzero app will tell you the manufactured date of your powerwalls (at least what they are reporting as the manufactured date) under the powerwall diagnostic section.

For example, I have (2) powerwalls, both were replaced from the original install, and the replaced ones show the partnumber of each (which interestingly enough is a slightly different part number for each of them) and the manufactured date.

One of my powerwalls is 3012170-05-C, and is manufactured October 2022, and the other one is 3012170-05-E and is Manufactured in November of 2022.

Yeah in general 30% is the warranty threshhold, and I had not quite hit it yet but my powerwalls also would not discharge at 5kw each, which is the angle of conversation I took with Tesla (as well as the fact that they were making an inordinate amount of noise under full discharge load).

By the time mine were replaced, they were down slightly lower than what @bmah mentions his capacity is per PW, and my 2 powerwalls would only discharge at up to 9.7kW power, not 10kW like they are specced.

As most regulars will likely know, I tend to not talk about my own personal business in too much detail, but in the spirit of sharing, this is some additional detail around what was going on with my powerwalls.

I kept prodding (politely, always politely) about the noise and the fact that they could also see they would not discharge at the specced 5kW each, and left the overall capacity as a "one more thing" type thing since it had not hit the thresshold yet. It took several months, but they eventually replaced them.
Perhaps an earlier manufacturing issue that they have since rectified through part revisions (similar to the wall connector issues)? Or just a couple bad apples you got? Hard to know for sure

Interesting tidbit: the manufacturing date is not reported, but deduced from the serial number. If you take the first 8 letters of a Powerwall serial number, e.g. TG123131:
  • TG1: Tesla Gigafactory 1 aka Gigafactory Nevada (most Powerwalls are manufactured here).
  • 23: Manufactured in 2023.
  • 131: Manufactured on 131st day of the year (May 11).

Interesting tidbit: the manufacturing date is not reported, but deduced from the serial number. If you take the first 8 letters of a Powerwall serial number, e.g. TG123131:
  • TG1: Tesla Gigafactory 1 aka Gigafactory Nevada (most Powerwalls are manufactured here).
In the NetZero app, when I try to configure the Site Controller access, I need a password. A link to Tesla documentation is provided for help finding that. The Tesla page the link leads to does not mention a Site Controller, but does adress Gateways and Powerwalls. I think the Gateway what the app refers to as the Site Controller?

In the NetZero app, when I try to configure the Site Controller access, I need a password. A link to Tesla documentation is provided for help finding that. The Tesla page the link leads to does not mention a Site Controller, but does adress Gateways and Powerwalls. I think the Gateway what the app refers to as the Site Controller?

Yes, if you have a gateway, it is your site controller. In installations with a backup switch instead of a gateway, one of the Powerwall+ batteries is designated as the site controller. I realize "site controller" not a common term so I might change it back to "Gateway/Powerwall+".

I think I said this before, but this app is one of the most amazing phone apps I have ever used. Its better than 90% of most commercial phone apps, and I mean apps for "anything" not apps for teslas or cars.

Every time I open it up I am grateful you created it and are maintaining it.

I think I said this before, but this app is one of the most amazing phone apps I have ever used. Its better than 90% of most commercial phone apps, and I mean apps for "anything" not apps for teslas or cars.

Every time I open it up I am grateful you created it and are maintaining it.

Oh my, thank you for the kind words! With such a glowing review I might have to ask you for permission to post it on the app website :)

Oh my, thank you for the kind words! With such a glowing review I might have to ask you for permission to post it on the app website :)

I dont mind, as long as you dont quote me as "TMC moderator jjrandorin" since my comments are not official TMC statements in this capacity. With that being said, if you want to link to this thread or something where I said this, I dont mind.

Reactions: offandonagain
Yes, if you have a gateway, it is your site controller. In installations with a backup switch instead of a gateway, one of the Powerwall+ batteries is designated as the site controller. I realize "site controller" not a common term so I might change it back to "Gateway/Powerwall+".
Thanks - for both your response, and the app. I sure like that diagnostics page. Nicer when connected to the Site Controller, good stuff.

I discovered the NetZero app a couple weeks ago. Installed it, and it reported that my Powerwall manufactured Nov 2018 has 32% degradation! I contacted support through the chat in the Tesla app, and in 5 minutes they confirmed an issue and said that "Level 2" support would reach out to me soon. Today, they scheduled an appointment to service the Powerwall next week.

I discovered the NetZero app a couple weeks ago. Installed it, and it reported that my Powerwall manufactured Nov 2018 has 32% degradation! I contacted support through the chat in the Tesla app, and in 5 minutes they confirmed an issue and said that "Level 2" support would reach out to me soon. Today, they scheduled an appointment to service the Powerwall next week.
Does service mean replace?

I discovered the NetZero app a couple weeks ago. Installed it, and it reported that my Powerwall manufactured Nov 2018 has 32% degradation!

That is worse than mine… manufactured January 2019, 26.9% degradation. It seems odds-on it will degrade more than 30% within the next 12-18 months.

I wonder if PW2’s are a ticking timebomb for Tesla, as more and more trigger the warranty. While many seem to be doing just fine, there’s a bunch that aren’t.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet