Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2: SGIP/Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't Tesla's "unlimited" battery warranty conditional on being 100% solar charged?

Technically yes, but the amount of throughput per Powerwall that the "limited" battery warranty allows is 37.8 MWh. If I got my decimal points right, this comes out to just over 10 kWh per Powerwall per day, which seems like a fairly generous allocation for any truly residential system. In any case, it doesn't seem likely that one would exceed that amount using solar and self-consumption, so you don't end up getting more of a warranty from charging only with solar.

Reactions: abasile
The battery only really helps in a backup situation or if you don’t have more room for panels.

Ideally we would be selling the off peak back at peak rates but we can’t so instead we are selling partial peak back for a lower differential. And you are only selling it back at the rate you consume vs just selling it all back until you hit the reserve.

Overall, I’m still happy with it. It’s fun and cool to use the app and see all the numbers. Wish the detailed charts and history went back more than 1 days though. We didn’t get it to truly pay for itself but rather to be green, have backup, and have fun.
I haven't checked it lately, but a few months ago, PVoutput.org has detailed instructions on how to generate, upload and keep logs of your Powerwall data. I kept logs, polling every 5 minutes to 1/2 hour for weeks.

I had to contact Tesla several times to get feedback from them on the process, and I think I may have pushed them through a bit. I am one of the last SGIP applicants in my time period of application and installation being serviced, and finally I received two notices from Self Generation Program at PG&E via email within 20 minutes of each other today. The first one was

"We are pleased to inform you that we have received your SGIP Incentive Claim Form (ICF) package for Project ID: PGE-SGIP-2017-XXXX for XXX XXX. Please see below for the reservation details.", a list of values, then "
Next Steps:
· Pacific Gas and Electric will perform a detailed review of the ICF package within the next 10 business days to ensure all required documentation was submitted. Pacific Gas and Electric will contact you regarding any missing, incomplete, or invalid information, at which point you will have 30 business days from the date of the request email to resolve any issues.
· Once your ICF documentation is complete your project will be submitted for technical review."
, and a Questions phone number.​

The email 20 minutes later said

"Great news! We are delighted to let you know that this SGIP project has been approved for an incentive payment:", a similar list of values, and "

The final incentive amount that XXX XXX will receive is based upon information provided in the Incentive Claim Form package and the results of the project/site inspection.

XXX XXX will receive one of the following incentive payment(s) :

1. Projects under 30kW rated capacity: $X,XXX.XX, the maximum incentive amount, as an upfront payment within 20 business days
2. Projects 30kW rated capacity and larger: 50% of $X,XXX.XX, the maximum incentive amount, as an upfront payment within 20 business days. The remaining 50% will be paid according to the guidelines of the Performance-Based Incentive (PBI) structure."

I think the payment step is upcoming. From my vague memory, this takes less than a couple of months.

I find it interesting they decided not to schedule a site inspection of my installation, but it seems reasonable, since Tesla, PG&E, and my public web site have all documented copious telemetry, and Tesla had substantial installation design, engineering, and building permit documentation, as well as photographic documentation from multiple parties, so inspections could have proceeded using that evidence. After experience inspecting other installations in similar places and times by similar installers, they could have needed less review to come to similar conclusions they prior would have needed site inspections for.

I presume it doesn't hurt that my PowerWall 2 system has been performing fairly satisfactorily (not flawlessly, but close to it (e.g., I've occasionally documented some sensitive computers crashing when it switches over to backup, and I wish it had more software features and tighter more useful integration with my solar panels and inverter and electric car charger)).
I received my SGIP check in the mail today via USPS. They had it as status "ICF Pending Payment" on Friday, and today it shows status "Payment Completed" as of the 14th. Finally! It only takes around two years.

Many SGIP were processed in half the time, so maybe a year or so, or less even, whereas as I perused some of the really big projects in that list, I noticed some took several years to finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kren and NuShrike
Got my check yesterday for step 1. Whew! A brief synopsis of timeline: ordered December 2016 (briefly after announcement), Tesla submitted rebate form on May 2017 (after signing contract), installed April 2018, received notice PG&E was doing review of final incentive claim form November 2018 (had to resubmit once due to error but Tesla was prompt on that), and finally check arrived December 24, 2018.

Reactions: Kren
Got my check yesterday for step 1. Whew! A brief synopsis of timeline: ordered December 2016 (briefly after announcement), Tesla submitted rebate form on May 2017 (after signing contract), installed April 2018, received notice PG&E was doing review of final incentive claim form November 2018 (had to resubmit once due to error but Tesla was prompt on that), and finally check arrived December 24, 2018.
That is fantastic. Getting in Step 1 directly through Tesla and not paying the 3rd party markup is almost like winning the lottery.

Reactions: Kren
Looks like no SGIP rebate on our Powerwalls, since it's been over 12 months since our PTO in April 2018. Oh well. I knew it was a bit of a gamble, though I wish Tesla had been more transparent about the status of their SGIP queue. On the plus side, we got our Powerwalls installed before Tesla significantly raised Powerwall prices. And we never had to go without power over the winter (though we did experience issues during power outages with a stubbornly high output frequency, consequent failure to charge from solar, and an inductive stove that wouldn't work due to the high frequency). I'll be content if Tesla can fix the current Powerwall software bugs.

Looks like no SGIP rebate on our Powerwalls, since it's been over 12 months since our PTO in April 2018. Oh well. I knew it was a bit of a gamble, though I wish Tesla had been more transparent about the status of their SGIP queue. On the plus side, we got our Powerwalls installed before Tesla significantly raised Powerwall prices. And we never had to go without power over the winter (though we did experience issues during power outages with a stubbornly high output frequency, consequent failure to charge from solar, and an inductive stove that wouldn't work due to the high frequency). I'll be content if Tesla can fix the current Powerwall software bugs.

I will probably be joining you soon on the no SGIP list. We got our PTO 5/21, but it looks like SCE probably won’t open step 5 in time. Agree that Tesla really botched the communication. When I signed I was told Step 3, when they were already full through Step 4.

When I signed I was told Step 3, when they were already full through Step 4.
Same here. It does bother me that Tesla/SolarCity salespeople were telling us that we would most likely get the SGIP rebate, in Step 3. I do have to credit SGIP for getting us to consider Powerwalls in the first place. They're worth having even without the rebate.

• Love
Reactions: Skryll and Az_Rael
It looks like I qualify for the new SPIG Residential Equity Resilience Storage Incentive since I live in a Tier 2 wirdfire zone (and have had multiple PSP shutdowns) and am on an electric powered well. SemperSolaris says I should qualify for 2 Powerwalls with a $1 per watt rebate.
As far as I can tell, The Equity Resilance Incentive falls under Step 5 and PG&E will open up applications on May 1.
Does anyone know if there is an associated increase in the step 5 developer cap for this program? I.e., can I apply through Tesla?