Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 "waiting list"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See above, all flat rate pricing. Probably just one more example of why they have increased their installation costs.

Is the space "living space"? Since the initial request of the PWs for my basement I had three kids, put them through college and updated my basement into "living space". Will they still install the PWs in that space? It will be in a closet where my electric panels are kept. I made the closet big knowing that I was going to put it in there. If not they will have to run lines from the garage to the electric/solar panels.

Is the space "living space"? Since the initial request of the PWs for my basement I had three kids, put them through college and updated my basement into "living space". Will they still install the PWs in that space? It will be in a closet where my electric panels are kept. I made the closet big knowing that I was going to put it in there. If not they will have to run lines from the garage to the electric/solar panels.

No, it is not living space. It is in the garage (a finished garage, but still a garage).

I was told that the PW can't be placed in a "living space" due to the risk of explosions. I don't know if that's a policy that is strongly enforced.

I have a completely finished garage (walls, insulation, ceiling, window, lights, etc... and they had no issue with installing my two Powerwalls in it, I don't think that is consider a living space as I don't think (in my county) they include that space in the overall square footage of my house.

Plus, every 24 hours, it does make a lot of noise as it's recalibrating its' thermal control system, so I don't think anyone wants it in any space where you're living from. This preventative feature came out in PowerwallOS 1.23 (release notes below)

Version 1.23 - September 2018
Powerwall will automatically perform preventative maintenance on its thermal control system. During this time, you may hear louder than usual noise from Powerwall for approximately 30 minutes

I was told that the PW can't be placed in a "living space" due to the risk of explosions. I don't know if that's a policy that is strongly enforced.

Who/what made the statement? Explosions of what, actually? The PW uses NMC cells rather than NCA and so the venting with flame of NMC is far less than NCA should they pierced for some reason. PW would actually work better and more efficiently if kept in an air-conditioned, ambient air temp of about 70*F than any other space. Garages can get hot or cold with the outdoor ambient air changes. Except in maybe the bay area where temps are roughly always the same range.

Reactions: ohmman