Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall and solar stopped production suddenly - sitemaster needs a default real mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Powerwall and system stopped production suddenly on Saturday 2024-06-22 around noon.

Got a message to reconnect the Gateway to wi-fi network. Followed the steps in the app. Still did not work.

Chatted with Tesla support and logged into the Gateway (TEG portal). I got the "Unable to start system: sitemaster needs a default real mode" when I tried to start the system.

Tesla rep logged a Tier 2 ticket and stated a 5-10 business day turnaround.

Current firmware: v 23.44.0 eb113390

Has anyone encountered the same issue recently? Sucks that it has to go offline when we need A/C the most.

Chatted with Tesla support and logged into the Gateway (TEG portal). I got the "Unable to start system: sitemaster needs a default real mode" when I tried to start the system.

Has anyone encountered the same issue recently? Sucks that it has to go offline when we need A/C the most.

I've seen a few reports of this recently, both on this forum and on Reddit. Sounds like it can be caused by a failed firmware update, after which the configuration of the system gets wiped. The system needs to be recommissioned in that case.

Nothing yet. I guess this is only day 2. I'm surprised you were able to log into the gateway or TEG portal. Did you do that through your browser?

You will not be able to use a web browser with Powerwall 3. The Tesla One app works, but you'd need access to the password which is behind the PW3 glass cover (which is not something you should remove on your own).

After watching the story for the fourth time, I thought the exact same thing on both accounts.

As a start, maybe Tesla could make the lv battery warnings super persistent . . . perhaps require escalating driver acknowledgement/input before drive.
Annoying for most of us, but helpful for those less focused.

I've seen a few reports of this recently, both on this forum and on Reddit. Sounds like it can be caused by a failed firmware update, after which the configuration of the system gets wiped. The system needs to be recommissioned in that case.

You will not be able to use a web browser with Powerwall 3. The Tesla One app works, but you'd need access to the password which is behind the PW3 glass cover (which is not something you should remove on your own).
I should be able to get that during installation, right? Gonna add this to my INSTALLATION CHECKLIST.

Last edited:
I was able to get it back online using the following steps:

Download TeslaOne app from App Store
Login as external partner using customer email (my own)
Scan QR code on gateway
Change utilities setting to current provider
Start system and enable inverter
The powerwall and gateway takes a few minutes to download the updated firmware

System is back online with the updated firmware:

24.12.3 1feaff3a