Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PowerWall bundling option gone from Solar Design page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mjptech

Being cyberbullied by TMC users PhilDavid + DCEV
Mar 30, 2019
Ventura
Just noticed that the option to bundle Powerwalls is no longer showing up on the Solar Design page:

2020-02-11.png

Anyone else notice this?

I think they are doing something with the website. I also noticed while you can access any of the cars right now (think they updated the Model Y because of some of the comments on people's being changed), I can't click on the Roadster at all or the Energy tabs on the home page.

The $250 referral is still in my Tesla App's loot box as a car owner (after installation for both referrer and new solar owner).

Without the PowerWalls, we would never have ordered our system last year - and by bundling the PowerWalls with the solar panels, we were able to get the 30% tax credit on the entire system (including the PowerWalls).

This must be a mistake, because it doesn't make sense to plan for an installation for solar panels only, if the owner also wants to install PowerWalls at the same time.

Without the PowerWalls, we would never have ordered our system last year - and by bundling the PowerWalls with the solar panels, we were able to get the 30% tax credit on the entire system (including the PowerWalls).

This must be a mistake, because it doesn't make sense to plan for an installation for solar panels only, if the owner also wants to install PowerWalls at the same time.

Just a tiny correction, if you install powerwalls "later" and attach them to existing solar, you still get the tax credit, at whatever level is available at time of install.

So, installing solar now in february, and doing powerwalls "later" say in october of this year would both still get the same tax credit. of 26% that is available this year.

Reactions: E Dizzle
If this is in fact their new approach, one thing you may miss out on is the discount Tesla applied for installing solar and Powerwalls together. That knocked my install cost down by $2.5k.

I wonder if calling in is the only way to do the bundle.. Or, if they even offer the bundle discount anymore. Or, going through the Powerwall order page (which then negates the referral credit) is the way to do it..

Tweeted out to Elon and Tesla - no response...

Is there a refresh coming up on the Powerwall?

I wonder if they just have too much demand for the Powerwall - it's just about hard to find the Powerwall on the Tesla website unless you really dig for it. You have to click on the side-menu, select energy, then scroll down to find the Powerwall page.

Was told that they have stopped stand-alone Powerwall installs. My sunroof estimate wasn’t good enough in terms of generation so I asked (again!) for them to send me a quote *just* for the Powerwall install and that when my adviser said that’s not offered anymore at this time.

I have heard that Tesla has more business than it can handle, and has eliminated the 'bundle discount' for solar & PWs.

And if it is true that they have stopped standalone PW installs, then I got in just in time. But in NoCA with the fires and Public Safety Power Shutoffs, there are a lot of existing solar customers clamoring for PWs.

I have heard that Tesla has more business than it can handle, and has eliminated the 'bundle discount' for solar & PWs.

And if it is true that they have stopped standalone PW installs, then I got in just in time. But in NoCA with the fires and Public Safety Power Shutoffs, there are a lot of existing solar customers clamoring for PWs.

Agree about the fires and more the pre-emptive power shutoffs driving PW demand. Almost all of the people in my neighborhood want to do something about having to endure more days with no power next fall. We are going with PWs, but will keep the generator and loan it out if the PWs work well.

This is really disappointing that the option is no longer listed. I deferred on panels last year and we decided to wait until after our tax refund came back to use towards the install. Was wondering if it was just me when I went to log in yesterday to size the unit and found the option to buy the bundle was removed. Guess I'll just wait awhile and see if the option returns.

I think they indeed overwhelmed with orders. I reserved 2 PW on Jan 25, called them two weeks later as I never been contacted and was told if nobody calls another 2 weeks to call back and escalate. I called yesterday and was told that now the timeframe for initial follow up as 1-2 months and install would be in 6-8 months. And the dude sounded like he just came up with those numbers.

This is really disappointing that the option is no longer listed. I deferred on panels last year and we decided to wait until after our tax refund came back to use towards the install. Was wondering if it was just me when I went to log in yesterday to size the unit and found the option to buy the bundle was removed. Guess I'll just wait awhile and see if the option returns.

Have you tried to do a chat with them, or, give a call (or, even place a deposit)? I was in the same boat, well, other than waiting for the tax refund.. I just wanted to wait for price drops that would occur after the credit dropped...

We ordered our bundle first week of January when we stopped in one of the stores. Been working with Tesla Energy on our roof layout, photos and obtained HOA permission. They were working with our City permit office. Last week we got a call informing us that the order was being split into two installs. Our solar will be going in next month; however the City permit office indicated to them that we'll need to update our 200A center fed main panel to a 200A end fed one, with a 225A busbar (new 2020 California code for solar installs). We just signed off on that modification work so the revised plan's permit is ready to be approved. Should be getting our scheduled date very soon for March. If you find yourself in the same position having a split install, know that we were told they will measure out the entire system for placement but install the solar portion only now. This will enable accruing solar credits and use of the solar system during the summer. Our PW portion is now scheduled for the fall, hopefully before any safety power shutdowns affect us.

Yes, the response to PW has been apparently overwhelming and I'm not surprised they pulled the bundle at this point. Tesla Energy has a lot of solar jobs listed online right now. They are building and training new install teams. Elon said the solar energy side of the business would be taking off this year and I don't doubt it. A nearby neighbor of ours who ordered his PWs in October just got his two installed this past week by Tesla. His development was built with solar but after experiencing 3 days without power in the October outage decided to order backup storage after that experience. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla remains backed up on installs for the rest of the year at least in wildfire prone areas of California. No idea if other solar companies are in better shape with their installs teams availability but we're sticking with Tesla. I will say everyone we have been working with has been very professional and they understand how disappointed the delays are for people especially in the PG&E fire risk area.

Last edited:
Is there any chance that this unbundling etc is because of a new product? I am going to be disappointed if there is a new product a month or two after I just installed, but there is nothing I can do about it.

I just wonder if they are stopping powerwall deliveries until they announce (and have stock of) some new product.....

Baseless speculation maybe.... shrug.

We ordered our bundle first week of January when we stopped in one of the stores. Been working with Tesla Energy on our roof layout, photos and obtained HOA permission. .

This is awesome that retail stores involved in the process. Boston area stores are not in the loop and not only cannot assist you with anything but simply have no information.

Is there any chance that this unbundling etc is because of a new product? I am going to be disappointed if there is a new product a month or two after I just installed, but there is nothing I can do about it.

I just wonder if they are stopping powerwall deliveries until they announce (and have stock of) some new product.....

Baseless speculation maybe.... shrug.
I think they have no Powerwall supply for today's orders, so there's no point to pushing them when ordering solar. They want to ramp up solar installs, but waiting for Powerwalls gets in the way of that.

Reactions: jjrandorin
This is awesome that retail stores involved in the process. Boston area stores are not in the loop and not only cannot assist you with anything but simply have no information.

Clarifying, our store had displays and the contact there helped us order online, answered a lot of questions about what to expect going forward, added my referral code to my husband’s order, and got our order started in the system after paying our initial $100. He said he’d be our contact if we needed to reach out and would be able to see our progress and people we were working with at his end; and if need be could move things along. Haven’t needed to contact him however.

Shortly after our order was placed we got an email and then assigned a NV contact that we have been working with. Very knowledgable, helped answer a ton of questions we had during a couple of lengthy conference calls and other emails. Roof panel layout was revised once. Signed our contract and elected to send in photos instead of paying to have someone come out for site survey. Been working through submitting info and photos on the app (similar to when ordering a car). When we had questions and sent an email or left voicemail can say we heard back with a day or two. We are now in the city permitting stage (our city is fast tracking solar system applications) and when that comes through will be scheduled for the solar portion of the install which we’re told will happen in March.

Reactions: jjrandorin