Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall charging to 97% max instead of 100%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone has this problem as well. I got 2 new powerwalls put in yesterday finally. Gateway Firmware is updated, Set to Backup mode and today it topped off at 97% not 100%. Not seeing it charge to 100% can't be normal i suspect.
Screenshot_2019-11-23-15-35-03.png
Screenshot_2019-11-23-15-34-48.png
Screenshot_2019-11-23-15-34-43.png

Don't have an answer for you on this but a question. How long was your process, end to end?
City?
You may be lucky to get two PW as what I hear, fire code may limit it to one in a garage.
Before anyone falls over who isn’t aware, this is a California thing. I have 3 and some have (many) more elsewhere.

I still don’t get the code issue. Hope logic (lol) can prevail on this. One PW doesn’t back up much.

Was there any progress on the idea that these units were exempt because of whatever standard they did meet?

Don't have an answer for you on this but a question. How long was your process, end to end?
City?
You may be lucky to get two PW as what I hear, fire code may limit it to one in a garage.

They are mounted outside on the side of the house so it wasn't an issue. As far as process it is still not finished, they failed inspection b/c the installers tried taking a few shortcuts, nothing major but they have to come back out and stucco lath for inspector to pass than stucco the hole they cut.

Charging to 97% is normal in backup mode. Sometimes to 98%. In other modes, it will get to 100%.

Totally normal.

Yeah mine are ‘fully charged’ (daytime with sun out) and they are at 97%. Don’t worry about it. They will charge more when storm watch/disaster watch (what happened to this renaming?) enables in bad weather.

I think if you switch to Self Powered mode it will charge to 100%. You can always set it to self power mode and set the Power Outage reserve to 100%.

Thanks guys very reassuring this is normal.

If is switch to Self Powered Mode will Storm watch still function? My intention installing these was strictly for backup power but If i can get an extra 3% and use self power mode + storm watch than what is the harm?

Before anyone falls over who isn’t aware, this is a California thing. I have 3 and some have (many) more elsewhere.

I still don’t get the code issue. Hope logic (lol) can prevail on this. One PW doesn’t back up much.

Was there any progress on the idea that these units were exempt because of whatever standard they did meet?
I had a bid for 6, in TN by Lightwave Solar, who state they are an official Tesla partner.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Thanks guys very reassuring this is normal.

If is switch to Self Powered Mode will Storm watch still function? My intention installing these was strictly for backup power but If i can get an extra 3% and use self power mode + storm watch than what is the harm?

Yes, Storm Watch works in all modes. The only question in my mind is if the 97% is intentional in backup mode to preserve the batteries. I don't use backup mode, but if it truly is a feature that it only charges to 97%, it might make sense just to live with it. 3% is not that much extra runtime in the scheme of things, and if there's a high likelihood of an outage, Storm Watch would likely kick in anyway.

Yes, Storm Watch works in all modes. The only question in my mind is if the 97% is intentional in backup mode to preserve the batteries. I don't use backup mode, but if it truly is a feature that it only charges to 97%, it might make sense just to live with it. 3% is not that much extra runtime in the scheme of things, and if there's a high likelihood of an outage, Storm Watch would likely kick in anyway.

I was just concerned if the 3% was due to a defect. The fact of the matter is i don't think this battery is fully charged to 100% in terms of cell voltage. Li does not last very long if it fully stored at 4.2V for example for a long time. I never did get an answer back from Tesla on this in terms of real capacity and how that 100% or 97% translates to cell voltage. My guess would be even at 97% it does not mean the cells are fully charged so why not just allow the 100% charge relative to the actual voltage. Mine actually went up to 98% today. Just more curious than anything but it sounds like based on everyone's feedback it is normal.

Thanks for the tip on storm watch, I might go that route to use self powered mode and reserve at 100% if it acts the same exact way as backup mode with the addition 2-3% of the relative voltage what ever that may be.

97% is not. :D. From what I’ve read 100% is approximately 90% actual for just that reason so you can run at ‘100%’ forever and not worry about it. Stormwatch then is supposed to charge as much as possible above that so it goes over ‘100’ for the duration of the event and then normal usage will eat it up back down to the normal 97 or so.

I have four (4) powerwalls that have been installed for two months.
I run them in Backup-only 100% mode.
They currently, in 50 - 60 degree weather, charge every other day to 99% SOC. (per Tesla app)
Over two days they drain to 96% and then charge back up to 99%.
I don't know if they would perform differently in warmer (or colder) weather....... time will tell.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jakestgermain