Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Companion - updated Windows app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you are reading off of Tesla's data, are you only using their 5-minute number? Does Tesla integrate accurately what happens between the 5 minute data?
Are you able to integrate the raw reading gathered x number of times in that 5 minute interval?
There are separate APIs for power and energy. The CSV exports are pretty much a raw dump of what the APIs return. I'm not doing any extrapolation in the app, and I presume (but can't confirm) that the energy values measure cumulative totals rather than extrapolate from the instantaneous power readings.

Reactions: charlesj
When you are on the daily view, the exported data contains instantaneous power values (in watts) at 5 minute intervals. If you add all the numbers together and divide by 12 (because there are 12 five minute periods in an hour) you'll get the approximate total energy for the day in Wh. However this will only be approximate as the power usage may change between the readings. To get an accurate total I'd suggest switching to weekly or monthly view and exporting from there, as that will give you the daily energy totals without any need for manual calculations.
Thanks for that. I tried exporting on monthly view and for some reason, 12/27/23 is not exporting. Can you try it?

Thanks for that. I tried exporting on monthly view and for some reason, 12/27/23 is not exporting. Can you try it?
Works for me. Do you see bars for the 27th on the chart in the app, or is it missing from there too?

1703970273166.png

Interesting even happened just now when I opened up the companion. Made me log in again but that sent me to another page about 3rd party. So far it is not working for me.
Wow, what a runaround. Works now after two attempts. I see it must have been because the app was updated to 4.9.1

Last edited:
Interesting even happened just now when I opened up the companion. Made me log in again but that sent me to another page about 3rd party. So far it is not working for me.
Wow, what a runaround. Works now after two attempts. I see it must have been because the app was updated to 4.9.1
Yes the new version uses the officially supported API and is more secure. Not sure why it made you log in twice; if anyone else sees this please shout out.

Updated version in the store now has region-aware maximum capacity and improved tooltips on the charts.
Hi, I have been using the powerwall app on my laptop - windows 10 and I love it , However 2 days ago it just stopped working? It works fine on my ipad and phones, but just not on my laptop. I get this error
Last error occurred at 01/01/2024 09:35:
{"response":null,"error":"not_found","error_description":""}

I have reinstalled the app but no luck, please help
cheers missy

Attachments

• Tesla Power wall Screenshot 2024-01-01 152929.png
    Tesla Power wall Screenshot 2024-01-01 152929.png
    68 KB · Views: 10
Hi, I have been using the powerwall app on my laptop - windows 10 and I love it , However 2 days ago it just stopped working? It works fine on my ipad and phones, but just not on my laptop. I get this error
Last error occurred at 01/01/2024 09:35:
{"response":null,"error":"not_found","error_description":""}

I have reinstalled the app but no luck, please help
cheers missy
Followed up offline

Wow! Three new versions in three days (and I am still unable to find the release notes)

V5.0.0.0 this morning
It's summer holidays; plenty of time for coding!

Release notes can be seen in the Store listing:
1704320178219.png

Key new feature is new power graph options in the daily history view (similar to what you see in the Tesla app). The app also now shows your energy tariffs alongside the chart.

1704320214143.png

I don't see the purpose of the new update as I still need to select / deselect the individual items.
e.g. if I select Home and Solar that is what graph shows me, if I then click all data nothing changes I still only see Home and Solar.
Confused !

I don't see the purpose of the new update as I still need to select / deselect the individual items.
e.g. if I select Home and Solar that is what graph shows me, if I then click all data nothing changes I still only see Home and Solar.
Confused !
If you don't like the new views, you can keep using the All Data view.
But the views are fundamentally different. In the screenshot above, I selected "Home". The chart just shows the home consumption, but it breaks it up by source (solar, grid, battery). The "All Data" view can show you just home usage if you deselect the other series, but you can't see how it's broken down.

If you don't like the new views, you can keep using the All Data view.
But the views are fundamentally different. In the screenshot above, I selected "Home". The chart just shows the home consumption, but it breaks it up by source (solar, grid, battery). The "All Data" view can show you just home usage if you deselect the other series, but you can't see how it's broken down.
I see the difference with tool tips showing / not showing values but I do not get the little icons to the right of the graph below the all data panel.
Not a big deal just wondering why.

I see the difference with tool tips showing / not showing values but I do not get the little icons to the right of the graph below the all data panel.
Not a big deal just wondering why.
I'm not sure I understand. Please share some screenshots if it will help.

By default the "All Data" view shows all 4 series, overlaid on top of each other:
1704322182935.png

If you want, you can use the check boxes to show/hide individual series so the chart is less cluttered:
1704322216633.png

Using the dropdown you can select a single series, and the chart will show the components that make up that power source as a stacked series. For example this "Home" chart is identical in shape to the one above, but you can see whether the home use came from grid/battery/solar.
1704322252904.png

Reactions: RKCRLR and Matt-FL
Release notes mention 5.1 but I'm still on 5.0. Maybe tonight? I leave the app running 24/7 in the corner of a screen and if it's missing in the morning (as it was today) I get excited because that usually means a new version.

A side question - does the raw data you can access include any history of battery capacity? Knowing the current figure is great but if the data is available it would be interesting to see the degradation over time (5 years for my battery)