Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Companion - updated Windows app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, wanted to let everyone know that I've made some significant updates to the Windows version of my Powerwall Companion app. It now includes a more detailed home screen, historical charts with data downloads, and a summary of your battery health. You can get the app from the Microsoft Store, and it's completely free. Powerwall Companion - Official app in the Microsoft Store

There's also an Android app with similar features which you can get from Google Play, although it hasn't been updated recently. Feedback is always welcome.

1701727831785.png

1701727844254.png

1701727857304.png

It's what the Tesla API is reporting. I can't vouch for its accuracy.

I loaded this app to try it last night, its pretty cool. I have looked at my powerwall capacity separately using some instructions others have posted here, and the number reported in your app seems to match the numbers I saw when I checked my powerwalls separately and added the capacity totals together.

I dont quite understand what you mean by "warranted capacity" though but for this discussion it really isnt relevant.

I also am wondering where you are storing the tesla token on login? the login method looks like its re directing to Tesla but I am not sure what is happening there.

This is a great app! It is nice to see the warranted capacity. Mine shows over 100%, since Tesla's starting capacity is about 15kWh and their stated starting capacity is 13.2 (the number Tesla claims as the starting point for 70% degradation over 10 years). Makes it simple to see where you are at.

Definitely another great app to use for keeping track, thanks for building!

1702058321285.png

So, my deep thought question, where did you come up with 'Thirty Hippos'?

Hey, thanks for the comments - catching up on a few:

I dont quite understand what you mean by "warranted capacity" though but for this discussion it really isnt relevant.

My Powerwall warranty stipulates they guarantee 70% retention after 10 years, but this is based on an assumed initial capacity of 13.2 kWh. When new the battery's capacity is likely larger than that, hence "warranted capacity". Note I'm going off the AU/NZ warranty; if the warranted capacity varies by location or model let me know and I can make this configurable.

I also am wondering where you are storing the tesla token on login? the login method looks like its re directing to Tesla but I am not sure what is happening there.

After the login flow, the app receives the Access Token and Refresh Token (it does not see your credentials). The app stores this in the app's private storage (a UWP app thing). When the session expires I use the refresh token to try to get a new Access Token; if this fails then I show the login UI again.

Another new version last night! Anything interesting new?
I do add release notes with each version, but I did several releases last week which were all bug fixes and UI tweaks.

I do have a suggestion for the creator to add time of event when moving cursor around to correlate with
an oven turned on for instance.
Yeah this is a good idea. The charts are built by a 3rd party library and I couldn't figure out how to show the date on the tooltip but I'll keep looking

How does one check for updates? I cannot see what version number is installed?
This is an advantage of using the Microsoft Store to distribute apps; the answer to these questions is the same for all apps.

So, my deep thought question, where did you come up with 'Thirty Hippos'?
Not really sure, it just came to me as an option to be quasi-anonymous but link it to my initials...

BTW if you like the app, please add a review/rating on the Microsoft Store, and/or show your appreciation on my ko-fi page.

My Powerwall warranty stipulates they guarantee 70% retention after 10 years, but this is based on an assumed initial capacity of 13.2 kWh. When new the battery's capacity is likely larger than that, hence "warranted capacity". Note I'm going off the AU/NZ warranty; if the warranted capacity varies by location or model let me know and I can make this configurable.

Maybe this is different in AU/NZ but the warranty document from Tesla here in the US shows the capacity figured from 13.5 kWh. Thats why the 13.2 kWh number confused me, but like I said, it may be different in other countries.

Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 1.04.31 PM.png

Thanks for the info! I haven't fact-checked this but here's what Copilot has to say about different warranties:
The warranted capacity of a Tesla Powerwall 2 battery varies by country, primarily due to different warranty terms provided by Tesla. Here’s a summary of the warranted capacity in different regions:

Please note that these figures are based on the warranty terms provided by Tesla and are subject to certain conditions and exclusions. It’s always best to refer to the specific warranty documentation for your region for the most accurate information. If you need further details, I can assist you in finding the official Tesla warranty documents for your region.
Looks like I'll need to add some more configurability around this feature in the next update.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks for the info! I haven't fact-checked this but here's what Copilot has to say about different warranties:

Looks like I'll need to add some more configurability around this feature in the next update.

I had no idea there was that much variability in the warranty terms between countries, on what "should" be the same product (lol).

I think the easy thing to do would be to make the field configurable, but that would also lead to people putting in the wrong number, etc.

It is probably harder, but it seems like it would be better to take the information you just gathered above and put a "installed country?" drop down field, and then have the field configured from that. You could present it just like it is above, not with individual countries but the groups like you found above. You could add an Other field for countries that allows self configuration, for countries that dont fit in the list.

Just throwing an idea out, while I am sitting here watching american football this afternoon my time.

Reactions: DTXMME
It is probably harder, but it seems like it would be better to take the information you just gathered above and put a "installed country?" drop down field, and then have the field configured from that. You could present it just like it is above, not with individual countries but the groups like you found above. You could add an Other field for countries that allows self configuration, for countries that dont fit in the list.
I can access the OS region settings; it shouldn't be hard to use that to calculate the warranted capacity (unless/until Tesla starts changing things).