Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall discharging to grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this evening that my Powerwall was discharging to the grid. I assume this has to do with Eversource connected solutions demand response. I was expecting to be notified of events but have not received any notification. Does anybody have experience with this? I am located in Connecticut. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210107-160527[25457].png
    Screenshot_20210107-160527[25457].png
    762.5 KB · Views: 225
Looks like the power went to the grid because my "to grid" number jumped up significantly. Perhaps there is a problem with the setup of my system? My solar generation total has not been accurate (about 50% of actual) since install and still has not been fixed after several calls and emails. I rely on solar edge for generation numbers.

I’m on Eversource in mass and this is what I had today. I had also expected to get notified for connectedsolutions events, but didn’t get one. I got PTO on Xmas eve and haven’t even gotten the final approval notification for connectedsolutions
0FBE0DEF-10DD-46D8-8536-CF21EFB685E3.png
pretty clearly going powerwall to grid.

I’m on Eversource in mass and this is what I had today. I had also expected to get notified for connectedsolutions events, but didn’t get one. I got PTO on Xmas eve and haven’t even gotten the final approval notification for connectedsolutions View attachment 625458pretty clearly going powerwall to grid.

Congrats on the PTO! I just had mine in November. Thanks for this information and screenshot. It looks like we had our event around the same time. I went back and looked at the connected solution's contract and there is no mention of any notification so it's possible we will not be notified when this happens.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210107-183158[25465].png
    Screenshot_20210107-183158[25465].png
    204 KB · Views: 110
Isn't there an option with Eversource to only sign up for Summer and not for Winter which pays a lot less?

It's possible but I was not offered the choice in my agreement with Tesla. Right now it appears that only Massachusetts and Connecticut offer winter events.

State Customer Incentive

Summer/Winter
Massachusetts $180/kW $40/kW
Rhode Island $320/kW No winter events
Connecticut $180/kW $40/kW
New Hampshire $180/kW No winter events

@Rich121 Could this be incorrectly installed CTs on the lines since you know your solar production is way off?

I’d reach out to Tesla to have them check out. BTW once you have had your install there is another phone number or maybe just department to reach for what I’ll call “after care”. We had a question after PTO and were told this so don’t waste time contacting your Advisor any longer. He’s only really there for the planning to install stage. When you call the TE number be sure to mention up front that you already have PTO so they don’t waste time trying to put you in touch with an advisor. I’m not 100% sure what the direct line is but maybe someone else does. There is a Tesla Powerwall Hotline so maybe that’s it unless that’s just for emergencies.

Last edited:
It was a Connected Solutions discharge to the grid coordinated by Tesla.
My Tesla app has a fifth category you can add to the graph showing this and when happening there is a Grid Services icon below the Powerwall on the flow graphic.
Unfortunate during the event I didn’t get a screenshot with the grid services in the graph, but I did get it in the flow.
IMG_7314.PNG IMG_7317.PNG IMG_7315.PNG

This is here in Massachusetts. For signing up we get $40/kw in the winter and $180/kw in the summer! Our utility limits the events to 60 in the summer and 5 in the winter, between 2-7pm, 3 hour max per event, and a max draw of 5kw per Powerwall.

On this event that happened in early January, which was my first, I noticed before hand that the Powerwalls were charging from solar all day with the house running on utility. At first I was a little confused but then realized Tesla’s software was making the smart financial choice and using the cheap grid power to run the house and then right at 4pm, sold the stored solar back to the grid at the much higher price.

Reactions: Ampster
This is here in Massachusetts. For signing up we get $40/kw in the winter and $180/kw in the summer! Our utility limits the events to 60 in the summer and 5 in the winter, between 2-7pm, 3 hour max per event, and a max draw of 5kw per Powerwall.

On this event that happened in early January, which was my first, I noticed before hand that the Powerwalls were charging from solar all day with the house running on utility. At first I was a little confused but then realized Tesla’s software was making the smart financial choice and using the cheap grid power to run the house and then right at 4pm, sold the stored solar back to the grid at the much higher price.
impressive. It would be nice if all the utilities did that

Last edited:
Reactions: Ampster
Yeah, I’ve been kinda wondering that myself since signing up. All the paperwork says kw, payments are issued twice a year in June and December. In fact when writing the post I wrote it in as kWh and then went back and edited it after double checking the paperwork. So I guess I’ll find out in June.

This program was just icing on the cake and I didn’t even know it existed 9 months ago when I put down a deposit for the Powerwalls. As far as I can tell it was brand new in 2020.