Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall In Garage [what are the rules around this?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm out of luck....

One options only - exclude PWs from project and install SolarPanels only. Will it make any sense under NEM 3.0 ?
Maybe I'll be able to add PWs in a future.

I've stated this before in other threads, but I think until we know what the monthly fee for all power users based on income is, people should probably wait and see how that plays out and I don't know why anyone is in any rush right now to install solar if they are on NEM3.0.

ROI was already hard to calculate/accept with PWs on NEM2.0 (I've always came out and stated I don't expect any) and people think NEM3.0 will be better/possible?

What if it's the worst case on the monthly income law, but they make rates ultra low to lock people up in $200-$300/month bills, but drop rates to $0.15/kWh? (yeah, it won't be this low ever).

Unlike trying to hit the NEM2.0 deadline, NEM3.0 and this new proposal expected to be implemented next year, my advice is still the same of do nothing for now. I just don't see/understand the "rush" since there seems to be little benefit now.

Lastly, adding stuff later has been almost always a bigger pain trying to find people willing to do it, the cost, etc etc etc that's been mentioned many times here. Don't think it'll be that easy to just add stuff later because installers may not want to do a lower profitable job and as some others can chime in, a lot of installers won't want to touch someone else's install neither.

Even if it's the same installer (there was a post earlier), they didn't want to do it neither. Do everything at once, go as big as you can, but if I was under NEM3.0, I would personally wait and see for now.

I've stated this before in other threads, but I think until we know what the monthly fee for all power users based on income is, people should probably wait and see how that plays out and I don't know why anyone is in any rush right now to install solar if they are on NEM3.0.

ROI was already hard to calculate/accept with PWs on NEM2.0 (I've always came out and stated I don't expect any) and people think NEM3.0 will be better/possible?

What if it's the worst case on the monthly income law, but they make rates ultra low to lock people up in $200-$300/month bills, but drop rates to $0.15/kWh? (yeah, it won't be this low ever).

Unlike trying to hit the NEM2.0 deadline, NEM3.0 and this new proposal expected to be implemented next year, my advice is still the same of do nothing for now. I just don't see/understand the "rush" since there seems to be little benefit now.

Lastly, adding stuff later has been almost always a bigger pain trying to find people willing to do it, the cost, etc etc etc that's been mentioned many times here. Don't think it'll be that easy to just add stuff later because installers may not want to do a lower profitable job and as some others can chime in, a lot of installers won't want to touch someone else's install neither.

Even if it's the same installer (there was a post earlier), they didn't want to do it neither. Do everything at once, go as big as you can, but if I was under NEM3.0, I would personally wait and see for now.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Financially, it does not make much sense to install only panels now, even without possible flat fee (income based)
Tesla screwed me up by missing deadline for nem 2.0. Now another, recent, regulations for building codes. Tesla completely not proactive….
the last things which holds me is price. I signed contract in eoy 2021, 36k for 8.8kw + 2PWs. Just dropped 17k for reroofing. ;(

I have to let it go, which is hard…

Financially, it does not make much sense to install only panels now, even without possible flat fee (income based)
Tesla screwed me up by missing deadline for nem 2.0. Now another, recent, regulations for building codes. Tesla completely not proactive….
the last things which holds me is price. I signed contract in eoy 2021, 36k for 8.8kw + 2PWs. Just dropped 17k for reroofing. ;(

Yeah, it's unfortunate. You're probably only the 2nd person I've seen here state Tesla messed up their NEM2.0 deadline so most were probably ok (I'm not tracking it though). I avoided Tesla in 2021 because there were a lot more delays/issues then and it was rumored NEM2.0 will be gone in 2021 so I didn't want to risk it (that and no PWs and I wanted LFP batteries), but they extended the NEM2.0 deadline.

I assume we should hear a lot more on the income stuff next year so if you've waited this long already, maybe keep on holding on. Also, Tesla wasn't that much cheaper for me (only $0.05/W) so if you want flexibility, it can't hurt you to interview a lot of installers, but still, my earlier thought applies where I don't see the $$/math/ROI on NEM3.0 at all. Income based monthly is just too big of a nut to ignore for me still.

In light of the contract price, I wonder if it might be worth it to you to consider other locations for your Powerwall mount, such as a freestanding wall.

That's seems true. Tesla said the same. The issue is that, this wall is shared within me neighbor house, and thus his consent is needed. Apparently she is against that (not surprised though).
Tried to talked within inside garage installation again. They provided more descriptive response this time:

How is that shared? Can she see your PW if installed? Or, she just doesn't like them. Get the exact reason what is her objection.
She cannot just not like them to be rejected.
Maybe you can erect a short fence that is just tall enough between the PW and her view of it.

ps. what is in the back of the house. Maybe the other neighbor will not object? Or, even the other side of the house.
Can't believe that all three neighbors would object. Not liking is not a reason.

Or, even erect a small enclosure around the battery like some do with garbage cans, where no one can see.

Last edited:
Reactions: dev_lvl80
How is that shared? Can she see your PW if installed? Or, she just doesn't like them. Get the exact reason what is her objection.
She cannot just not like them to be rejected.
Maybe you can erect a short fence that is just tall enough between the PW and her view of it.

ps. what is in the back of the house. Maybe the other neighbor will not object? Or, even the other side of the house.
Can't believe that all three neighbors would object. Not liking is not a reason.

Or, even erect a small enclosure around the battery like some do with garbage cans, where no one can see.
We own SFH, but each neighbor shares one wall of build within another. I'd say it's not true SFH. Thus, yeah, she will see clearly installed PWs and wires.
That's a great point, thanks !

We own SFH, but each neighbor shares one wall of build within another. I'd say it's not true SFH. Thus, yeah, she will see clearly installed PWs and wires.

That's a great point, thanks !
Also, don't forget, conduits are usually painted by the crew when installation finished, blends with house color.
ps. that little enclosure with a top may help if batteries are on side where the sun would shine on them; don't let them get away with someone doesn't like the unseen battery.