Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall install location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think of the drywall as buying you time to flee the house... Hopefully the multiple smoke/heat alarms go off early. A fire from a Powerwall in a crawl space or open basement could damage a great deal of the house quickly. I suspect that is why code specifies drywall. Personally, I would think about thicker layers than code to buy everyone time.

One of our first houses had a fuel oil tank in the basement with a floor to ceiling brick wall enclosure, and a window to the outside, which always struck me as a good way to buy time in the event of a fire.

For anyone considering enclosing a Powerwall (nearly had a Freudian slip there and wrote Firewall:oops::)), I recommend looking at some of the online videos of battery fires. These can be hot intense fires, and I would consider upping the barriers with multiple heat sensors and smoke detectors.

As with the video @sunwarriors posted, I don't think I would want to be anywhere near a battery fire, even wearing nomex.

And no, I am not a fireman, nor do I play one on tv...

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Vines
I am speaking of a general NEC requirement 110.26. The answer to your question depends on the AHJ. In my opinion the PW switch on the side means it is likely to need someone to operate it while energized. This switch is needed to commission the system, change the settings or reset the system.

I am curious to hear others opinions on this item, since technically a stack of 3 powerwalls violates working clearance for the rear most unit.
Technically, since it is UL listed for stacking it is a single unit in the eyes of the code. Agree most AHJs consider all electrical equipment to require access while energized. Transformers used to be an exception 10-20 years ago, but not today in most places.

Given the only servicable part of a powerwall is the switch on the side, would a single powerwall install with say just 12" of front clearance and 12" of right-side clearance inside a fire closet be sufficient? i.e. enough that someone can easily operate the switch.

Given the only servicable part of a powerwall is the switch on the side, would a single powerwall install with say just 12" of front clearance and 12" of right-side clearance inside a fire closet be sufficient? i.e. enough that someone can easily operate the switch.
the installation instructions specify the clearance needed on all sides. It's mostly for thermal management ventilation.

I would give it much more space, as there are replaceable parts that are only accessed from either side, like 3 feet either side. The tech needs to be able to get to the sides as well. You don't want a tech having to take the Powerwall off the wall just to service something small.

Thanks @miimura and @BGbreeder for replies! FWIW @miimura the install manual available from Telsa (page 41) gives very small clearances:
Minimum clearance from left side (air intake) 2 in (50 mm)
Minimum clearance from right side (air exhaust) 6 in (150 mm)
Minimum clearance above single Powerwall 2 in (50 mm)
Minimum clearance above side-by-side Powerwalls 12 in (300 mm)
Minimum clearance between side-by-side Powerwalls 10 in (250 mm)

Nothing about front though. Thanks @BGbreeder, I didn't know how common such servicing is but assumed most of that would be done via the front taking off a front panel and that 12" on each side would likely be sufficient. Wouldn't be too hard to give more side clearance.

Main thing I really don't know is how much front clearance is required and whether a standard (32"?) fire door in front of the Powerwall would be adequate for whatever clearance is required. Either way, the ventilation definitely seems like an issue and not something I see specified at all in the installation manual. Quite the opposite it seems like it expects to be installed somewhere open with air flow, rather than somewhere fire sealed like the AHJ is requesting.

Thanks @miimura and @BGbreeder for replies! FWIW @miimura the install manual available from Telsa (page 41) gives very small clearances:

Minimum clearance from left side (air intake)2 in (50 mm)
Minimum clearance from right side (air exhaust)6 in (150 mm)
Minimum clearance above single Powerwall2 in (50 mm)
Minimum clearance above side-by-side Powerwalls 12 in (300 mm)
Minimum clearance between side-by-side Powerwalls 10 in (250 mm)

Nothing about front though. Thanks @BGbreeder, I didn't know how common such servicing is but assumed most of that would be done via the front taking off a front panel and that 12" on each side would likely be sufficient. Wouldn't be too hard to give more side clearance.

Main thing I really don't know is how much front clearance is required and whether a standard (32"?) fire door in front of the Powerwall would be adequate for whatever clearance is required. Either way, the ventilation definitely seems like an issue and not something I see specified at all in the installation manual. Quite the opposite it seems like it expects to be installed somewhere open with air flow, rather than somewhere fire sealed like the AHJ is requesting.
I think that you are right to be concerned about ventilation. Each Powerwall throws off 100W or so in idle, so heat will build up quickly in a small space. BUT, you want to vent this to the outside directly, so that any flames go outside rather than across your basement, which is what the AHJ is concerned about, right?

Someone with more experience with NEC should comment, but generally the set backs are on the order of 36" in front. Here, each Powerwall has to be 36" away from its neighbor.

All the best,

BG