Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall + No back up load requirement.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can we install powerwall plus without a back up load?
the soalr pv will be installed with powerwall plus,
customer doesnot want anythign to back up and wants all the energy to go to the grid to offsets all the time of use rates.

if we can do this do we need gatway or we can just land the outputt from powerwall plus to the main breaker panel?

I got the impression that the OP is an installer, since they said (bold emphasis mine)

customer doesnot want anythign to back up and wants all the energy to go to the grid to offsets all the time of use rates.

This doesnt make sense to me on a number of levels however. Shrug. Since the OP appears to be an installer, I would suggest you reach out to Tesla through your installer channels and ask.

What? If grid is down (backup scenario) no PV power can go back to Grid. Not understanding the requirement here
no back up scenario here, customer doesot want back up loads s, strange but yes thats what he wants.
So, you want PW just for TOU arbitrage?
yes teh custenr is intrested in TOU arbitrage only, i suppose so because the house is only for air BNB.

no back up scenario here, customer doesot want back up loads s, strange but yes thats what he wants.

yes teh custenr is intrested in TOU arbitrage only, i suppose so because the house is only for air BNB.

Exporting powerwall power to the grid is not allowed by tesla in all circumstances and we dont know what triggers who does and does not get those features in their tesla app. You need to contact tesla as an approved installer and find out if this will be allowed for your customer.

Personally, even for AirBNB, I would encourage having a backup loads situation.

It would be a great selling point of the property, especially if AC (if in a warm climate), heating, fridge/freezer, and lighting can stay running in the event of a power outage.

-Harry

can we install powerwall plus without a back up load?
the soalr pv will be installed with powerwall plus,

if we can do this do we need gatway or we can just land the outputt from powerwall plus to the main breaker panel?
Check your partner portal, there is an app note for that.

My point was that if he does not have any backup loads, then the power to the house will be off when the grid power is off. Why buy an expensive battery for TOU only. Its a complete waste of money

TOU arbitrage does not necessarily mean exporting to grid. Some people just want to charge up battery during off-peak hours from PV and/or grid to offset consumption during peak hours in evening and night with no export. Whether it makes sense financially depends on the electric rates and total cost of home battery.

TOU arbitrage does not necessarily mean exporting to grid. Some people just want to charge up battery during off-peak hours from PV and/or grid to offset consumption during peak hours in evening and night with no export. Whether it makes sense financially depends on the electric rates and total cost of home battery.
Right.. but that implies the house is the backup load.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t have a system where the battery powers the house during peak hours while PV goes to the grid AND not power the house during grid outages … that is without some complicated switching equipment and logic. Doesn’t make any sense to me. The OP wants PV to grid during peak hours and then no load other times? If he wants to arbitrage, the house would be the load during peak hours and when there’s an outage.

In other words if PV is going to the grid during peak hours, what’s powering the house? The battery. So the house is the load off the battery, and in the rare case of an outage, the house is still wired to be the load.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t have a system where the battery powers the house during peak hours while PV goes to the grid AND not power the house during grid outages … that is without some complicated switching equipment and logic. Doesn’t make any sense to me. The OP wants PV to grid during peak hours and then no load other times? If he wants to arbitrage, the house would be the load during peak hours and when there’s an outage.

In other words if PV is going to the grid during peak hours, what’s powering the house? The battery. So the house is the load off the battery, and in the rare case of an outage, the house is still wired to be the load.
totally agreed

Certainly, there is a path to install Powerwall+ without an isolation device like the TEG, or backup switch, though not all installers offer this. The idea is that in the future the customer could install the backup switch and then have home backup if they choose.

Customers who want this should talk to your installer.

Reactions: jjrandorin

It won't power the house during grid outages without a grid isolation device. That would be unsafe.