Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall outside location options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a powerwalll on order so am looking at getting a location ready for it to keep installation costs down (when i eventually get it!).

There is no room for the powerwall in the house and i've no garage, so i have various options for it's location outside. I'm in the uk so the weather is not too extreme, in the winter the worst would be prolonged periods when it was below zero (centigrade) overnight and in the summer prolonged days in the higher 20's to +30C (+86F) not too many of these though :(

I have three options:-
1) On an outside wall at the front of the house under a car port.
The PRO for this: easiest install right next to the house supply and where the inverters and gateway would be located (the supply, inverters and gateway will be inside the house) so short power cable run and low voltage drop, also the car port will provide a bit of protection from the elements.
The CON for this: it would be accessible to the public so for security i would have to put it in some kind of small enclosure, this may help a bit in winter but in summer may push up the temp with less ventilation.

2) On an outside wall at the side of the house.
The PRO for this: No security issues, faily easy install (would require approx 5m cable run along the wall).
The CON for this: No protection from the elements. This may affect powerwall performance

3) In an insulated (but unheated shed in the garden).
The PRO for this: The powerwall would be inside and as the shed is well insulted it should protect the powerwall from spikes in weather extremes (the other morning i checked and it was -3C outside but +1C in the shed).
The CON for this: Most difficult install, i will have to run buried power to the shed approx 20m (i was thinking 6mm SWA), this will also introduce some voltage drop. It may get a bit hotter in the shed than outside in summer heat waves.

At the moment, although it's the most work, i'm looking at the shed. But i'd be interested on anyone's experience of externally installed powerwalls and the effects of weather on them.

Our Powerwalls are installed outdoors, under a porch that's very visible from the street and easy for anyone to access. They are supposed to be fine if exposed directly to the elements, but I think I'd feel nervous about letting snow and ice accumulate on them, or exposing them to heavy, driving rain. Our temperatures are typically in the range of -10C to 30C, and most commonly 0-15C, and this hasn't seemed to cause any issues other than somewhat higher energy loss in the freezing cold. I've never worried about security, but we are in a relatively low crime area.

Mine is on our east facing wall outside, raised about 2 feet due to flooding concerns by my house. I like that it's on my east side since it will get some warmth in the morning and cold batteries don't like to charge. Don't worry too much about exposing it to the elements. Only issue I have outside are spiderwebs covering the fans, but it's not really an issue. We easily hit over 100F in the summer but since it never gets sun afternoon, it's not direct.

Tesla does not do outdoor installations in the Northeast US.... at least that is what I was told by my Tesla install crew. I definitely would NOT want them outside exposed to the elements under any circumstances. independent of the rain and snow, i would also be concerned about ambient outdoor temperature swings. having them in the garage I know they are always clean, dry, and between 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep in mind they are only NEMA 3R rated and there is no way you can expect the batteries to perform optimally in very cold or very hot temps.

I'd personally opt for the car port location given that the PW weighs about 125kg so no one is going to casually pick it up and carry it away. However, I would consider providing some form of wire mesh on steel frame protection bolted to the wall (it would need a padlocked access to the battery's off switch), if only to impede unwanted fiddling with the switch. The weight of the battery will also mean that the installers would prefer a location with easy access.