Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall settings questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am so excited to finally have installed 2 founder’s addition powerwalls, and have a few peculiar concerns.
1. I am using the time based control settings in the Tesla app to control the power walls. I noticed that the power walls will start charging as soon as the time frame hits the shoulder or off-peak hours, and they will charge to 100% at night in my case during the off peak, then sit at this full charge in my case for about 12 hours until they start discharging at around 2pm, per my setting and when the on-demand price hits. Doesn’t sitting at full charge for such a long time degradation the batteries quite a bit faster, just like in EVs?
2. As a possible and temporary solution, I’ve set the batteries to start discharging (switch off grid) at 9 AM instead of 2pm. in order to lessen the time spent at full charge. But in this case the batteries get quite a bit more usage since the house is essentially running off of batteries from 9 AM until 9 PM. Question, which method do you think will prolong the battery life, having deeper discharge cycles while sitting less at full charge, or having shallower discharge cycles and sitting longer at full charge?
3. I don’t have solar yet at this house mostly because my roof is not suitable and even the ground mount is difficult due to the hills, but the self tracking rotating rack system will definitely work. The problem is most of these are considered hi tech and the pricing for just a tracker part is over $10 grand. If anyone knows of a less expensive solution for a self tracking PV system, please share. I am in Denver Colorado area.

Attachments

• E0B46B25-1341-4821-A81C-9A2E57F247A5.jpeg
    E0B46B25-1341-4821-A81C-9A2E57F247A5.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 63