Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls and international fire code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking at (3) Powerwalls in Redmond, WA. The Redmond Fire Department claim they won't allow more than (1) Powerwall indoors (garage) as per Section 1207 of the 2021 International Fire Code, which the energy storage system threshold quantity for lithium-ion batteries is 20 kWh. The Fire department will support 1+ Powerwalls indoors if a NFPA 13 sprinkler system is installed. Otherwise, the install of the Powerwalls must be outdoor, which given our winters is not ideal.

What I'm trying to understand from someone more familiar with international fire code - are these codes intended for residential or commercial use? Thoughts?

I've been looking at (3) Powerwalls in Redmond, WA. The Redmond Fire Department claim they won't allow more than (1) Powerwall indoors (garage) as per Section 1207 of the 2021 International Fire Code, which the energy storage system threshold quantity for lithium-ion batteries is 20 kWh. The Fire department will support 1+ Powerwalls indoors if a NFPA 13 sprinkler system is installed. Otherwise, the install of the Powerwalls must be outdoor, which given our winters is not ideal.

What I'm trying to understand from someone more familiar with international fire code - are these codes intended for residential or commercial use? Thoughts?
1665367725577.png

Then the section 1207.11 is much more reasonable for indoor installations and does provde for up to 80 kWh of storage in a garage with proper smoke/heat detection and fire separation, as well as impact protection as applicable. Tell Richmond (nicely) to keep reading a few pages deeper into the code.

Upvote 0