Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls not charging to 100% when Storm Watch is triggered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Storm Watch happened twice this past winter season (one happening currently) and I noticed in both cases the Powerwalls' SOC maxes out at 99% instead of 100%. On non-StormWatch days the Powerwalls correctly charge to 100% from solar.

Is there a reason for that or just a glitch with the system?
Screenshot_20230313_103056_Tesla~2.jpg

before the last AR there was no storm watch, so i set my reserve to 100%, and the PW charged all the way up on solar energy.

i noticed in the morning that the SOC was down slightly. the PW reported a 3-5 watts exported during each 5 minute period during the night. what's weird is that the SOC levels are sometimes discontinuous, running along at 100% for quite a while with a stepwise drop to like 99% or 98%. but maybe that's what the SOC looks like with such small draw from the battery.

on the other hand, on some nights it's just pegged at 100% all night. so not sure what's going on. but at such a high SOC maybe they just don't attempt to charge from the grid. in the cases where my SOC dropped overnight, it did return to 100% via solar.

This is normal. Mine always only charge to 98-99% even when solar is active. Once storm watch ends the solar will then charge to 100%

Reactions: aesculus
Without Stormwatch I see 100% recently with Stormwatch I see 98%. My GUESS is that they remove/reduce the buffer when in Stormwatch.

Thats what my guess also is, and I also see 98-99% on stormwatch mode as the most it fills to. It certainly seems intentional to me, since I believe it has been mentioned before and multiple different people see it when stormwatch activates.

this behavior has changed with a recent update. i used to see 100% in Storm Watch. Only within the last few months have I observed a 98% cap. I'm tempted to toggle to grid charging to see they come up to 100%. my panels are buried under a foot of snow right now and i'm flabbergasted we haven't lost grid power yet.

this behavior has changed with a recent update. i used to see 100% in Storm Watch. Only within the last few months have I observed a 98% cap. I'm tempted to toggle to grid charging to see they come up to 100%. my panels are buried under a foot of snow right now and i'm flabbergasted we haven't lost grid power yet.
Just turn off storm watch during the day to let your solar charge to 100%. Even with limited sun you will still produce some solar. Then turn storm watch back on

Reactions: aesculus and h2ofun
Without Stormwatch I see 100% recently with Stormwatch I see 98%. My GUESS is that they remove/reduce the buffer when in Stormwatch.
The Wh numbers the API returns for pack energy and current charge do not reflect this. My personal guess is they minimize charging at a high SOC to avoid battery degradation. Doesn't backup-only do something similar? I seem to remember that it also would let the charge float down to 97% before charging again.

With grid charging, really no longer a need for storm watch
In fact unless I don't want to have my PWs discharge during peak with solar, I don't use SW. I like the fact that grid charging takes into account the cost of power where SW prioritizes getting the batteries charged. They both have their sweat spot so I am happy they are both available.