Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF and Ceramic Coating Quotes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In previous quarters you'd be lucky if it was washed at all before handover, mine was filthy upon collection and covered in little bits of some form of protective wrap they used for shipping, complete with sand from the Mojave.

Usually I'd say not to be concerned, but some of the pictures I've seen from the last few days do look like Tesla have made an effort to prep the cars before handover.

Your detailer may well be assuming the new show room shine of a new BMW/Merc/Audi will also apply to the Tesla, which isn't going to happen when there are 500 of them in a car park, all going out that week. I don't think he should have anything to worry about, and ultimately as part of the paint correction they should have the kit to strip the polish back if necessary.

My preference would be to collect a clean car, that way you can see clearer and report any issues with the paintwork that are beyond what a detailer would be able to correct.

This makes a lot of sense! Thank you so much @Medved_77

Decided to go with one of the quotes for the PPF!

Make sure that the PPF quote is for wrapped at the edges of the panels when possible - there may be a price difference. This ensures that the leading edges of the panels most needing protection (around wheels, sills, lower doors etc) are properly protected.

If going for XPEL, also make sure they are on this list XPEL Clear Bra Installers | United Kingdom. That way you get an installer who has been doing it for years (our had 25 years experience) rather than straight out of the training room, as our first installer was. Other manufacturers will have their own approved installers.

• Love
Reactions: Mm2021
Make sure that the PPF quote is for wrapped at the edges of the panels when possible - there may be a price difference. This ensures that the leading edges of the panels most needing protection (around wheels, sills, lower doors etc) are properly protected.

If going for XPEL, also make sure they are on this list XPEL Clear Bra Installers | United Kingdom. That way you get an installer who has been doing it for years (our had 25 years experience) rather than straight out of the training room, as our first installer was. Other manufacturers will have their own approved installers.
Awesome advice- will check about the edges being wrapped. I believe they’re are on the Xpel official list but not sure about the edges.

@VanillaAir_UK I’ve been told the following:

“Any edge that isn’t adjacent to another panel will be wrapped, so for example where the front wing meets the front bumper will not be wrapped-but the wing area into the bonnet area will be”

In your experience would this be sufficient do you think?

@VanillaAir_UK I’ve been told the following:

“Any edge that isn’t adjacent to another panel will be wrapped, so for example where the front wing meets the front bumper will not be wrapped-but the wing area into the bonnet area will be”

In your experience would this be sufficient do you think?

That's what I have. XPEL certified installer. It's been fine for me so far (1.5yrs?). I was initially disappointed but you can't actually see the edges unless you're looking closely. Most edges are nicely wrapped, it's only here and there where there's a visible edge. In terms of protection it's been more than enough, no scratches or chips. I did have a massive hit to the bonnet, didn't reach the paint but it looked pretty deep and the plastic was pretty damaged and rippled backward. A few months later I can't even see where the hit was :| Really thought it would be a permanent mark, too much to self-heal. Without the coverage it would have been a gouge in the paint rather than just a chip. Normal stone hits just leave a minor mark that disappears pretty quickly. For edges, darker colours work better. On grey it's basically invisible, but on white it's more visible. Time will tell, I need to wait for it to bed in and get a few washes done to see if the edges pick up any dirt.

The alternative is all edges are folded behind. This is only possible if you remove parts which is both a lot more expensive and can introduce rattles. Also a small risk of paint damage from custom cuts with a knife right next to the paintwork. If you want that coverage I think you'll need to find someone with a lot of years experience and a solid reputation.

I would highly recommend ceramic on top. I know, sounds weird given the PPF is meant to do everything. But I've had PPF without ceramic (briefly) and with. With looks shinier, it's easier to wash, and the edges don't pick up any stubborn dirt.

Reactions: Yachtsman
That's what I have. XPEL certified installer. It's been fine for me so far (1.5yrs?). I was initially disappointed but you can't actually see the edges unless you're looking closely. Most edges are nicely wrapped, it's only here and there where there's a visible edge. In terms of protection it's been more than enough, no scratches or chips. I did have a massive hit to the bonnet, didn't reach the paint but it looked pretty deep and the plastic was pretty damaged and rippled backward. A few months later I can't even see where the hit was :| Really thought it would be a permanent mark, too much to self-heal. Without the coverage it would have been a gouge in the paint rather than just a chip. Normal stone hits just leave a minor mark that disappears pretty quickly. For edges, darker colours work better. On grey it's basically invisible, but on white it's more visible. Time will tell, I need to wait for it to bed in and get a few washes done to see if the edges pick up any dirt.

The alternative is all edges are folded behind. This is only possible if you remove parts which is both a lot more expensive and can introduce rattles. Also a small risk of paint damage from custom cuts with a knife right next to the paintwork. If you want that coverage I think you'll need to find someone with a lot of years experience and a solid reputation.

I would highly recommend ceramic on top. I know, sounds weird given the PPF is meant to do everything. But I've had PPF without ceramic (briefly) and with. With looks shinier, it's easier to wash, and the edges don't pick up any stubborn dirt.
Thank you so much for such a superb summary. This has answered all my major questions. Sounds like the PPF has done a stellar job! Will definitely get the ceramic coating as well.

Reactions: Yachtsman
I'd arranged for a mobile detailer to call last week, after I collected my blue M3 ER AWD, but the weather was terrible. So he came today to wash the car, snow foam it, check to see if there were any paint imperfections that needed further attention (there were not!!) and then apply "Wax is Dead" ceramic coating.

It took him 5 hours and the result is stunning....

Ceramic Protection_s.jpg
The cost? £250.00 which I thought was great value. He even did the wheels!

The more I look at the car the more I like it, it is really a 4 door coupe in the style of an Audi A6...but a lot more elegant! Metallic blue with the blacked out trim are a perfect match.