Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF, Ceramic and Tint in South SF Bay Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I've been going through a lot of threads on this forum in the last couple weeks, and finally my very first post! Before placing an order for the model 3, I've been researching on PPF, Ceramic and tinting, and now I finally ordered one, and I got a quote from a shop in South San Francisco which I'm feel like that the price doesn't sound quite reasonable, but I'm not 100% sure as there're too much info so far on the forum, which I am quite lost already... haha

Anyways, just want to bring this quote up and see what you guys think:

PPF - Suntek Ultra - 10-year warranty
Full front - $1,900
Full car - $5,000

Ceramic coating
Ceramic pro 2 years - $1,000
IGL Kenzo 4 years - $1,400

Window Tint - Suntek
all windows except windshield, one piece back window - $500​

From my understanding after going through a lot of threads here, PPF full front/car are toward the higher end; ceramic is somewhat reasonable but warranty is shorter than average? And the window tint sounds like a deal comparing to what I saw from previous threads.

Hope to get some advises from you all!

Welcome to TMC!

I've had two Model 3s get front end PPF and window tint. I agree with your assessment on pricing. On the first, I paid $1,500 for full front PPF Suntek Ultra. He even added in door edges and trunk access area. My understanding is he has increased the price to $1,600 recently. I paid $550 for Suntek CTX ceramic window tint. I went to two separate shops, both in San Carlos.

On our second Model 3, I went with a group buy with a shop in Los Gatos that did both PPF and window tint. I believe it was $1,900 for both. I saved a few bucks and the location and bundled service were convenient, but the quality was below par. I would not go there again.

I can't help you with ceramic coating cost as I did it myself.

Welcome to TMC!

I've had two Model 3s get front end PPF and window tint. I agree with your assessment on pricing. On the first, I paid $1,500 for full front PPF Suntek Ultra. He even added in door edges and trunk access area. My understanding is he has increased the price to $1,600 recently. I paid $550 for Suntek CTX ceramic window tint. I went to two separate shops, both in San Carlos.

On our second Model 3, I went with a group buy with a shop in Los Gatos that did both PPF and window tint. I believe it was $1,900 for both. I saved a few bucks and the location and bundled service were convenient, but the quality was below par. I would not go there again.

Can you share the shops you used in San Carlos? I am local and would like to check them out.

Welcome to TMC!

Thanks for the info! I'll probably check with Invisguard for the PPF cost and make some comparison :)

By the way, the shop at SSF said the warranty of the tinted film is lifetime but labor for both PPF and tint are only 1 year or 12,000 miles, and the turnaround time to do all PPF, ceramic coating and tint will be 4-8 days depending on whether I wanna go with full front or whole car on PPF. Does it sound about right?

Here is another data point for you.

I got full front end PPF for $1800. The shop uses XPel Ultimate Plus which has a 10 year warranty. I think for PPF, installer experience plays a vital role in the cost. And make sure you ask if they use pre-cut film or custom cut, or a combination of the two.

As for ceramic coating, I got Ceramic Pro Silver for $850, and it has a 5 years warranty. What some shops might not tell you is, in order for Ceramic Pro to honor the warranty, you need to have the shop check the ceramic pro annually, which is an additional cost. At least that is what the shop I went to told me. You can think of it as an annual checkup for your coating.

And depending on your paint condition, shops would often suggests paint correction, which is on top of the cost of getting ceramic coating obviously.

Hope this helps.

I got full front end PPF for $1800. The shop uses XPel Ultimate Plus which has a 10 year warranty. I think for PPF, installer experience plays a vital role in the cost. And make sure you ask if they use pre-cut film or custom cut, or a combination of the two.

As for ceramic coating, I got Ceramic Pro Silver for $850, and it has a 5 years warranty. What some shops might not tell you is, in order for Ceramic Pro to honor the warranty, you need to have the shop check the ceramic pro annually, which is an additional cost. At least that is what the shop I went to told me. You can think of it as an annual checkup for your coating.

And depending on your paint condition, shops would often suggests paint correction, which is on top of the cost of getting ceramic coating obviously.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input! Would you mind letting me know where the shop you went is and how long ago did you get that done? I heard that Xpel Ultimate Plus is more expensive than Suntek, and labor supposed to cost relatively more due to the difficulty to apply the film, so assuming the shop has great reputation on getting PPF and ceramic coating done, I feel like I should check out yours more than sticking with the SSF one.....

Thanks for the input! Would you mind letting me know where the shop you went is and how long ago did you get that done? I heard that Xpel Ultimate Plus is more expensive than Suntek, and labor supposed to cost relatively more due to the difficulty to apply the film, so assuming the shop has great reputation on getting PPF and ceramic coating done, I feel like I should check out yours more than sticking with the SSF one.....

Sure, I got PPF and ceramic pro done at Elite Auto Films in San Jose back in December 2018. It took roughly one week for them to do both.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for choosing XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS! Goshen at Elite Auto Films does excellent work.

To show our gratitude, we would love to send you a free bottle of our new Ceramic Boost Spray. XPEL Ceramic Boost helps protect your film and paint by sealing the surface with a micro-thin layer of protection to help resist debris, contaminates and scratches, while repelling dust and lint. This is your replacement for waxes or sealants. It can be used on the film, ceramic coatings, and even glass. If you're interested, email us directly at [email protected] with your T-Shirt size and shipping information so we can get the order on the way to you.
R1390_Small.jpg

Hi All,

I've been going through a lot of threads on this forum in the last couple weeks, and finally my very first post! Before placing an order for the model 3, I've been researching on PPF, Ceramic and tinting, and now I finally ordered one, and I got a quote from a shop in South San Francisco which I'm feel like that the price doesn't sound quite reasonable, but I'm not 100% sure as there're too much info so far on the forum, which I am quite lost already... haha

Anyways, just want to bring this quote up and see what you guys think:

PPF - Suntek Ultra - 10-year warranty
Full front - $1,900
Full car - $5,000

Ceramic coating
Ceramic pro 2 years - $1,000
IGL Kenzo 4 years - $1,400

Window Tint - Suntek
all windows except windshield, one piece back window - $500​

From my understanding after going through a lot of threads here, PPF full front/car are toward the higher end; ceramic is somewhat reasonable but warranty is shorter than average? And the window tint sounds like a deal comparing to what I saw from previous threads.

Hope to get some advises from you all!

Welcome to the forum! You're on the right track for doing all of this research early.

Your pricing on PPF looks pretty fair, we normally say that full fronts range from $1,895 - $2,195 and full car between $5,000 - $8,500. *Varies based on labor rates, STEALTH versus ULTIMATE PLUS, and installer experience.*

For Ceramic Coating, I'm happy to announce that we just released our very own ceramic coating called FUSION PLUS, a week and a half ago. Check out the video below for more details.
Pricing on Ceramic Coating looks pretty fair as well. Our FUSION PLUS is backed by a 4 Year Warranty.

For the window tint, check out our PRIME XR PLUS Window Tint. It's a leading film in the industry that blocks up to 98% of infrared heat (the heat you can feel) and 99.9% of UVA and UVB cancer causing rays. It's backed by a lifetime transferable warranty as well.

We have quite a few installers in your area - XPEL Installers In Cali. Finding an installer you're comfortable with is extremely important. If you can, go to their shops in person and ask to see samples of their work. Not only will this let you gauge their workmanship, but also their customer support.

Hope this info helps! Happy hunting!

Reactions: AutoArmour