Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or no PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on the fence about installing PPF. I’m sure owners that decide to pay for PPF are happy with that decision and are glad the did it it. For those MS owners that decided against PPF, have you regretted that decision?

I got frontal PPF (up to fenders/mirrors) but regret not doing the whole thing. Also if I did the whole thing, I probably would have gotten the satin to make the car matte.

Don't think of it as an investment as the next buyer likely won't notice the little chips, but evaluate the decision based on how much sanity you'll lose without it. If you are super picky about the car like me, any tiny ding/scratch will bother you. If you don't care about little scratches and chips, don't bother.

Last edited:
I got mine full PPF but it was probably a dumb move. The paint I was protecting is crap anyway. Just enjoy the car and get a full respray. Maybe do the front for your sanity. Depends how long you want to keep your car. I mean it is nice just being able to wipe off dirt from the PPF with a rag and not care too much b/c it's only PPF.......

Reactions: jc368
I got mine full PPF but it was probably a dumb move. The paint I was protecting is crap anyway. Just enjoy the car and get a full respray. Maybe do the front for your sanity. Depends how long you want to keep your car. I mean it is nice just being able to wipe off dirt from the PPF with a rag and not care too much b/c it's only PPF.......
100000% percent agree that the paint / clear coat on the Tesla is horrible (at least in terms of ability to withstand wear and tear) - any small impact and the paint will pick up at least a clearcoat blemish.

Had a E class mercedes before, and the paint was much more solid.

Reactions: oktane
Thank you for all the inputs. Full PPF would set me back $6k. I am planning to keep the car a long time and we do drive from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin at least once a year. We also are snowbirds so we drive back and forth from Pennsylvania to Florida a few times a year.

I plan to get my S fully wrapped when it comes in and the reason is that I completely regret NOT getting it on my previous vehicle.

It is not a Tesla but has similar wide tires. I had the rocker panels wrapped only and it is amazing how much better those look than the metal panels above them. Seeing how well the wrapped areas held up versus areas around them that were likely hit even less, made me a full believer.

I could definitely see not going for the whole vehicle, but I would suggest at least the front bumper and lower rockers down the sides.

Reactions: ExpatPR
I didnt do it on my 2013 S and regretted it alot. I kept it almost 9 years. So I wrapped the plaid. always looks shiny takes far less to clean and most PPF vendors will give you lifetime guarantee on the work so will fix if it gets torn or damaged.

If you can afford it and plan on potentially keeping the car for a long time it is worth it IMO

I take delivery of my Model S LR next Tuesday and am driving it straight to a shop for full body PPF and window/windshield tint. It'll probably be a while before I can form an opinion on whether it was worth $5K for the full PPF or not, but will update once I have an opinion. I am one of those people who little rock chips and dings drive me crazy, though.

Reactions: ExpatPR
I didnt do it on my 2013 S and regretted it alot. I kept it almost 9 years. So I wrapped the plaid. always looks shiny takes far less to clean and most PPF vendors will give you lifetime guarantee on the work so will fix if it gets torn or damaged.

If you can afford it and plan on potentially keeping the car for a long time it is worth it IMO
Thank you. That helps a lot. My plan is also to keep long term. I still would not do it for $10k but for $6k it is very tempting. Especially since we do a lot of long distance highway driving. They guy I talked to said as a new customer he would do it for $5,800. I think for that price I will drive it straight to him when I pick it up.

Thank you. That helps a lot. My plan is also to keep long term. I still would not do it for $10k but for $6k it is very tempting. Especially since we do a lot of long distance highway driving. They guy I talked to said as a new customer he would do it for $5,800. I think for that price I will drive it straight to him when I pick it up.
thats a good price. Make sure its the SunTek self healing one! Make sure they give you warranty and that they have no problems re-wrapping any section if you notice any mistakes.

Reactions: cmarshack
I got the fronts and full for the hood only.

I consider rock chip battle scars and is part of wear and tear. I understand you want to preserve you vehicle like it was delivered to you.

Drive drives me insane. I always park my car farthest away form supermarkets, Costco, malls.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I did the whole car in Suntek Reaction which has ceramic coating built in for $4,800. The Suntek Ultra would have been $4,000. The extra $800 was worth it to me since just for ease of cleaning and now I don’t have to get ceramic coating on top of the PPF like some people do.

You may want to shop around for better pricing.

I picked up my 2022 Model 3 Performance and took it straight to a PPF shop. Now I am seeing this seam-line now that it’s collecting some dirt on the right side. The left side is perfect. The person who did the job told me it’s normal but I don’t know. Regretting spending the cash on the job as it look better without the ppf at this rate.

Attachments

• 1E75D55C-10E8-45AB-9E3E-5286B0A88B6A.jpeg
    1E75D55C-10E8-45AB-9E3E-5286B0A88B6A.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 755
Reactions: VegasMYP
Full car for $3.4K. Overall good job but this has been bothering me. You think it’s worth getting fixed? He can only refund me $400 but I can pay extra to have another shop do it.

Haven’t had the car long enough to enjoy benefit of PPF yet but sure do see the down sides.