Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF or no PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any opinions on value of competition package
My opinion: the "competition package" naming is marketing jiberish. The price for just that part is way too much. 8mil is standard PPF thickness, maybe they're putting on 10mil in those areas. I know a little bit about PPF, I did my whole car 2022 MSLR myself.... including rocker panels, head and fog lights. I also put extra pieces on top of the film in front of the rear wheels. DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S
EDIT: maybe im not understandind the price breakdown. Is the comp part just the high wear areas on the sides? If, so then that price is way too high. But if it includes the front its a good price. The hood and front bumper are the hardest to do and receive most of the rocks (parts in front of the rear wheels also receive a lot of rocks). You could have them do the front then you could easily buy precut PPF for in front of the rear wheels. The same for A pillars. Buy an extra precut for practice. Bottom line, if you got the bucks but don't have the time, get front and competition. You'll be very happy once you see it doing its job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayer
I picked up my 2023 MSLR 6/27, and it is scheduled for PPF “Competition Package,” tint, and full ceramic day after tomorrow.

Here is installers PPF pricing:

“$2100 Full Front
$3300 Competition Package
$6800 Full Car

Competition package adds a pillars, headlights, side rockers , rock guards and a section in front and behind the rear tires and bumper. You could then step up the coating to a higher silica dioxide content for the unwrapped areas. Full cars are so expensive due to the time/labor hours to do them.”

Three Questions:

Any opinions on value of competition package over front only (I see MS comes with some thick/ugly PPF on rear fenders);

Any opinions on PPF on windsheild … or Glass Protector Film, as suggested above by bkcyk; and,

Does anyone remove the OEM PPF in the rear fenders prior to applying aftermarket PPF? [bkcyk: yes, no question]

Here is photo of OEM PPF on fender:

I'm a hard pass on ceramic coatings especially when my brand new factory paint is covered by PPF <200 miles from pick up. I know for a fact from a buddy's experience - who fully regrets not PPF'ing it from go - that the MSP rear doors and quarter panels get peppered with debris/chips. Not a good look esp on black paint!

I'm skipping the rear bumper and hatch simply because I can live with it. I also don't want any John removing the carbon lip spoiler to then reapply with who knows what adhesive. It's just one more thing to mess up in the hands of other people.

Here in LA, my total bill comes out to $6100 by a trusted shop that I've used for multiple new vehicles purchased over as many years. Clearplex needs to be installed in the hands of an experienced installer.

Gl!

Wow $6100 usd. In Canada, it’s around $4800 cnd (3700 usd) for full body ppf expel ultimate from a reputable install dealer. Probably the one advantage Canadians have lol 😂

Given the cost of the material is same, is this a labour gouging thing? Ie. $2000/day plus material? Seems steep. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: zoomer0056
My opinion: the "competition package" naming is marketing jiberish. The price for just that part is way too much. 8mil is standard PPF thickness, maybe they're putting on 10mil in those areas. I know a little bit about PPF, I did my whole car 2022 MSLR myself.... including rocker panels, head and fog lights. I also put extra pieces on top of the film in front of the rear wheels. DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S
EDIT: maybe im not understandind the price breakdown. Is the comp part just the high wear areas on the sides? If, so then that price is way too high. But if it includes the front its a good price. The hood and front bumper are the hardest to do and receive most of the rocks (parts in front of the rear wheels also receive a lot of rocks). You could have them do the front then you could easily buy precut PPF for in front of the rear wheels. The same for A pillars. Buy an extra precut for practice. Bottom line, if you got the bucks but don't have the time, get front and competition. You'll be very happy once you see it doing its job.
Yes, the competition package is high risk areas, including front end, so about $1,200 more than front alone.
Thank you for reply.
I’ll just fork out extra $1,200 for peace of mind.

Reactions: zoomer0056
interesting, i would have done a post question, would be great to see the results
I have two Ts, one keeper and one not
for the keeper, ppf on front and side, rockers, and rear edge
for the non keeper, just the rockers and rear edge (cheap protection) will turn into a M2 once available

Ceramic Coating. Do it yourself.

My local PPF Pro does the front up to the end of the front doors (and mirrors) with a PPF with ceramic as its top layer (DYNOSHEILD) all for $1750
He also did the blackout on the top which tones down the excess red and makes it pop. IMHO

I have the same config on my 2022 MYP Pix 2,3,4, and 5 Also had him do the duckbill delete.

Add Chemical Guys MIRROR and no shine can beat it.

Windshield. Matter of choice. To me, it's overkill, like putting protective film on your eyeglasses.

Attachments

• 2021 PPF Dynoshield and WET.jpg
    2021 PPF Dynoshield and WET.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220622_094415.jpg
    20220622_094415.jpg
    831 KB · Views: 38
  • PPF Front minus duck bill. jpg.jpg
    PPF Front minus duck bill. jpg.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220622_094346.jpg
    20220622_094346.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Mud Flap on all Paws.jpg
    Mud Flap on all Paws.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 40
Blackout of non black vehicles is catching on
I have two black Ts therefore does not apply to me

Looks great, I would do

Interesting, think the PPF/colored vendors might think white or other color for the “OUT” look for other color mixes
I might be in the market for that with my black Ts
I would try whiteout first

Fun stuff