Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF Relief Cuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feel free to comment on the PPF job I had done, this is my first so I don't know if it is good / bad etc. The point of this thread is to make others aware of the difficult areas to PPF on the model 3. So when your shopping for PPF you can look at how shops are handling these areas, like corners, panels that are very close together. Non flat surfaces like Mirrors and the lower bumper.

I have seen videos calming reliefs are not needed on the bumper when doing a custom cut, so I was bummed to see them on mine.

FromADistance.jpg
FrunkCorners.jpg LowerBumperInsideRelief.jpg LowerBumperOuterRelief.jpg MirrorReliefCut.jpg

Attachments

• MirrorReliefCutFlaw.jpg
    MirrorReliefCutFlaw.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 361
  • MoreCorners.jpg
    MoreCorners.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 366
  • PanelsTouching.jpg
    PanelsTouching.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 381
  • PPFCorners.jpg
    PPFCorners.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 324
That looks pretty good. The mirror maybe could stand a redo.

Remember, PPF is not paint. It's temporary, 3-5 years it needs to be replaced. I think heroics to hide every possible seam and avoid any sign of the film is going to make the job too expensive for a consumable item.
Ok I thought it looked pretty good except the one mirror. I will ask if he can fix it. I wanted to be sure this was a reasonably good job since we are planning to have another vehicle done there this weekend :)
Other PPF jobs I saw had some relief cuts in the bumper area as well, but videos on youtube suggest that they are not required when getting a one piece custom cut, but I have yet to see a video detailing relief cuts.

I was hoping for longer than 5 years. Warranty says "XPEL warrants XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS™ / STEALTH™ Paint Protection Film to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for ten (10) years from the date of purchase. Covered defects include: yellowing, staining, cracking, blistering and delaminating. This warranty does not extend coverage to damage caused by normal wear and tear, road debris impact, accidents, collisions or intentional damage of any kind."

Some of those look like the digital cuts for the bumper. The cuts that mine does have looks way better than they did on my CTR. I forgot to confirm if mine was full mirror and I think the kit only does the front portion of the mirror. I'm okay with that though because my CTR had some custom panels and alot of them built up dirt / dust around the bends.

Some of those look like the digital cuts for the bumper. The cuts that mine does have looks way better than they did on my CTR. I forgot to confirm if mine was full mirror and I think the kit only does the front portion of the mirror. I'm okay with that though because my CTR had some custom panels and alot of them built up dirt / dust around the bends.
They were all custom cuts, no plotter at the shop :)

The only downside to custom cuts is that they can potentially cut the paint when trimming the PPF but usually you wouldn't see it because if they edge wrap it then it wouldn't be seen or would be obscured by the PPF itself.

The only downside to custom cuts is that they can potentially cut the paint when trimming the PPF but usually you wouldn't see it because if they edge wrap it then it wouldn't be seen or would be obscured by the PPF itself.
I asked shops about that, they said they can easily cut PPF without cutting the paint. That's how they make their money, but it does require more skill.

If you think about it, even if they use an over-sized plotter they will be cutting PPF.

If I understand correctly, you want to remove PPF well before 10 years because the adhesive can superbond and damage the paint when you try to remove it after it has been there for too long.

But my point is its temporary, so if it looks pretty good from a reasonable distance and doesn't collect dirt in seams or peel up on edges, that's good enough.

I've seen shops disassemble the entire car to put PPF on as if it's going into a paint booth or something, and to me that seems extravagant with regard to labor cost.

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
@Glamisduner posted photos on another thread of my Model 3 that had PPF just done on it--you asked about the side mirrors and bumper relief area. Here's the link: My 1st accident in 10 years
I can't see the relief cuts in your photos? Surely the bumper has some, or else maybe it was done in two pieces? (another place told me they have to use two pieces for stealth because the reliefs would stand out).
I believe mine was also the ultimate plus. It is slightly shinier than the rest of the unprotected car (will be applying ceramic soon after the paint cures a bit where tesla had to repaint).

The bumper can be done in one piece without relief cuts. My personal opinion is who cares. If you don't have them then awesome your installer is great. If you do have them you're the only one that will ever know, much less care. Wait for a few Rock chips or scratches then have it redone without seams. You're probably unlikely to get a good seamless result from a shop that isn't doing them in the first place by forcing them to try.

I can't see the relief cuts in your photos? Surely the bumper has some, or else maybe it was done in two pieces? (another place told me they have to use two pieces for stealth because the reliefs would stand out).
I believe mine was also the ultimate plus. It is slightly shinier than the rest of the unprotected car (will be applying ceramic soon after the paint cures a bit where tesla had to repaint).

My mirrors were both done with 1 piece and no relief cuts at all. IMO your mirrors are poorly done and need redoing.

B39F9491-793F-4E97-A045-82C1BBE7B4E3.jpeg

1CE52DF0-7D7F-4106-84D6-4FDA5C3AF8CC.jpeg

EC4F7A42-5E7E-4858-A73B-F2731AC79E83.jpeg

Attachments

• A7BD5CC4-1281-4187-9AB8-721871B4B8BB.jpeg
    A7BD5CC4-1281-4187-9AB8-721871B4B8BB.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

I went out later today in better light and looked over the areas again. Couldn't feel any seam on the mirror so would have been done as one piece. The bumper area doesn't look to have relief cuts but does, just well hidden I guess. On the photo above I could feel one at the base a little bit from the bottom edge. If you zoom into my photo, turn up your device brightness and look closely you can barely see it. I also checked the other recessed bumper area and there is a relief cut there too. Not really noticeable but with my finger I found it. Here's a photo of it on one of the sides.

IMG_9739.JPG

I can't see looking at the contour of the bumper pieces how you could fit one piece on and fit it smoothly all over. Anyway very happy with my car and we have to take it in later in the week for a check and they'll adjust anything at that time. Feel very relieved to have it PPF'd now for when the car is driven on the highways out here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glamisduner
I went out later today in better light and looked over the areas again. Couldn't feel any seam on the mirror so would have been done as one piece. The bumper area doesn't look to have relief cuts but does, just well hidden I guess. On the photo above I could feel one at the base a little bit from the bottom edge. If you zoom into my photo, turn up your device brightness and look closely you can barely see it. I also checked the other recessed bumper area and there is a relief cut there too. Not really noticeable but with my finger I found it. Here's a photo of it on one of the sides.

I can't see looking at the contour of the bumper pieces how you could fit one piece on and fit it smoothly all over. Anyway very happy with my car and we have to take it in later in the week for a check and they'll adjust anything at that time. Feel very relieved to have it PPF'd now for when the car is driven on the highways out here.
That's impressive on your mirrors. A few places now have told me the mirrors require relief cuts or two piece install so you must have a very good installer. Must have required quite a bit of stretching?

Yea, I just found various reliefs interesting, I'm happy with the work I have had done other than the one mirror and some particles that made it under the frunk piece during the install. They are noticeable at night with my garage lighting but not so much in the daytime unless your looking for them. The place said they will re-do the one mirror with the more obvious relief cut and will make an appointment for me to go over the rest of the car as well, I'll point out the particles but not too worried about them.

My Xpel doesn't have anything like that in it. Is your installer on Xpel's list?
Anything like what? no relief cuts? Have a picture?! Who is your installer? Was it an expensive install? My Installer is not on Xpels list I didn't even know there was one. I also noticed Monumental Worx isn't on their but they certainly do allot of PPF installs on teslas. Do they need to be on that list to get the warranty?

Not to change the subject, but your body panel gaps look pretty good. Especially after all the complaining on the forums about that being a big issue.
Indeed they finally got everything lined up correctly, it did take requesting a buy-back for them to adjust the trunk and taillights properly (trunk was not aligned right, then when they fixed the spacing they messed up the alignment with the tailight and told me it's to spec. Once I requested a buy back they were suddenly more willing to fix the issue (it was on my due bill after all).

I did notice my bumper is a slightly different color from the rest of the car. I was told they only touched up the paint and didn't repaint the entire thing (I hope so or I would not have had the xpel installed on it yet!) I wonder if that is just how they are?

I talked to my tint shop Monumental Worx, and they said the PPF install looked good to them. They said when they do Xpel Stealth they have to do the bumper in two pieces but they get the seam so close it's very hard to see. This is because with stealth you can't get away with relief cuts, and it's better to have 2 pieces and a seam (but it's real hard to see).

Just had my wifes new car done (Volvo XC60 T6) and her's has relief cuts on the mirrors too but they are less obvious.

Last edited: