Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF vs Ceramic coating - help a noob out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm certified in vinyl wrapping and PPF installation. I service the all over the valley. I also offer window tint, offer paint correction and ceramic coatings. 10 year warranty on PPF, and I offer 5 and 10 year protection with 9h coatings. I cant offer great discounted package deals! Call me anytime or shoot me a message! 719 360 7391

Reactions: XLR82XS
I have posted these videos on other threads, but they really show you exactly what PPF and ceramic coatings are all about. PPF is actually self-healing. If the paint gets scratched, after 20 minutes in the sun's heat, the scratches disappear.

So I would personally first get as much PPF on the car as I could afford. On my P3D, I did a full-car PPF with no ceramic coating. I use a ceramic-infused spray coating every 3 months instead. Maybe one day I will do an actual ceramic coating. But for now, I am happy with my ceramic spray routine.

• Love
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Ceramic works like a kid permanent wax or paint sealant. ppf protects the paint. I did partial ppf and then diy ceramic over everything.

PPF isn't permanent though, it collects done dirt over time, ceramic does not really have any downsides, except that if you get some scratches or have to polish the car you will be removing the ceramic.

DIY ceramic is easier than ppf imo. I did some of both myself, need a really clean garage to do ppf, and some experience to get it perfect the first try. Custom cut ppf is another level...

Last edited:
Go to a shop for ppf and the ceramic coating diy.
I couldn't agree more. I had the Xpel clear bra including lights installed professionally for$580, then watched a few tutorials from Adams polishes. Ceramic coating and the boost was about $100. Even if you have to buy a random orbit polisher, it's a few Benji's and one afternoon. I think I saved a few G's DIY.
Even if you use another product, the tutorials show you each step for a professional looking job. I never used it before and I did this to my 3 IMG_20190820_111536788.jpg IMG_20190820_111559284_HDR.jpg
Good luck with your 3 and explore the possibility

Fwiw- Joebruin77 is one of the main reasons I tried ceramics and why it came out so nice. Didn't quite use the exact products, but he helped me researching and with some gentle prodding. It's about as labor intensive as a polish and wax job, just add some curing time.
Have fun!:)

PPF and coatings work well together. PPF provides the protection you're looking for with true self-healing qualities. A ceramic coating helps add depth/gloss and makes cleaning much easier. We've tested multiple lines of coatings with our PPF in our lab and have found the coatings to extend the life of PPF beyond our 10 year warranty. Hope that helps!

PPF isn't permanent though, it collects done dirt over time
Maybe XPEL because, up until recently, it didn’t have hydrophobic properties like Suntek Ultra
Then you can have ceramic coating on top of the PPF, like Gtechniq Halo which is purpose made for PPF
The recommendation from the installer is to reapply every 2 years
Maintenance doesn’t get much easier

• Disagree
I had the same dilemma but settled on buying my own ceramic product and having a detail shop apply it for me about a week ago. So far so good, and my black M3 shines so niiiiiceeeeee. I insisted on bringing my own product since i put so much work into researching brands, but so far so good and I love it. The nano ceramic coating I got says it lasts 2-5 years depending on prep and aftercare. I've noticed that the dust and junk in the air from the beach hasn't "stuck" to my car as much. I can't say much for liquids since socal doesn't get much rain. I used Armor Shield IX DIY Kit

I had my white car professionally coated with Flightshield Sapphire V1 ceramic coating. I park the car outside 100% of the time. My wife gets the garage 100% of the time for her Model 3. LOL.

There is Japanese timber bamboo nearby where I park in a gated area.

Every morning, I wipe the hood with detail spray in an attempt to remove dew drops that contain sap from the Japanese timber bamboo.

I was hoping the ceramic coating would enable the sap to be easier removed. Ideally, the sap wouldn't adhere at all.

The sap can be nearly impossible to remove, and eventually leaves small dark ring spots.

Sadly, the ceramic coating has been completely ineffective. The detailer who applied the coating inspected the car when I said the coating wasn't working as expected, and he said the coating was only guaranteed not to allow penetrating the clear coat and etching the paint. It wasn't guaranteed to prevent sap from adhering to the car's clear coat.

Suffice to say, for us the Flightshield Sapphire V1 was a complete waste of money.

Last edited:
Maybe XPEL because, up until recently, it didn’t have hydrophobic properties like Suntek Ultra
Then you can have ceramic coating on top of the PPF, like Gtechniq Halo which is purpose made for PPF
The recommendation from the installer is to reapply every 2 years
Maintenance doesn’t get much easier
I can see my xpel ultimate collecting some dirt at the edges after less than a year, i ceramic coat mine but I don't think it's going to last 10 years before I want to remove it. Sure warranty is 10 but i don't expect it to last that long.

I did suntek kit too, so it's not xpel specific

I had my white car professionally coated with Flightshield Sapphire V1 ceramic coating. I park the car outside 100% of the time. My wife gets the garage 100% of the time for her Model 3. LOL.

There is Japanese timber bamboo nearby where I park in a gated area.

Every morning, I wipe the hood with detail spray in an attempt to remove dew drops that contain sap from nearby Japanese timber bamboo.

I was hoping the ceramic coating would enable the sap to be easier removed. Ideally, the sap wouldn't adhere at all.

The sap can be nearly impossible to remove, and eventually leaves small dark ring spots.

Sadly, the ceramic coating has been completely ineffective. The detailer who applied the coating inspected the car when I said the coating wasn't working as expected, and he said the coating was only guaranteed not to allow penetrating the clear coat and etching the paint. It wasn't guaranteed to prevent sap from adhering to the car's clear coat.

Suffice to say, for us the Flightshield Sapphire V1 was a complete waste of money.
Thanks for sharing your personal experience & sorry to hear the downside.
However, it does justify the purpose of paint protection film, particularly with ceramic coating applied on top

I can see my xpel ultimate collecting some dirt at the edges after less than a year, i ceramic coat mine but I don't think it's going to last 10 years before I want to remove it. Sure warranty is 10 but i don't expect it to last that long.
Interesting to know.
Sort of justifies those PPF installers who go the extra mile & remove the side mirrors, chrome window sill trim, taillights, etc to hide the seam lines of the PPF

I had front bumper, headlights and side mirrors installed with Xpel PPF on my white model 3 which has over 20k miles now. I also did apply cquartz on myself which was pretty easy since I was happy with the condition and didnt feel the need to do the full paint prep and its held up just fine. I personally think its a waste and didn't bother getting PPF put on my white P100D X. White doesn't show rock chips easily and I realized the PPF can actually show more imperfections from rips and stains which looks worse to me than regular paint wear and tear. Maybe if I had a different color I would think differently, but I take good care of my cars and by the time rock chips and other paint defects get bad its at the point the car is old and needs to be replaced. To each their own though.

Reactions: TJ73 and tvad