Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-heating of seats, steering wheel, etc now available!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It shouldn't as most, if not all, seat heaters have a thermostat to maintain a specific, or maximum, temperature.
Never noticed this. I put the seats on 3 and they are way too hot in a few minutes. Folded shut I don’t want to think about.

In any case, we need more control of these items. Hope that’s coming in the different versions that are rolling out. Or it’s just the driver’s seat that gets enabled. No clarity right now!

In typical Tesla fashion, this update (and people's thoughts of it) are hugely overblown.

1. The app doesn't do anything, you have no new control. Shows you an indication of heating, that's it. If you don't have the firmware update, nothing new happens.
2. Heated seats functionality seems to actually have a regression. Used a thermal camera to confirm - Not only does remote preheating not turn on the seats, but they don't even seem to turn when you open the door and the CID shows the heater as being on. Only seemed to get power minutes after I tapped the brakes with the door open. I'm going to let them cool down and take another run to confirm, using a stopwatch.
3. I tried to be clever and set the cabin temp to 60F initially (7F warmer than the garage it's in) and the brilliant Tesla firmware decided to turn on the AC and cool the cabin to 55F! Oh, and of course it still turned on the steering wheel heater at the same time.

Wow... such engineering...

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and Mark Z
In typical Tesla fashion, this update (and people's thoughts of it) are hugely overblown.

1. The app doesn't do anything, you have no new control. Shows you an indication of heating, that's it. If you don't have the firmware update, nothing new happens.
2. Heated seats functionality seems to actually have a regression. Used a thermal camera to confirm - Not only does remote preheating not turn on the seats, but they don't even seem to turn when you open the door and the CID shows the heater as being on. Only seemed to get power minutes after I tapped the brakes with the door open. I'm going to let them cool down and take another run to confirm, using a stopwatch.
3. I tried to be clever and set the cabin temp to 60F initially (7F warmer than the garage it's in) and the brilliant Tesla firmware decided to turn on the AC and cool the cabin to 55F! Oh, and of course it still turned on the steering wheel heater at the same time.

Wow... such engineering...
So, the preheating doesn't turn the seats on remotely? I don't think you had preheating running...

I think these preheating interactions, no matter what they are (seats, wiper heat, steering wheel), are only enabled when the battery heaters are turned on. And if I recall correctly that only happens when the battery pack is at 41 F/5C or below, no?

It's not any time you turn on the heat in the car. Only when the car is really cold...

Obviously we need a lot more information and testing. And it seems there's a new version of software coming out almost daily:

TeslaFi has 2018.4.1, 5, and 7 (as well as a 6 for the 3, no idea if that includes this functionality or not...).

As usual, it's a quickly moving target. And many of us are discussing something we don't even have. :D

So, the preheating doesn't turn the seats on remotely? I don't think you had preheating running...
I clearly stated the steering wheel heat turned on, and quickly reached ~110F. And I'll make more clear - this is why the AC was on and blowing are ~40F. While attempting to heat.

I think these preheating interactions, no matter what they are (seats, wiper heat, steering wheel), are only enabled when the battery heaters are turned on.
No... and frankly this would be insane. The pack temperature has almost nothing to do with the cabin temperature. You want to talk about spaghetti code? Why not make the owner rub his head and his stomach at the same time. Could make for a neat east egg, everyone likes those.

And if I recall correctly that only happens when the battery pack is at 41 F/5C or below, no?
12C up from 8C, supposedly.

It's not any time you turn on the heat in the car. Only when the car is really cold...
So I'm turning the heat on because I don't need heat? Got it.

Obviously we need a lot more information and testing. And it seems there's a new version of software coming out almost daily:
Bang a square peg into a round hole, it's bound to get in there at some point, right? 110 years after relativity, we're still innovating on thermostats and turning stuff on and off.

Not sure what we're arguing about if we are.. :D I don't want all this stuff running either! If I turn on the climate to warm the cabin, that's all I want on. I don't want screaming hot seats or hot steering wheel or windshield without a choice. If 'everyone else does', at least give me the option to disable it.

As for the battery pack, if the car decides the pack is 'cold enough' to really slow regen and charging, it can run the pack heaters. That's what started all this with the extra icon in the app telling you what was up, and they maybe should have stopped there.

Not sure what we're arguing about if we are.. :D I don't want all this stuff running either! If I turn on the climate to warm the cabin, that's all I want on. I don't want screaming hot seats or hot steering wheel or windshield without a choice. If 'everyone else does', at least give me the option to disable it.

As for the battery pack, if the car decides the pack is 'cold enough' to really slow regen and charging, it can run the pack heaters. That's what started all this with the extra icon in the app telling you what was up, and they maybe should have stopped there.

Yeah well people have only been asking for the individual controls since the app was released half a decade ago. It definitely didn't start with the new battery heater icon, it just reopened a festering wound.

My rants are really hoping for someone at Tesla to read them.