Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-Price Change Paint Configuration Change 10/16 Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Unique question (to me at least)...

Ordered 10/16 (day before grey wheels and price increase)
Performance
Pearl White/Black int
FSD
Still showing 20” Silver Wheels

So.. everyone on here from basically late September forward has had their performance wheels change color to the new grey option. Most people had the price be raised the $1000 as per new pricing (10/17-Current) then credited back. So that seems to be consistent. Except for me, still showing the silver wheels and a 2 week delivery date. Strange... whatever. I think it’s safe to assume it will be coming with grey wheels as the silver seem to be discontinued anyway.

All this spare is time and seeing them on the road. I’m looking to change the paint color to black. The SA seemed to think that any change will put me on the new price plan...ie charge +$1000 for the paint and +$1000 for the new wheels but also admitted that he didn’t really know because as we all know, they don’t know much.

Anyone have any experience with this? Or an idea how this might play out? We know they’re not being made now, so config should be irrelevant and I’m not requesting grey wheels. Just black paint... here’s my +$1000. Take my money, right?

Thanks in advance! Sure there’s someone out there contemplating a exterior change.
C3D1A12D-67AB-42BB-B1E7-46627DF1A5E9.jpeg 9EFFB649-2FEF-4B2E-9521-E289D27406B8.jpeg 82389066-F262-4381-9E9F-3063E7945FE8.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi All

Unique question (to me at least)...

Ordered 10/16 (day before grey wheels and price increase)
Performance
Pearl White/Black int
FSD
Still showing 20” Silver Wheels

So.. everyone on here from basically late September forward has had their performance wheels change color to the new grey option. Most people had the price be raised the $1000 as per new pricing (10/17-Current) then credited back. So that seems to be consistent. Except for me, still showing the silver wheels and a 2 week delivery date. Strange... whatever. I think it’s safe to assume it will be coming with grey wheels as the silver seem to be discontinued anyway.

All this spare is time and seeing them on the road. I’m looking to change the paint color to black. The SA seemed to think that any change will put me on the new price plan...ie charge +$1000 for the paint and +$1000 for the new wheels but also admitted that he didn’t really know because as we all know, they don’t know much.

Anyone have any experience with this? Or an idea how this might play out? We know they’re not being made now, so config should be irrelevant and I’m not requesting grey wheels. Just black paint... here’s my +$1000. Take my money, right?

Thanks in advance! Sure there’s someone out there contemplating a exterior change.
View attachment 471857 View attachment 471858 View attachment 471859

My SA told me that prior to the $100 non-refundable deposit, you could adjust your design/configuration with no additional cost/penalty/price adjustment *unless your config added cost*. For the $100 deposit folks, any changes require ANOTHER $100, while they lose out on the previous $100 that they put. I was debating on the same, but decided to keep the white. Seen too many dirty black Tesla's here in CA and it turned me off. No way I can keep black looking fresh everyday.

My SA told me that prior to the $100 non-refundable deposit, you could adjust your design/configuration with no additional cost/penalty/price adjustment *unless your config added cost*. For the $100 deposit folks, any changes require ANOTHER $100, while they lose out on the previous $100 that they put. I was debating on the same, but decided to keep the white. Seen too many dirty black Tesla's here in CA and it turned me off. No way I can keep black looking fresh everyday.
I've added fsd and changed my color twice. No additional fee.

I'd let them keep my $2500 deposit if I could get the car 2 or 3 weeks sooner.

And yes, I agree -- too many dirty dark cars in California. I had a dark Blue Porsche 911 for a number of years and it constantly needed washing or looked like garbage. And I garaged it when not in use. Stay away from black. Ironically, the easiest color to keep clean is white.

I would expect red or blue to be intermediate in terms of keeping clean. The brighter colors probably don't show dirt and other things. I ordered red, and the one's I've seen locally looked clean when dirty.

Reactions: MattAndLou
So randomly a girl from Tesla just called about me missing my test drive and to see if I wanted to reschedule.

Let her know that I did a test drive already and talked to her about this question. She said that a paint color change is no problem and would stay on the original pricing. She put in an order for that. I also pried about why my account is still showing 2 weeks out and silver wheels where everyone else has been updated. She put a case in there as well to update my account.

Mentioned that people’s wheels have been changing color and some saw a price increase but were mostly credited back for the increase. She confirmed that as well.

Feel like I’m starting down the path of SA (insert number) said this rabbit hole but also glad to have a least an answer in the right direction. Especially since FSD is another $1000 starting tomorrow :rolleyes: Don’t even know which price plan that falls under

I'd let them keep my $2500 deposit if I could get the car 2 or 3 weeks sooner.

And yes, I agree -- too many dirty dark cars in California. I had a dark Blue Porsche 911 for a number of years and it constantly needed washing or looked like garbage. And I garaged it when not in use. Stay away from black. Ironically, the easiest color to keep clean is white.

I would expect red or blue to be intermediate in terms of keeping clean. The brighter colors probably don't show dirt and other things. I ordered red, and the one's I've seen locally looked clean when dirty.

Just read this as I typed the other. I’m black for the time being. At this point I probably should just say white/black whatever. Let me know when a car is ready! :p

At least it looks to be all California here (this thread) So probably all going to be getting them at the same time. Race?

White was a $2,500 upgrade when I bought our black Model 3’s. I would have gladly gone with white if we could have got them at no extra charge.

Does white ($0) vs. red ($2000 extra) really warrant the extra charges? I ordered red because I wanted it, but $2000 is ridiculous for red paint when you think about it. I think Tesla is trying to push people into standard colors, etc. - but from what I read, it isn't working. White is not the most popular Tesla color. Now, in California, probably 1/3 or more of cars are white for obvious reasons. White stays cleaner longer!

Does white ($0) vs. red ($2000 extra) really warrant the extra charges? I ordered red because I wanted it, but $2000 is ridiculous for red paint when you think about it. I think Tesla is trying to push people into standard colors, etc. - but from what I read, it isn't working. White is not the most popular Tesla color. Now, in California, probably 1/3 or more of cars are white for obvious reasons. White stays cleaner longer!

There is no way I would give Tesla $2,000 for red paint vs white paint, but that’s just me. I guess you have to go with the color you like. Personally, I like whichever color is free.

I was torn between white and black as well, with blue as an outside possibility. I ordered white, and have since kept a sharp eye for Model 3s on the road and in the parking lot.

I'm sticking with my choice. Not only does is save $1000, the Model 3 looks GREAT in white! Every time I see one, it takes my breath away for a brief second. The black roof really sets a great contrast, and the white paint does an excellent job defining the curves and lines of the front.

I'm calling my Model 3 "Storm Trooper". :)

I just want to stop waiting for the car! I got rid of my "trade-in" because I thought delivery would be faster. We can get along on one car, because I work from home (if you call what I do work). But getting by with one car is really nuts.

When we were expecting our first baby, we had lots of questions for our midwife about "how, when??", especially during the third trimester. First time parents, were were anxious. Her reply was "the baby will come".

So... the Model 3 will come. ;)

That's the problem. I'm closer to 70 than 60 - and "will come" is all relative. I won't live forever! Not many here are older farts - but it's true about waiting. Until I see a Tesla in my garage, I never really know if I will ever own one. I know that seems strange to many ... but ...

Well, if you're buying a Model 3, that tells us a lot about "young at heart". ;)
You always stay "young at heart" - but get a reality check when you hit 65 - if you're lucky enough to make it that far. You really don't feel that much older at 65 than at 45, if you take care of yourself. Most people do not.

I've done enough to trash the planet to try to clean up my act now. I also want to participate in the "future." Tesla embodies that future, even if they are a bit disorganized. Boy, I sound like a Tesla commercial!

I know lots of people like me who would jump at a Tesla if they didn't have to wait for them. 2-3 weeks seemed reasonable, but I'm a bit crazy to hold out the 6-12 that it will really be.

4-6 weeks (if accurately predicted at order) is reasonable. 6-8 weeks is nuts. 8-12 weeks (with no assurance) is ridiculous. I hear that Tesla fears a softening US market, but if that market is softening, it's because that Tesla management doesn't understand that waiting is not infinite when it comes to cars.

Everyone I tell I am waiting for a Tesla thinks I'm nuts for waiting for a car so long. They're probably right.

It also drives me totally nuts that the factory is only 65 miles away from me and they are probably sending tons of cars to Europe and Asia as I write this. How about the U.S. (and Canada) for a while, Tesla?!