Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre PTO : Powerwall and Solar Panels non-operative

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my PV Panels and 2x PW+ system installed last week and i was using those on "test" mode for the past week. This morning i noticed that the PW are not charging and Panels not producing any electricity. Also noticed that the app showing "Network Setup" to configure Wi-Fi to complete - which gets stuck on Connecting.
I also tried connecting to "TEG" SSID but it says invalid password. Tried power cycling at the breaker - still non operative.

Tried calling Customer support and I was told everything is normal and the above is due to not having PTO yet. Is this normal? I have heard and seen people using the "test mode" until PTO and I now I'm in an indefinite wait cycle at the mercy of Tesla and Centerpoint to obtain PTO in the next "few" moths :(
Is there an alternate for this situation?

System: 14.62 kW with 2 PW+ : No Gateway or shutoff switch; Just the Type 3R ring to the meter.

that is not normal. I ran for at least a month prior to PTO

I would tend to agree, but also dont know if there is some difference in these newer systems. OP mentions they have (2) powerwall+ without a gateway as we know it. OP also says "no shutoff" which I find perplexing, but I certainly am not an expert on when shutoffs are required, how far they need to be, etc.

Its possible that systems with no gateway (1 or 2), and only powerwall+ with its setup, are controlled differently than what we are used to from tesla in relationship to operation before PTO. I am not saying it is, just saying that those setups are "different" than what most of us have.

Upvote 0
I would tend to agree, but also dont know if there is some difference in these newer systems. OP mentions they have (2) powerwall+ without a gateway as we know it. OP also says "no shutoff" which I find perplexing, but I certainly am not an expert on when shutoffs are required, how far they need to be, etc.

Its possible that systems with no gateway (1 or 2), and only powerwall+ with its setup, are controlled differently than what we are used to from tesla in relationship to operation before PTO. I am not saying it is, just saying that those setups are "different" than what most of us have.

I thought the OP said they operated 1 week and everything worked

Upvote 0
I thought the OP said they operated 1 week and everything worked

Thats what their OP says, yes, but that still doesnt mean much in tesla land. It could have taken that long for tesla to process the paperwork of their install, for example. I am not saying thats the case, just saying that we need more people with "powerwall+ only" installs to confirm what is, and isnt expected, and that just because it worked for us back then, doesnt mean it works on that system now.

Upvote 0
It is possible for things to be "fully operational" before permission to operate (PTO). My sister's system ran for a couple of months that way. It was installed in early June and they got PTO just three days ago. They flipped their main breaker off and ran on solar and Powerwall the vast majority of the time while waiting for their PTO (but after inspection and having paid for the system).

However there are many variables in play here. We're in California, the original poster (OP) appears to be in Houston. Tesla could have different "rules" or practices for different areas. We also know that installers also vary in their practices on how they set things up and leave them. Tesla could have changed things as @jjrandorin already said. It is also not clear if the system has been inspected and passed the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). Tesla seems to treat passing inspect as key milestone (e.g. they want you to pay after it passes).

Based on the minimal description of this install I'm not very surprised that is is shutdown. The system appears to use the disconnect switch (I forget the official name of it). I'm speculating that this system uses the fancier Power Control System (PCS) features of a PW+ system to avoid having to replace the main panel. This requires coordinating the output of solar and Powerwalls with grid inputs to avoid overloading the power bus. Based on the discussion in other threads there may technical reasons, e.g. the software is not quite ready, that Tesla is conveniently masking with the lack of PTO and/or inspection. Obviously this is all speculation.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
I got my PV Panels and 2x PW+ system installed last week and i was using those on "test" mode for the past week. This morning i noticed that the PW are not charging and Panels not producing any electricity. Also noticed that the app showing "Network Setup" to configure Wi-Fi to complete - which gets stuck on Connecting.
I also tried connecting to "TEG" SSID but it says invalid password. Tried power cycling at the breaker - still non operative.

Tried calling Customer support and I was told everything is normal and the above is due to not having PTO yet. Is this normal? I have heard and seen people using the "test mode" until PTO and I now I'm in an indefinite wait cycle at the mercy of Tesla and Centerpoint to obtain PTO in the next "few" moths :(
Is there an alternate for this situation?

System: 14.62 kW with 2 PW+ : No Gateway or shutoff switch; Just the Type 3R ring to the meter.
This happened to me as well. 6 days after install it seems they put the onboard WiFi device in some sort of disabled mode so you both can not log into TEG and it can not communicate out to your WiFi or the neurio devices. Someone mentioned to me this would be changed after the system was officially activated at time of PTO. Fortunately the Ethernet is still active and configured . This may be kind of new since the Tesla electricians that came out to trouble shoot did not encounter it before and ended up using my home network to log into the installer page.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
This happened to me as well. 6 days after install it seems they put the onboard WiFi device in some sort of disabled mode so you both can not log into TEG and it can not communicate out to your WiFi or the neurio devices. Someone mentioned to me this would be changed after the system was officially activated at time of PTO. Fortunately the Ethernet is still active and configured . This may be kind of new since the Tesla electricians that came out to trouble shoot did not encounter it before and ended up using my home network to log into the installer page.
This is exactly what happened to me wrt onboard TEG SSID or connecting the system to my WiFi.

Thankfully the issue is resolved now and system is generating power :)

I have shutdown the whole system at breaker level and left it for about an hour before i turned it on.
I later received a notification on my router saying that the inverter got connected to wifi :)
I can see solar panels charging the battery this morning and planning to go "off grid" after decent battery capacity.

Thank you all for your inputs and valuable discussion.

Reactions: holeydonut
Upvote 0
This is exactly what happened to me wrt onboard TEG SSID or connecting the system to my WiFi.

Thankfully the issue is resolved now and system is generating power :)

I have shutdown the whole system at breaker level and left it for about an hour before i turned it on.
I later received a notification on my router saying that the inverter got connected to wifi :)
I can see solar panels charging the battery this morning and planning to go "off grid" after decent battery capacity.

Thank you all for your inputs and valuable discussion.
Anyone with PW+ , Backup Switch get PTO from Centerpoint?

Upvote 0
Anyone with PW+ , Backup Switch get PTO from Centerpoint?
I would also be curious to know this too... but for TNMP. I'm in the middle of the design phase with Tesla and my system has 2 PWs and the Backup Switch. Talking to my PA he says I'm a beta tester. In this set up there is no gateway. I assume all that functionality is in the PW+ now. It simplifies the overall design. But I saw a YouTuber in another part of the country whose utility red-tagged the Backup Switch and is threatening to disconnect him from the grid.

Upvote 0
I'm basically in the same boat. Tesla finished my install on the 20th, and I'd been charging my 2 PWs andante they were charged the system reduced the solar output to match the house's requirements. That is until Saturday at 9:30am, when the system went into Standby mode and stopped generating anything, requiring me to draw from the grid for the house electricity needs. The green LED strip now lights on 3 second intervals no matter what I do. I'm waiting for PTO and my utility to install a net meter. I attached to the system (TEG-xxx) previously as a Customer and recorded the info, but now it tells me my Login/PW are invalid. (APP is 4.0, and the system is on 21.24.2, Self-Powered)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is normal for us in Houston. I had my system installed June 2 and the tech said everything is working fine and left, he indicated I could connect the app and see my usage.
I tried with the app and nothing worked, I called Tesla and the said things will only be operational after PTO. A day after the tech called and asked me to turn the breakers to the inverters off. My system sat there for month and once I got PTO I flipped the breakers and was good to go. Things work a bit different with Centerpoint it seems.

Upvote 0