Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preconditioning for Supercharger...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly what happened to me on Saturday on the way back from Wales. Arrived at schedulled SUper Charger with 6% of charge. Lessons learnt on my part.

I wonder if the trip calculator takes that into account - will it back off preconditioning if it thinks you'll arrive with too low a state of charge? or just tell you to drive slower

I would like to see more data on this. Perhaps overlaid charge curves for conditioned vs not conditioned. Assume greater benefit at lower states of charge so if you eg top up at 50% it may not be worth the energy expended.

Reactions: hairysteve
I wonder if the trip calculator takes that into account - will it back off preconditioning if it thinks you'll arrive with too low a state of charge? or just tell you to drive slower

I would like to see more data on this. Perhaps overlaid charge curves for conditioned vs not conditioned. Assume greater benefit at lower states of charge so if you eg top up at 50% it may not be worth the energy expended.
It was interesting as at the start of the journey it estimated 20% of charge when arrived at the SC so suspect it didnt include conditioning and this comes into consideration later based on how much energy you have consumed aka your driving style.

It was interesting as at the start of the journey it estimated 20% of charge when arrived at the SC so suspect it didnt include conditioning and this comes into consideration later based on how much energy you have consumed aka your driving style.
Related thread here:

• Helpful
Reactions: hairysteve
We trusted the car to make sure that we arrived at a supercharger regardless of preconditioning.

The lowest was 10% soc and that was after driving for 200 miles. For three SC it started preconditioning around 90 miles out. It was cold 8c and dropping.

We got to all of our SC and home. We didn’t care about a few more £ due to preconditioning. I’m sure the tech knows what it’s doing. We arrived at busy SC’s so I would suppose Tesla are balancing the busy periods. Either way we left each SC when it pinged us that it had a enough charge to get to the next SC or home. Over 1200 miles it took no longer than driving our previous ICE.

We don’t get range anxiety and worse case we’d call AA or Tesla.