Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger precondition when station short distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live on the road so can’t charge my 2023 Model Y overnight most of the time. I use the Tesla Supercharger stations. At times the stations are very close to where I’m staying, say 2-5 miles. Can I set the battery to warm up/precondition before arriving at the station? The only thing I see is to set the departure time but that seems to only affect climate control.

The ideal case is that you charge when you arrive instead of the next morning.
@xtreembob Yeah, this is about the best thing I can recommend. I did a big cross the country and back 5,000+ mile road trip in February 2018, so it was a lot of cold times. I knew of how slow that would be if I left the car to get cold overnight outside and then tried to charge immediately first thing in the morning a few miles away. So whenever I was arriving in town, my first destination was immediately to the Supercharger. I would charge for some amount of time, like 15 or 20 minutes just to get up near half or so while charging was still pretty fast, so it wouldn't require charging in the morning before leaving town ( or maybe just less charging time needed in the morning). Then it depended on distances and amenities in that town. Maybe just leave first thing in the morning if there was another Supercharger within range, like 60-100 miles, or maybe get some breakfast sandwiches and then Supercharge a bit while eating, etc.

Can I set the battery to warm up/precondition before arriving at the station?
And so to answer that question, no there isn't. The prewarming is just cabin, and it will warm the battery just a little bit if it's really below freezing as a side effect, but not even trying to get warm enough to where it will help Supercharging speed. That can only happen while in Drive, not while parked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do charge the car when I arrive but then I stay in an area for maybe 7-10 days and need to charge while exploring that area. I wish if scheduling a departure at a certain time and the destination was a Supercharger station Tesla would know to precondition the battery or maybe have an option to turn on preconditioning ~45 mins before I intend on going to a station. Thank you all for your replies!

Upvote 0
I do charge the car when I arrive but then I stay in an area for maybe 7-10 days and need to charge while exploring that area. I wish if scheduling a departure at a certain time and the destination was a Supercharger station Tesla would know to precondition the battery or maybe have an option to turn on preconditioning ~45 mins before I intend on going to a station. Thank you all for your replies!

If it's below freezing outside, you can activate the climate control from your app, which will also activate battery heating. It will only heat it up to a few degrees above freezing, but it will help get the party started if your battery is cold soaked. This process only takes about 20 minutes before it reaches its desired temperature and shuts off. For full Supercharger heating, you need to set the navigation.

Upvote 0
If it's below freezing outside, you can activate the climate control from your app, which will also activate battery heating. It will only heat it up to a few degrees above freezing, but it will help get the party started if your battery is cold soaked. This process only takes about 20 minutes before it reaches its desired temperature and shuts off. For full Supercharger heating, you need to set the navigation.
I’m from upstate New York so I get as far away from cold weather as I can. Currently I’m below Tallahassee, FL dealing with beautiful weather. Temps at night are in the 30’s at their lowest.

Upvote 0
It is annoying, as there are definitely routes where it is easier to charge on the way out than on the way in. Your best hope then may be to plan to arrive with a lower end charge (like 30-40%) at the hotel, enough to get to your supercharger for the way out, which is ideally far enough away that your battery warms on the trip there.

Charging in the morning is preferred (if you can make it work) if you wan to keep your car warm at night, which sometimes you may do if you want to leave stuff in it that won't freeze. Tesla may someday implement a "don't freeze" mode, similar to camp/dog mode that keeps the car just above freezing rather than at 60 degrees. I've asked them to do that.

Tesla also needs to implement a way to say, "My destination is a fast charger, please precondition" for when you are going to a CCS charger. While you can falsely nav to a supercharger to trigger this, that does not always work depending on where things are, and it's stupid. But frankly Tesla should include the CCS chargers on the map and let us nav to them just like SC.

Of course, when you can find it, hotels with charging are the best. Often free with your stay, fully charged in the morning, have the car warm itself by departure time.

Upvote 0
Yes, but you need to be in the car (or very close) to press a button or use the phone interface. and I'm pretty sure the battery preconditioning will only toggle on if the car is in Drive.
Yes, I tried selecting the charger destination, putting the car in drive, waited a few moments, put the environment control on ‘Keep’ and exited the car hoping that would keep it in preconditioning mode but when I got back in a few minutes later it was off.

Upvote 0