Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The worlds former most valuable company takes a bit of a haircut...

CNBC: Saudi Aramco profit drops 50% for first half of the year as pandemic batters oil price.
Saudi Aramco profit drops 50% for first half of the year as pandemic batters oil price

"We remain fairly positive about the long term demand for oil"...

LOL, the company directors need to loosen those turbans as they appear to be cutting off the blood flow to their brains.

• Funny
Reactions: Solarguy and mspohr
More coal power generation closed than opened around the world this year, research finds

More coal power generation closed than opened around the world this year, research finds

The size of the global coal power fleet fell for the first time on record over the first six months of the year, with more generation capacity shutting than starting operation.

Shearer said India had “radically reduced” the amount of coal it planned to build as the fuel struggled to compete with new solar and wind: “They don’t have anyone to sell the power to because there are cheaper alternatives.”

“No one is saying it is going to happen in the next five years, but the trajectory is clear,” he said. “How can you compete with [solar and wind] that has zero marginal cost of supply? They are going to lose. I have zero doubt about it.”
Power generation is the child of politics, not fuel availability. They are just playing with the environmentals. In the end, your EV runs on what they are selling, and it's a offer you can't refuse!

Power generation is the child of politics, not fuel availability. They are just playing with the environmentals. In the end, your EV runs on what they are selling, and it's a offer you can't refuse!
We have a pretty green grid here in PG&E land and CA in general and getting greener rapidly. Still, many with solar PV and home batteries have refused the offer.:D

Reactions: SageBrush
In the end, your EV runs on what they are selling, and it's a offer you can't refuse!

But you CAN delay charging until ~noon on a weekend when charging your car means less solar PV is being curtailed or 2am when charging mean less wind is curtailed...

Hopefully soon you'll be able to join a aggregation network that will preferentially charge your car only when there's wind or solar curtailment so the only time your car takes kWh is either when you absolutely need it or when sending a kWh to your car means 1 less kWh of wind or solar is curtailed.

In the future, get an advance message from your utility of a window of free to pennies per kWh to charge your BEV during solar PV curtailment. Yes please.
It would be really nice to have EV sub-metering with an "agile" tariff. When the kWh pricing goes negative, they pay you to charge your car. This already happens in the UK.

It would be really nice to have EV sub-metering with an "agile" tariff. When the kWh pricing goes negative, they pay you to charge your car. This already happens in the UK.
The little bit I know about the UK scene is that participants receive a text message; and if they can, they connect their cars at the low tariff time.

I'll guess that is a party that will not last long. I imagine people connecting their cars whenever they can and setting a threshold tariff to start the electricity flowing. It will require a smarter EVSE, but not too much. And then the days of free electricity will be over.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmartElectric
But you CAN delay charging until ~noon on a weekend when charging your car means less solar PV is being curtailed or 2am when charging mean less wind is curtailed...

Hopefully soon you'll be able to join a aggregation network that will preferentially charge your car only when there's wind or solar curtailment so the only time your car takes kWh is either when you absolutely need it or when sending a kWh to your car means 1 less kWh of wind or solar is curtailed.
Yep !

Or just self-consume your own behind the meter production. In areas where 1:1 net ($) metering is not available that will be the obvious choice.

The little bit I know about the UK scene is that participants receive a text message; and if they can, they connect their cars at the low tariff time.

I'll guess that is a party that will not last long. I imagine people connecting their cars whenever they can and setting a threshold tariff to start the electricity flowing. It will require a smarter EVSE, but not too much. And then the days of free electricity will be over.
If we overbuild solar PV and on/offshore wind and fill in the gaps with non-V2G battery backup optimally, would imagine summer or (a future of heat pump upgraded buildings) winter would have little or no free curtailment electrons.

But that would leave opportunity for a spring feast, no? Or if we get million-mile-batteries that can handle the increased cycling/usage/discharges of V2G, maybe a bit more there...

Of course trying to charge during peak times could be punitively scary.

If we overbuild solar PV and on/offshore wind and fill in the gaps with non-V2G battery backup optimally, would imagine summer or (a future of heat pump upgraded buildings) winter would have little or no free curtailment electrons.
I expect supply/demand imbalances. I was saying that the current zero cost electricity is more a case of inadequate information and a failed marketplace. When the pool of EV owners can set the rate they are willing to pay and have it happen automagically, it will be some discount off the average TOU rate but no where near zero.

If I am following correctly, the plan is to take the oil and gas profits over the next decade and rather than spend them on oil and gas R&D, to spend them on acquiring profitable clean energy assets.

I frankly do not expect the oil companies to be profitable from here on out, given their future stranded assets. They may not write them down every year but the bill will exist.

If I am following correctly, the plan is to take the oil and gas profits over the next decade and rather than spend them on oil and gas R&D, to spend them on acquiring profitable clean energy assets.

I frankly do not expect the oil companies to be profitable from here on out, given their future stranded assets. They may not write them down every year but the bill will exist.
Can't argue with that, although it may depend on the asset structure of the oil company, which varies somewhat.

I won't be shedding any tears if all the oil companies go belly-up! I do find it interesting, however, that some are trying to diversify into renewables — it suggests that they see the writing on the wall.

Reactions: eevee-fan