Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technology keeps advancing. Geothermal is getting its legs. I'm not saying don't do wind and solar now, but eventually fission fusion and/or geothermal should be added to the mix in a significant way.

So it has nothing to do with what if a meteor hit earth, because these nuclear plants are definitely not going to survive. We will probably have to stay away from these sites due to nuclear material contaminating the region.

Technology keeps advancing. Geothermal is getting its legs. I'm not saying don't do wind and solar now, but eventually fission fusion and/or geothermal should be added to the mix in a significant way.

How? How does fission, fusion and/or geothermal make electricity? Physics will always be physics. Heat will always be a ridiculous source of electricity. Technology can't advance past physics.

Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr
Spoken like a true blue pill. :)

Living in a simulation and hacking it is the most probable way we'll ever get economically viable electricity from heat :) But if we're hacking the Matrix we should just make this work. :cool:

Screen Shot 2024-06-17 at 8.02.33 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr
For anyone else regularly checking in on CAISO, we're continuing to set new battery (high) and NG (low) records.

Just this morning between 11-12am batteries were up to peak charging ~6 GW. A couple early evenings ago they were discharging over 7 GW for about and hour, even more than NG was contributing then.

The other remarkable thing is that we are starting to see more days like June 15th where NG delivery has been finally under 1 GW from the time the sun rose until the early afternoon (8 continuous hours that day).

View attachment 1057317View attachment 1057318

It took me awhile to read this chart! Initially, I thought the red line was Nat Gas, but couldn't figure out how that generated power could go negative?!?! Then I realized that's "imports", which means CA was actually exporting power to the other states during those hours.

Reactions: iPlug

When the country has a plan and follows through…

When the country has a plan and follows through…
Less fossil fuel burning in May came despite a reduced contribution from nuclear and wind. Atomic generation will likely begin rising later this decade. Only one reactor connected to the grid last year, compared to the expected average of five a year through 2027, according to the World Nuclear Association.

And it happens in China too.

Reactions: mspohr
How? How does fission, fusion and/or geothermal make electricity? Physics will always be physics. Heat will always be a ridiculous source of electricity. Technology can't advance past physics.
Casey has seen the light...

Reactions: nwdiver and mspohr
Casey has seen the light...

The fact solar is now flirting with $0.20/w makes it even more insane that the enthusiasm for thermal still hasn't been tempered in some people.

Solar basically displaces dirty energy from the 'middle' out. ~100% at ~noon then soon all hours of the day. Then demand response shuffles more demand in from the edges to daytime. Then storage does even more. Until pretty soon ~60% of the hours of the year are monopolized by solar.

Thermal is from the bottom up. 1GW 24 hours/day. But it needs a market for >8,000hrs/yr. How does that happen when it's only needed for <4,000hrs/yr? Diablo Canyon is ~$600M/GW/yr. If you're paying $600M/yr it's simply not workable to only be able to contribute ~half the time. A gas turbine is ~$20M/GW/yr.

Thermal is not economically compatible with solar. I don't understand how there are people that don't understand this.

Reactions: Dave EV and mspohr

I do wish the neighboring states (that buys cheap renewable exported from California) offer EV rate to 3pm instead of ending early morning. I would rather charge my Tesla during late morning/early afternoon using solar power instead of at night when it's probably natural gas.

Current NV Energy rates for Las Vegas: 12a-8a EV rate, 8a-6p Normal Rate, 6p=9p Peak Rate, 9p-12a Normal Rate.

Reactions: Dave EV and iPlug
The fact solar is now flirting with $0.20/w makes it even more insane that the enthusiasm for thermal still hasn't been tempered in some people.

Solar basically displaces dirty energy from the 'middle' out. ~100% at ~noon then soon all hours of the day. Then demand response shuffles more demand in from the edges to daytime. Then storage does even more. Until pretty soon ~60% of the hours of the year are monopolized by solar.

Thermal is from the bottom up. 1GW 24 hours/day. But it needs a market for >8,000hrs/yr. How does that happen when it's only needed for <4,000hrs/yr? Diablo Canyon is ~$600M/GW/yr. If you're paying $600M/yr it's simply not workable to only be able to contribute ~half the time. A gas turbine is ~$20M/GW/yr.

Thermal is not economically compatible with solar. I don't understand how there are people that don't understand this.

How about for seasonal power shifting? Ramp up thermal for late-fall to early spring for the times when solar is lowest and the waste heat is now a useful by-product instead of something to work against. No matter how cheap solar becomes, long-term stored energy is still pretty costly.

How about for seasonal power shifting? Ramp up thermal for late-fall to early spring for the times when solar is lowest and the waste heat is now a useful by-product instead of something to work against. No matter how cheap solar becomes, long-term stored energy is still pretty costly.

Gas Turbines can run on H2. Or you can make CH4 out of H2.

Electrolysis is going to be far cheaper for seasonal storage than running nuclear for ~half the year. And even the ~half of the year nuclear will be more useful you're still not going to need it ~most days.

It's a fairly simple progression.

1. Solar is cheap => flood the grid with solar. Make solar fences, put solar on walls, put solar ~everywhere. That will ensure >100% daytime coverage even in winter. And really most solar additions should be ~vertical. Latitude facing solar mostly increases curtailment while vertical increases morning, evening and winter generation. Solar fences! :)
  2. When there's sufficient curtailment deploy storage. It's just a question of economics. If Solar is ~$20/MWh and adding capacity increases curtailment by ~50% the adjusted cost is ~$40/MWh. If the cycle life cost of storage is < $40/MWh... add storage... if it's >$40/MWh... keep adding solar until curtailment increases.
  3. When there's regular daily curtailment even with batteries start splitting water.

Gas turbines will provide 24/7/365 on demand power to ensure reliability. Always. First with CH4 and gradually H2. This is basically how the grid operates now. Because it's cheap and it works.

I'd love for someone to explain how spending $15B for a GW then ~$300M/yr to operate that GW adds any value here....

Last edited:
We've witnessed almost a complete collapse of the coal industry. Companies that once commanded Billions in Market Value just 5 year ago have been reduced to Bankrupt shells. Things can change very quickly when inflection points are reached.

Nuclear and Coal share the same base load profile. The one thing nuclear advocates are pushing to save nuclear 'A Carbon Tax' will also promote its poison; Variable Wind and Solar. If their growth continues we could see significant nuclear curtailment in less than 5 years. Plants with a capacity factor of >90% are running razor thin margins. They can't survive even modest curtailment.

As Bloomberg pointed out a few weeks ago... EVs are poised to lower demand enough to cause a permanent collapse in the price of oil by ~2022. As more countries pledge to ban petrol powered cars in the next 15 years and Tesla has accelerated production plans this appears to be almost inevitable.
Wind and solar isn't going to cut it for power generation. They are nice little supplements, but we still need nuclear, gas, and coal.

Wind and solar isn't going to cut it for power generation. They are nice little supplements, but we still need nuclear, gas, and coal.

The math disagrees. We can get more than enough energy per year from wind and solar. Hydrogen is an effectively infinite battery. So how exactly would wind and solar 'not cut it'?

AreaRequired1000.jpg

Gas Turbines can run on H2. Or you can make CH4 out of H2.

Electrolysis is going to be far cheaper for seasonal storage than running nuclear for ~half the year. And even the ~half of the year nuclear will be more useful you're still not going to need it ~most days.

It's a fairly simple progression.

1. Solar is cheap => flood the grid with solar. Make solar fences, put solar on walls, put solar ~everywhere. That will ensure >100% daytime coverage even in winter. And really most solar additions should be ~vertical. Latitude facing solar mostly increases curtailment while vertical increases morning, evening and winter generation. Solar fences! :)
  2. When there's sufficient curtailment deploy storage. It's just a question of economics. If Solar is ~$20/MWh and adding capacity increases curtailment by ~50% the adjusted cost is ~$40/MWh. If the cycle life cost of storage is < $40/MWh... add storage... if it's >$40/MWh... keep adding solar until curtailment increases.
  3. When there's regular daily curtailment even with batteries start splitting water.

Gas turbines will provide 24/7/365 on demand power to ensure reliability. Always. First with CH4 and gradually H2. This is basically how the grid operates now. Because it's cheap and it works.

I'd love for someone to explain how spending $15B for a GW then ~$300M/yr to operate that GW adds any value here....

I was thinking of geothermal and nat gas, since you said "Thermal is not economically compatible with solar". That was where my original reply was coming from. Unfortunately neither battery storage nor pumped hydro are anywhere near $100/MWh for SEASONAL energy shifting, so your simple progression step 2 won't work.

I was thinking of geothermal and nat gas, since you said "Thermal is not economically compatible with solar". That was where my original reply was coming from. Unfortunately neither battery storage nor pumped hydro are anywhere near $100/MWh for SEASONAL energy shifting, so your simple progression step 2 won't work.

That's why it's going to be Hydrogen. And that's why it's step 3. We're not likely to even start doing seasonal energy shifting for ~20+ years. Even when we start producing Hydrogen there's a lot of Hydrogen we need as Hydrogen that currently comes from Natural Gas. It would be silly to produce H2 to produce electricity in the winter if we're still making H2 from natural gas. Just keep burning gas to make electricity.

That's the underlying thesis in the thread title. We're going to be relying on natural gas to keep electricity reliable for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr

In India unprecedented heat. India's CO2 emissions hit a new high - the highest ever anywhere as COAL combustion surges to keep the coolers & air conditioners running.

This is a real FEEDBACK LOOP happening in India which affects not only India but also all of us of course.

Think that the UN have to intervene to work out this FEEDBACK LOOP taking place in India.