Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Coal has fallen. Nuclear is next then Oil.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much harder done than said. As mountain top removal to get coal, removes all the topsoil so the ground is crap for growing anything. When trees are planted there is over 90% mortality. Yes it will come back, but centauries are needed to rebuild the topsoil needed for a healthy eco system. So why not wind and solar in the mean time?
why not? because it will never grow back ... however i dont have a problem with that in this case as the damage is done (then again why not just keep mining the hole?)... I still don't like the clear cut of acres of scenic mountain tops for windmills either though

why not? because it will never grow back ... however i dont have a problem with that in this case as the damage is done (then again why not just keep mining the hole?)... I still don't like the clear cut of acres of scenic mountain tops for windmills either though
Coal seams are like 5-20' thick. So let's say there is 30' of topsoil and dirt above the coal seam. They scrape off that top layer, then dig out the coal layer. Then they put the top layer of dirt back. BUT because the top soil is like 6" and they removed 30' the top soil is badly scattered and mixed up with rock/dirt with no organic matter. It is similar to replanting a forest in a LARGE gravel parking lot.

• Informative
Reactions: bruce4000 and iPlug
It will grow back. It takes longer to recover depending on how much damage coal mining has done. If it's just a clear cut of the trees, it grows back quickly. If the topsoil has been removed by the coal miners it will take longer (and it does help to replace as much topsoil as possible and replant to stabilize it).

Coal seams are like 5-20' thick. So let's say there is 30' of topsoil and dirt above the coal seam. They scrape off that top layer, then dig out the coal layer. Then they put the top layer of dirt back. BUT because the top soil is like 6" and they removed 30' the top soil is badly scattered and mixed up with rock/dirt with no organic matter. It is similar to replanting a forest in a LARGE gravel parking lot.
If the topsoil is mixed with gravel, etc. it does contain organic matter (I.e. the topsoil).

I was just watching that 🙂

$10B for 350MW + 150MW of thermal storage. Perfect energy source for the 8th richest man in the world.

So building a 500MW thermal plant with a 350MW heat source. They're kneecapping a generation source that economically needs a CF of ~90% at < 70%. Make the stupid make sense. 😞

DOE needs a rule. No more funding for FOAK. You can build anything you want as long as it's an AP1000, an AP1000 or an AP1000.

Reactions: mspohr
It will grow back. It takes longer to recover depending on how much damage coal mining has done. If it's just a clear cut of the trees, it grows back quickly. If the topsoil has been removed by the coal miners it will take longer (and it does help to replace as much topsoil as possible and replant to stabilize it).
Yes, I've been to The Wilds in Cumberland, OH which is on an old coal-mining area.
As well as having the safari park, they do research on reforestation there.

Reactions: mspohr
i dont find it funny at all that they cut down an entire forest and call it "clean energy"

Just because one developer did the idiotic thing of cutting down a forest to build a wind farm, doesn't mean the others are equally dumb. Most of the wind farms (including in TX) have been put up without cutting down any trees. So your characterization is WAY OFF.

Just because one developer did the idiotic thing of cutting down a forest to build a wind farm, doesn't mean the others are equally dumb. Most of the wind farms (including in TX) have been put up without cutting down any trees. So your characterization is WAY OFF.
Maybe you missed where I said I'm a fan of multiple energy sources.. but they don't always make sense in every area
.. yes Kansas and West Texas should put up wind turbines and solar in the Arizona desert

But I'm not ot sure replacing farmland in south Georgia with solar is a good idea

Maybe you missed where I said I'm a fan of multiple energy sources.. but they don't always make sense in every area
.. yes Kansas and West Texas should put up wind turbines and solar in the Arizona desert

But I'm not ot sure replacing farmland in south Georgia with solar is a good idea

Why in the name of ass-hatery would you focus on putting solar panels over farmland, when there's plenty of parking lots, buildings and homes to put those solar panels in Georgia?!?!

Edit: Your focus on the inane is what's earning you the collective ire.

Why in the name of ass-hatery would you focus on putting solar panels over farmland, when there's plenty of parking lots, buildings and homes to put those solar panels in Georgia?!?!

I think just putting solar above all the roads will produce more than enough solar for the whole USA! Plus, it will be very distributed and provide cover for drivers from the rain and sun! Maybe even wireless EV charging from above. LOL

You haven't heard of solar farm leases?

You haven't heard of solar farm leases?

If you're worried about farmland then go after the idiots using it to grow fuel.

How Solar Could Free Up 29.8 Million Acres of Prime US Farmland

I was just watching that 🙂

$10B for 350MW + 150MW of thermal storage. Perfect energy source for the 8th richest man in the world.

So building a 500MW thermal plant with a 350MW heat source. They're kneecapping a generation source that economically needs a CF of ~90% at < 70%. Make the stupid make sense. 😞

DOE needs a rule. No more funding for FOAK. You can build anything you want as long as it's an AP1000, an AP1000 or an AP1000.
It was hard enough to build an ap1000 and an ap1000 don't think anyone is doing that again anytime soon