Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prediction: Model X price will be reduced to $78K in January 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't sell it without losing a significant amount of money. I was so excited about the Model X that I even paid for a full PPF on it. Definitely can't sell it now at least for a couple of years.

I'm trying to like my Model X, but it's getting more and more difficult to now that there are more options out there.

Get it personally enhanced so that you like it. Then you can be proud your X is the coolest cat on the street.

I can't sell it without losing a significant amount of money. I was so excited about the Model X that I even paid for a full PPF on it. Definitely can't sell it now at least for a couple of years.

I'm trying to like my Model X, but it's getting more and more difficult to now that there are more options out there.
I can see your dislike for the build quality of the Model X. You did get a problematic build quality car (parts literally popping out on the drive home from delivery) which I understand will start your journey with a bad taste in your mouth but those can get resolved and are for the most part cosmetic.

Yes, there are known issues with the half shafts and negative camber in the rear but this is from a manufacturer where the X was the second product they ever built from the ground up and now realize their design issues which does not make financial sense to fully redesign since it is a low volume car and their growth focus is somewhere else. They have also admitted that it is a design issue but I do think there are simple fixes to the negative camber issue they should implement. For the half shafts, the warranty should be extended for 10 year/100K miles or beyond similar to when other manufacturers identify a significant design flaw (Hyundai/Kia with some of their engine bearing failures, Honda in the mid 2000's with their leaky transmissions mated to a V6 engine, etc.)
I had a Lexus GS350 F-Sport which had terrible issues with its adjustable suspension where the expensive struts and shocks would fail like clockwork at 35K miles and I had to replace multiple times ($2k a pop). That car also had issues with it's moonroof misaligning in it's track which requires partial removal of the interior and removal of the windshield to repair.

Overall though I love the X and all it has to offer. Is it a super refined car? No. Is it comfortable, fast, handles fairly well and makes me smile when I drive it? A big Yes to that.

What I don't understand, why you are here in Tesla group and bitching about Tesla. It is clear you don't like it; sell whatever Tesla you have and get a Ford or any other button car you like and move ON. Who cares what your choices are? We all know about other cars. I have driven German/Japanese/Korean cars and BY FAR did not like it. Most recently before Y, I leased Mercedes GLC 350e and was repenting after 1 year and returned it even before my lease expired.
Ah, I forgot. This forum should only be for the kool-aid drinkers who worship Elon and everything he says and does. Thanks for the reminder.

I have a tax edition X on order, currently in a MYP. I tried to talk myself out of it by test driving a new Porsche Cayenne this past weekend. I'm a Porsche guy and currently own a Boxster S. As much as I wanted to love the new 2024 Cayenne, I couldn't do it. It would be a bit over $100k and didn't please me the way the X does. It was tight on space and archaic compared to the X. I've owned BMW's and most recently a Lexus GX460.

Right after the Porsche drive, I returned to my Tesla SC and took a second hour-long test drive the X again. Other than the Yoke on the demo model this time, it just sealed the deal that the X is my next vehicle. I did not care for the driving dynamic of the Yoke at all.

You mean the hypothetical situation that this happens right at the doorstep of the chargin station? You said you arrive at charging with 20%.

If you arrive at charging with 5% it means that "while you are on the way to the charger, where something can happen", you will still have that 20%, or if it starts looking doomy and gloomy you have time to change your plans for that special circumstance.

Anyways, happy wife, happy life 😂
Exactly - this reminds of the meme out there:

1706122184032.png

I'm on the right - I have zero problems running my ICE truck down to having the gas light on (less than 50 estimated miles), my wife is definitely on the left LOL.

Maybe a topic to bring up that people like you who can afford to spend might prefer their resort if something like this was available. Hook them up with an electrician.
BTDT - I tell them every time we're there. Most of the other resorts in the same system already have destination chargers - I make frequent use of the free destination charging whenever we travel - it's a nice perk without a doubt - so it bugs me that this particular resort doesn't have any - especially considering they have their own parking garage.
Good point. The cars should do a better job at instructing this, interactively.
Yeah I agree. I wish there were better filtering options when looking for SCs, for example filtering between V2/V3 chargers, filtering out SCs embedded within paid parking garages, etc., and I wish that there was an option to display non-Tesla DC public chargers as well (not gonna happen most likely). I currently use Plugshare for this need - but I'll give ABRP a try on our next road trip again to see if it's gotten better.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
I have a tax edition X on order, currently in a MYP. I tried to talk myself out of it by test driving a new Porsche Cayenne this past weekend. I'm a Porsche guy and currently own a Boxster S. As much as I wanted to love the new 2024 Cayenne, I couldn't do it. It would be a bit over $100k and didn't please me the way the X does. It was tight on space and archaic compared to the X. I've owned BMW's and most recently a Lexus GX460.

Right after the Porsche drive, I returned to my Tesla SC and took a second hour-long test drive the X again. Other than the Yoke on the demo model this time, it just sealed the deal that the X is my next vehicle. I did not care for the driving dynamic of the Yoke at all.
I am actually waiting for the new Porsche Macan EV to be released later this year. My wife wants to test drive it and see if she likes it. If she does then she said that will be her next car. There are competitors slowly catching up so Tesla will eventually have to address better build quality standards.

Oh, and I am absolutely a "run the ICE car with the fuel light on for 30 more miles before I fill up" kind of guy. :p

Yes, there are known issues with the half shafts and negative camber in the rear but this is from a manufacturer where the X was the second product they ever built from the ground up and now realize their design issues which does not make financial sense to fully redesign since it is a low volume car and their growth focus is somewhere else.
Who is they? I guess this is what doesn't make sense to me at least from a certain perspective. In ICE-land - every vehicle has its own design team and refresh timelines apart from any/all other models. Does Tesla not work this way? If not, why not? There should be a dedicated team of engineers for the MX platform that are always working on updating the platform based upon customer feedback/market demand. I hope this is how Tesla is managing their platforms - but I honestly don't know. I think what you mean is that Tesla overall is no longer focused on producing a higher priced premium line of vehicles (i.e the M/X), and perhaps this is the case. They are clearly more focused on a race to the bottom so to speak - because that's where the volume will be found that is in line with their core mission. However, as long as humans are driving cars and have money, some of those humans want a personally owned luxury vehicle, so it would seem prudent on some level for the time being to continue to develop platform improvements for their S/X products, particularly given there is increasing competition in the marketplace and the opening up of the Tesla SC network will mean it will no longer be necessary to buy a Tesla vehicle to enjoy the benefits of the best SC network on the planet.

Last edited:
I am actually waiting for the new Porsche Macan EV to be released later this year. My wife wants to test drive it and see if she likes it. If she does then she said that will be her next car. There are competitors slowly catching up so Tesla will eventually have to address better build quality standards.

Oh, and I am absolutely a "run the ICE car with the fuel light on for 30 more miles before I fill up" kind of guy. :p
Same. Wife really wants the Macan EV. Have an X on order as well for her, but I'm pretty sure she'll end up telling me to drive the X and she will take the Macan EV.

Every time I need to visit the Tesla service center, I always tell myself no more Teslas. But, we got FUSC on the Model X. And, we REALLY make use of it. Saves us thousands each year versus charging at $0.26/kWh at home. Between work and home, and work and kids' school, there's a couple dozen supercharging stations. So, it's not like we're going out of our way to charge. There's even superchargers at every single retail shopping center around us. One that is just 3 minutes away, down the street. Only store that we go to weekly without a supercharger out in the front is Costco. Tesla needs to partner with them.

I test drove a Macan S as well. Way too small for what I need. Same amount of room as my wife's Audi Q5 (same platform). Hopefully Porsche gets the Macan EV right. They've had some real issues with the Taycan, and my local dealer has them stacked up for repairs.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
I test drove a Macan S as well. Way too small for what I need. Same amount of room as my wife's Audi Q5 (same platform). Hopefully Porsche gets the Macan EV right. They've had some real issues with the Taycan, and my local dealer has them stacked up for repairs.
are you trading in the MYP for the X? The reason I ask, I have an MYP and an ICE (paid off). Loved the X but am torn about which one to trade in. Wanted to see the trend here.

Same. Wife really wants the Macan EV. Have an X on order as well for her, but I'm pretty sure she'll end up telling me to drive the X and she will take the Macan EV.

Every time I need to visit the Tesla service center, I always tell myself no more Teslas. But, we got FUSC on the Model X. And, we REALLY make use of it. Saves us thousands each year versus charging at $0.26/kWh at home. Between work and home, and work and kids' school, there's a couple dozen supercharging stations. So, it's not like we're going out of our way to charge. There's even superchargers at every single retail shopping center around us. One that is just 3 minutes away, down the street. Only store that we go to weekly without a supercharger out in the front is Costco. Tesla needs to partner with them.
Isn't the Macan EV more comparable to the MYP, at least in terms of size?

I'd considered the BMW iX and Porsche Cayenne Turbo E-Hybrid. Test drove them and was impressed by their cabins and handling - which I felt was actually superior to the X. But I really didn't care for the funky styling of the iX, and the Porsche costs significantly more $$. In the end, I went with the MXP for its overall tech, seating for six, and blistering performance...and have no regrets. :)

Who is they? I guess this is what doesn't make sense to me at least from a certain perspective. In ICE-land - every vehicle has its own design team and refresh timelines apart from any/all other models. Does Tesla not work this way? If not, why not? There should be a dedicated team of engineers for the MX platform that are always working on updating the platform based upon customer feedback/market demand. I hope this is how Tesla is managing their platforms - but I honestly don't know. I think what you mean is that Tesla overall is no longer focused on producing a higher priced premium line of vehicles (i.e the M/X), and perhaps this is the case. They are clearly more focused on a race to the bottom so to speak - because that's where the volume will be found that is in line with their core mission. However, as long as humans are driving cars and have money, some of those humans want a personally owned luxury vehicle, so it would seem prudent on some level for the time being to continue to develop platform improvements for their S/X products, particularly given there is increasing competition in the marketplace and the opening up of the Tesla SC network will mean it will no longer be necessary to buy a Tesla vehicle to enjoy the benefits of the best SC network on the planet.
Well, I have been told Elon has said their use of the Model S platform for the Model X was a mistake and cannot be completely fixed without a major redesign. Since the company is going in a different direction (cheaper/mass production for the masses instead of more luxury/high end vehicles), I do not see them spending resources to fully redesign the S/X platform/drivetrain for a low volume product which does not fit their long term goals. Elon affirmed this outlook with his statement that Tesla still makes the S and X more for nostalgia. So even though I really like the S and X platform, the car does not seem to be in his future long term growth vision.

Isn't the Macan EV more comparable to the MYP, at least in terms of size?

I'd considered the BMW iX and Porsche Cayenne Turbo E-Hybrid. Test drove them and was impressed by their cabins and handling - which I felt was actually superior to the X. But I really didn't care for the funky styling of the iX, and the Porsche costs significantly more $$. In the end, I went with the MXP for its overall tech, seating for six, and blistering performance...and have no regrets. :)
Yes, the Model Y is similar size to the Macan.

But, Model Y is just too cheap and basic. That’s why we transferred the FUSC to a new X. One of the biggest factor that shooed us away from the Model Y was the booming hatch noise during a test drive session of a brand new Model Y P. Afterwards, I saw here that it affects many owners. I don't want to have to do go down that road of trying to minimize that phenomenon if we were to get unlucky with one of those Y’s.

Apparently, the booming effect happens to German hatchback cars as well, but they’re able to eliminate it through some clever engineering. I guess Tesla engineers don’t care.

Last edited:
Well, I have been told Elon has said their use of the Model S platform for the Model X was a mistake and cannot be completely fixed without a major redesign. Since the company is going in a different direction (cheaper/mass production for the masses instead of more luxury/high end vehicles), I do not see them spending resources to fully redesign the S/X platform/drivetrain for a low volume product which does not fit their long term goals. Elon affirmed this outlook with his statement that Tesla still makes the S and X more for nostalgia. So even though I really like the S and X platform, the car does not seem to be in his future long term growth vision.
It could become the highest selling car in its class, profitably, if implemented right. I believe we haven't seen the last of them. Elon's words are not very trustworthy as he is combating osborne at every turn.

I'm dropping my 22 MYP off at Carvana this Friday and getting a rental from Enterprise til my tax edition MX comes in. The values keep dropping and I have them locked in at 35K.
Nice. I've had good luck with Carvana on a past sale. My initial Tesla trade in offer (2022 MYP with 12k miles) was $37,700. Carvana was exactly the same making me wonder if Tesla was selling trades to Carvana!

My Tesla offer expired after 30 days and then they lowered it to $37,000. I may get another Carvana quote or try my local CarMax too.