Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pregnant woman hit by MX (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picture the boy standing, leaning back, holding the wheel,
kicking at the pedals, pushing buttons, etc.
High speed jumble of zzoom

Mom exhausted, relieved to be home, guard was down.

I am guessing this because I see bad behavior everywhere now.

"Free range Kids"
Just say no is my standard answer
Worked for me and mine.

No means no.
Thats it.

More difficult to apply in broken homes, and
maybe more important there.
Kids lose what their role is supposed to be

At first, there is resistance, but if you stand on
No Means No
they will stop acting up
because it stopped working.

I'm not too up on 2 year old heights, but it seems they are tall enough to stand on the floor, push the brake with one foot and pull the shifter (leaning against the seat perhaps?). Per the Tesla letter (post 29), there is no requirement for the seat switch to be activated.
I think they would find it challenging to push the brake and pull down the lever. Unless - this is something the kid has practiced with the help of the adults before. Infact, I'd say if this is what happened, I bet the adults have shown the kid exactly how to put the car into drive and drive the car. What pedal to press etc.

This is a lesson for all of us with small kids. Absolutely no need to show them how to do these things.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Pure speculation: I think the woman is lying. Something very different happened (i.e. another person somehow involved) and she’s covering it up by blaming her 2 year old. Perfect alibi because she knows Tesla can pull logs from the car but you can’t pull logs from a 2 year old (trust me, I’ve tried). ;)

Reactions: bhzmark
Pure speculation: I think the woman is lying. Something very different happened (i.e. another person somehow involved) and she’s covering it up by blaming her 2 year old. Perfect alibi because she knows Tesla can pull logs from the car but you can’t pull logs from a 2 year old (trust me, I’ve tried). ;)
First thing I thought about - but difficult to square that with the fact of neighbors coming over to help reverse the car.

Reactions: mongo
Wow... A friend just emailed me this brutal lawsuit: https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/3...ornia-county-of-alameda/harcourt-v-tesla-inc/

Model X spontaneously accelerated into a pregnant woman in her garage and pinned her against the wall.

No one was in the drivers seat. Neighbors ran over and couldn't get the car to stop or reverse.

She had to prematurely deliver her child through a broken pelvic bone.

I've seen the FUD on spontaneous accelerations but always assumed it was a stupid or absent driver.

First time I've ever heard of a case with no one in the driver's seat.
According to those who actually read that, I see the same problem exists in ICE cars. I'd like to see comparison between the two (using safe tests, of course), before declaring one the loser in this stupid matchup.

You can read her Complaint here (Look for the last item down the page #1 for the downloadable pdf):

https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/3...ornia-county-of-alameda/harcourt-v-tesla-inc/

There's more info on what happened in this article. Family Sues Tesla Alleging Design Flaw in 2018 Model X - Two-Year-Old Races SUV into 8-Month Pregnant Mother

She had the car for 3 days. The article says the car was parked in her driveway "with the engine off". You need to read the Complaint (Allegation #10 starts the description of her actions and the car's movement) and the article to get a broader picture of what happened with her coming home from shopping, pulling in the driveway, opening her car doors (not closing them) and leaving with her groceries and her son in tow to take him inside to go to the bathroom. The kid decides to run out to the car instead and climbs in the front seat, she runs out after him but by that time the car was moving forward and hit her and kept moving forward until it had pinned her against the garage/house wall. She left the car doors open so that she could go back into the car presumedly to take additional things out of the car. I don't doubt she put the car in Park but have to wonder if she left her phone or card key in the car while she ran inside.

Here's the info from our Model S manual on Powering off the car. I assume the MX operates the same but MX owners can better speak to what might have happened.

"Powering Off
When you finish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages and all systems keep operating. When you leave Model S with the key , it powers off automatically, turning off the instrument panel and touchscreen."

In the Complaint she stated that the car's falcon wing doors were still open when it started moving. Can the car drive with the falcon doors open?

Last edited:
You can read her Complaint here (Look for the last item down the page #1 for the downloadable pdf):

https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/3...ornia-county-of-alameda/harcourt-v-tesla-inc/

There's more info on what happened in this article. Family Sues Tesla Alleging Design Flaw in 2018 Model X - Two-Year-Old Races SUV into 8-Month Pregnant Mother

She had the car for 3 days. The article says the car was parked in her driveway "with the engine off". You need to read the Complaint and the article to get a broader picture of what happened with her coming home from shopping, pulling in the driveway, opening her car doors (not closing them) and leaving with her groceries and her son in tow to take him inside to go to the bathroom. The kid decides to run out to the car instead and climbs in the front seat, she runs out after him but by that time the car was moving forward and hit her and kept moving forward until it had pinned her against the garage/house wall. She left the car doors open so that she could go back into the car presumedly to take additional things out of the car. I don't doubt she put the car in Park but have to wonder if she left her phone or card key in the car while she ran inside.

Here's the info from our Model S manual on Powering off the car. I assume the MX operates the same but MX owners can better speak to what might have happened.

"Powering Off
When you finish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages and all systems keep operating. When you leave Model S with the key , it powers off automatically, turning off the instrument panel and touchscreen."
Currently, the "Phone Key" functionality doesn't exist for the S and X so that would mean she left her key fob in the car.

BTW I don't think her law firm researched the operation of the car's braking system very well but relied on faulty reports popularized in the news. The Complaint relies on Unintended Acceleration reports as part of their position and stating that there were numerous complaints about this registered with the NHTSA.

Read that and interesting that they now admit to what the boy did. Posted a comment under that thread too. Both these threads should go into a Model X forum area.

So they are still suing to make the car safer and what get a settlement to pay for hospital bills and attorneys time? Shouldn’t this fall under their homeowner’s insurance.