Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X with child in drivers seat allegedly injures woman

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a freak accident, and one cannot possibly program to prevent EVERY possible mishap.

Do you think it would be reasonable for Tesla to prevent all of their vehicles from moving under any circumstances, even without PIN-to-drive, if 1) The door is open AND 2) Driver's seat belt is not on AND 3) Driver is not in the driver's seat.

My feeling is that acceleration should not be allowed in this condition, and the vehicle should only move in this condition if it is in Transport Mode.

I believe that is actually Tesla's design intent, but currently it is NOT the case. See the linked video above.

As an observation, I do find it interesting that most of the folks that are claiming that this woman is responsible for the actions of her child and the general outcome of this scenario have children of their own, and the (seemingly few) folks that argue the opposite apparently do not. By that I mean they at least have not claimed to in this thread. That's not to say that ALL of her critics are parents, or that folks that don't apparently have kids don't also condemn her in this case, but there is some correlation for sure.

This wouldn't surprise me given that parents can be among the harshest critics of other parents. Partially because they understand what is, and is not, possible with kids. Keeping control of your children is difficult, but for obvious reasons it's something one learns very quickly is more important than anything else you are doing, and that certainly includes unloading groceries. The new Model X is very likely not the only hazard in that garage.

Last edited: