TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pregnant woman hit by MX (out of main)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by JohnDinger, May 28, 2019.

1. kyzhk

kyzhk Member

The world would be a much better place if journalist can stick to highlighted.

And no - I think the letter was written just fine. Tesla's lawyer was presenting diagnostic logs from the car and making the case that the Tesla functioned exactly as designed and intended.

It was noted at the end that the sequence of events implied by the diagnostic logs would completely invalidate the plaintiff's version of the story.

Translation of the last sentence: We have data backing us up, don't try anything stupid to screw with us.

• Like x 2
  2. Wooloomooloo

Wooloomooloo Member

We can debate that another time, but you might want to read Martha Gelhorn's reporting from Israel in the 1960's or from the hospital boats after the Normandy landings, and tell me journalism should be reduced to "just the facts ma'am".

I got completely the wrong end of the stick with that letter, and thought it was from Tesla to the plaintiff, not from Tesla's lawyer to the plaintiff's lawyer. My bad, small screen!

• Helpful x 1
  3. anthonyj

anthonyj Stonks

Hate when my S does that

• Funny x 1
  4. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Makes more sense with the details from the Tesla counsel letter. The seat sensor only comes into play if the pedals are not being pressed. If there is a pedal timeout then you need to have two of {seat sensor, door closed, seat belt} or else the car with go into park.

5. sixela

sixela Active Member

To be honest I do not rely on the "automatic" mechanisms to put the car in park. Never ever. I press the button and manually inspect the status to confirm the car is in "P".

Forgetting to apply the hand brake and leaving a Ford Focus (without automatic transmission) in neutral a couple of times is a good teaching experience ;-).

Makes sense, frankly. I wouldn't want my car to go in "P" just because I rearrange my behind (or because there is a sensor misbehaving -- 737MAX anyone?)

• Like x 1
  6. InDaClub

InDaClub Member

• Informative x 5
    • Funny x 2
  7. oneday

oneday Active Member

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. Wooloomooloo

Wooloomooloo Member

It's clearly a misunderstanding of the post as you'll see by my responses in the thread talking about this.

I've undone that rating, I obviously do not condone the sentiment of his post.

As an aside, what exactly is your problem? You've been trolling me for weeks.

• Informative x 1
  9. Wooloomooloo

Wooloomooloo Member

Thank you

• Like x 2
  10. Freder Reeve

Freder Reeve Member

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  11. NinjaVece

NinjaVece Member

Likely spot on. Just like a gas car that was idling with an automatic transmission and the kid pulled down the shift lever into drive. It would then creep forward as automatic transmissions do. The Tesla, once unlocked, is always 'on' in that driver can be engaged simply by pulling on the lever. If the option for 'creep forward' is set (as opposed to requiring the accelerator pressed to move forward), the car will simply slowly move forward once drive is engaged or until the brake is pressed.

This has ZERO to do with 'spontaneous acceleration' but with the grasp of a two year old in a vehicle that has 'creep forward' enabled when it is in drive.

• Like x 1
  12. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

See post 29 Pregnant woman hit by MX (out of main) full run down on events, accelerator was pressed.

13. NinjaVece

NinjaVece Member

Two year old standing on the seat could easily satisfy the weight sensor. I've NEVER seen it shift back into park when I turn to look behind me. And the child engaging drive when 'creep forward' is optioned in the settings will cause the car to slowly move forward without any push of the accelerator. This is a simple explanation.

14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

This is an example of why PIN-to-drive is a good idea for people with kids. (Since the key doesn't have to be physically in the vehicle for them to "start" and drive it.

• Like x 2
  15. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

The brake needs to be pressed to shift into drive.
    The park on look issue is if you are unbelted (or belted and door open), and apparently only happens if you are not pressing either pedal (creep or roll)

• Like x 1
  16. Icer

Icer Member

Kid proofing life is an issue
    Neighbors youngest, a holy terror was
    playing in his brothers perfect hot rod Chevelle

Making engine noises, etc.

He managed to get the stick shift car rolling down the hill
    Leaped out the window hollering about halfway down,
    hitting the street with a noticeable splat

Car ended up stopping harmlessly in a field of milkweed

Funniest part was, for what seemed like weeks,
    his brother in cleaning the car (which he seemed to do full time)..
    ...every time he found another trace of milkweed
    he would chase the younger brother
    around threatening to kill him.

Little brother was never too quick witted,
    but he had fortunately learned
    to be quick on his feet.

Then he would hide till Dad came home
    This went on for weeks
    They probably still fight about it today.

• Funny x 3
    • Informative x 1
  17. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

I don't think the initial story really adds up. Why would you go to the front of the car to stop the kid from messing with the car - wouldn't you go to the side ? I still find it difficult to believe a 2 yr old can press the brake and shift - mainly because of the reach. But if its a tall kid, may be.

All in all - having that kid in the driver's seat makes it a lot more likely that the kid got the car to the drive position than the car misbehaving.

• Like x 1
  18. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

I'm not too up on 2 year old heights, but it seems they are tall enough to stand on the floor, push the brake with one foot and pull the shifter (leaning against the seat perhaps?). Per the Tesla letter (post 29), there is no requirement for the seat switch to be activated.

19. anthonyj

anthonyj Stonks

Maybe the kid was short (ba dum tsh)

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  20. cadetsea

cadetsea Member

This could probably get published in some poetry anthology.

• Like x 1